Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Boyfriend is a 6.
I'm trying to figure out if some of his traits are due to being E6 or something else (such as his tritype, variant, MBTI, etc).

I know his tritype was 6-1-x (can't remember the last number) and his highest instinctual variant is SP (although not sure which is lowest; SX or SO).

A few things:
- it takes him a really long time to make a decision. A ridiculously long amount of time. I could return to dust by the time he chooses which action to take. Why?

- He has said before that he's "afraid to succeed". Can anyone else relate to this?

- He constantly complains about how his friends blow him off, but doesn't do anything about it (not sure if this is just a "guy thing". :p)

Anyone is welcome to respond.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
992 Posts
First off did you have him take the test to ensure that he is a six, or did you suggest it from research? Secondly, for a more accurate result a MBTI type and tritype could define almost all about him for everyone to figure this out. Until more info I can't be accurate to you, maybe someone else could describe more broadly that is more experienced with the information too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off did you have him take the test to ensure that he is a six, or did you suggest it from research? Secondly, for a more accurate result a MBTI type and tritype could define almost all about him for everyone to figure this out. Until more info I can't be accurate to you, maybe someone else could describe more broadly that is more experienced with the information too.
Combination of tests and research.
His MBTI, when we tested it, was ISTJ.
As I stated above, his tritype was 6-1-x. Not sure of the last number.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Combination of tests and research.
His MBTI, when we tested it, was ISTJ.
As I stated above, his tritype was 6-1-x. Not sure of the last number.
The last number for his tritype has to be a 2, 3, or 4.

********This is just the best I can do for you because it seems no one can help me confirm what I am saying, so I could be spot on to not even completely hitting the target********

Well I mistyped myself as a 6-1-3 previously so I could explain if I was in his place. Also, a tritype description is on here written by madhatter: http://http://personalitycafe.com/enneagram-personality-theory-forum/73452-27-tritype-archetype-descriptions.html
Also, I find timeless' descriptions incredibly helpful on anything ennegram type related.

The first question pertains from what I see a mix from my mistype 6 and ISTJ. You obviously know how we ISTJs think because you are one, for the sake of others and possibly you:
http://http://personalitycafe.com/istj-articles/12695-istj-time-management.html

So mainly as that we are methodical and can take some time out to analyze things. Also, analyzing is part of a head triad thing. It can take us a while to digest the information. The taking a lot of time part is more a 6 thing over the whole triad thing though because we want to make sure we make the right decision. (result of over analyzing the situation)

On the second part it could depend on that final number. The fear part is totally correct for being a 6, but the succeeding part plays into the succeeding part. So to be vague and spare you some time and annoyance I'll explain it as best as I can. He could be a phobic 6 where he doesn't want to draw attention to himself, and mostly an unhealthy 6w7 from what I deduce from your explanation of him.

The third part from what I can see is from the unhealthy 6w7 with the ISTJ, so he has become sensitive to trust and his might not like the way he is behaving so they treat him differently than he's used to. ISTJs like things to be consistent so it's out of what he's used to. He also could be using them as an example from the unhealthy 6w7. On here: http://http://personalitycafe.com/type-6-forum-loyalist/39231-enneatype-6-wings.html it describes about the 6s and it's wings since you know him better.

Also, the SP instinctual variant explains why he's so distant sometimes (according to you) and could explain why he says he's afraid to succeed. I guessed the wing variant from the description that you said so he might be either type 5 or 7 wing for his dominant 6.

Finally, to wrap up this all I did was a diagnosis from what I gathered and knew. From the first post you didn't say anything about problems from him, so I just thought that was what it was. As I said we need another person to find out the similarities and such.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
MBTI type visible behaviors tend to concern negative/avoidance of the inferior, rather than anything to do with the dominant. Therefore, something like "Pff, who cares about what's 'really going on' if that doesn't actually influence the situation?" would be one of your best tools for identifying inferior Ne and by extension dominant Si. It's taken months of self questioning to realize that I view reality as my own internal conceptions of it; realizing the above inferior Ne example is much easier.

Enneagram is easier in this regard, but it would be preferable to have him study things himself. Actually, it goes for both.

MBTI Info: First, this, mostly for the beginning part. Then, this and this.

Enneagram: This site.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
So Boyfriend is a 6.
I'm trying to figure out if some of his traits are due to being E6 or something else (such as his tritype, variant, MBTI, etc).

I know his tritype was 6-1-x (can't remember the last number) and his highest instinctual variant is SP (although not sure which is lowest; SX or SO).

A few things:
- it takes him a really long time to make a decision. A ridiculously long amount of time. I could return to dust by the time he chooses which action to take. Why?

- He has said before that he's "afraid to succeed". Can anyone else relate to this?

- He constantly complains about how his friends blow him off, but doesn't do anything about it (not sure if this is just a "guy thing". :p)

Anyone is welcome to respond.
Thanks in advance!
Hmm sounds kinda like me :p. <.< I don't remember having you as a girlfriend thou!!! XD hahah

^^; ok, ok I'll answer. Slow to decide=doubts and need for certainty (a 6 thing)+weighing up pros and cons, gathering more info to make a better decision (this sounds like he is a P and not a J, meaning extroverted irrational function. All that crap about being neat and tidy vs. my room is a pigsty is bs...thou mine is and I have been "cleaning" for weeks. ^^ I swear!).

Fear of success is also a 6 thing. Success makes us stick out, added responsibilities and piling lack of security. Type 6 likes flying under the radar. Plenty of highly successful 6es out there thou, he just needs to stand up to his fear. It could also be an excuse for something he doesn't really want to do. (because he wants to do something else instead <.< but doesn't want to disappoint because of expectations.)

I don't get the last one, but friends who blow one off are not friends. End of story. This may be his need to be liked thou, need for external validation *shrug*.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone.
He is indulgent in regard to my obsession with the Enneagram. He has taken a few tests but mostly only to appease me. I believe I will try to encourage him to look into it more, seeing as how the Enneagram has helped me address a lot of different aspects in terms of my personality. MBTI has also helped with this.

But from what you guys are saying, a few of the things I just don't understand about him are probably attributed to his dom. 6.

Also, I am pretty confident I am an ISTJ....and my way of going about a decision is more like "is this a good idea? I think so. I'm going to go for it!" and then a few months later, deciding that maybe I should reanalyze my decision, more thoroughly this time. Maybe it's a mistype on my part, I'm not sure.

But thank you, everyone, for your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts