Personality Cafe banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

1.) Do you read entire books orally?

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites?

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade?

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language?

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun?

6.) What are your favorite writings?

7.) Who are your favorite authors?

8.) Have you dabbled in writing?

(After many painstaking decades, experts have recreated a visual representation of an avid reader in her natural habitat. Notice the calm attitude, intense focus, and detached head.)

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
1.) Do you read entire books orally? No

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? I'm different towards them

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? 1, 1, 10, 100

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? lol

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? Yeah, I've read a dictionary

6.) What are your favorite writings? The Catcher in the Rye, The Great Gatbsy, The Harry Potter series, etc

7.) Who are your favorite authors? idk

8.) Have you dabbled in writing? Yes

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? I have no real opinion

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? Many

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? No

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? I've read some encyclopaedia for fun, yes

6.) What are your favorite writings? I like both fiction and non-fiction equally

7.) Who are your favorite authors? I have many, although Orwell, le Guin, King, Shakespeare and Hemingway are some of my favourites

Yes - poems, short stories and fanfiction so far. I would like to eventually write novels and possibly non-fiction books on subjects I find interesting.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
1.) Do you read entire books orally? No, I would probably get tired of my own voice.

I like some. I like to hear how the characters might sound from another person's perspective. I don't really have a favorite, I haven't heard many.

I haven't read much lately, but I can read two books in a week because it would only take me a few days to finish each if I'm really into it. I once read about 20 books in a school year. Maybe 100 last decade.

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language?
Nuh uh!

lolz. Well not the entire thing just a few words that popped up.

.) What are your favorite writings? Just fiction. The Color Purple, The Road to Memphis, Slam...

Walter Dean Myers, Mildred D. Taylor.

Only for school.

·
Registered
526 Posts
1.) Do you read entire books orally? Yes. I love reading aloud and doing voices....usually I've already read them though, and am reading them to someone else.

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? HATE them. HATE. Did I mention HATE?

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? ~8, 35, no idea, WAY too many to count

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? I can't read my own handwriting, and I'm not crazy.

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? Yeah, I've read a dictionary

6.) What are your favorite writings? The ROAD, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Peter Pan, Little Prince, Watership Down, Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy...so many more.

7.) Who are your favorite authors? that's hard...Terry Pratchett, Douglas Adams, Ken Kesey, William S. Goldman, etc.

·
Registered
342 Posts

Yes, because I am a teacher, so I often read books to my class. And I used to read to my son when he was younger although now he is 7 he usually reads to himself.

The only one I've heard is Wil Wheaton's "The Happiest Days of Our Lives" and I really enjoyed it, I liked all his extra asides and the inflection he put in it.

It depends, can be up to 3 or 4 a week, about 50 to 100 a year?

Only once!

Nooooooo way! That's not fun!

I like Catcher In The Rye, How Stella Got Her Groove Back, The Lost Art Of Keeping Secrets, The Gum Thief, The Blind Assassin, Harry Potter books, His Dark Materials trilogy, Pride and Prejudice, The Firework Maker's Daughter, The Picture of Dorian Gray, Water For Elephants, Fermat's Last Theorem

Douglas Coupland, Margaret Atwood, Agatha Christie, Mavis Cheek, Harold Pinter (playwright really), Philip Pullman. I am currently looking for a new favourite author to get into!

Yes I have written 2 novels, trying to get one published and preparing to start the next one!

·
Banned
24 Posts

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? Don't listen to them.

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? 0,0,16,160

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? No

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? No

6.) What are your favorite writings? Dune, Stranger in a Strange Land, The Trigger, The End of Eternity

7.) Who are your favorite authors? Frank Herbert, Philip K. Dick

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
1.) Do you read entire books orally? No not even when I was first learning to read did I read aloud.

I'm not into Audio books,I'd rather read my books and listen to my music.

I can read about three books a week,but Usually I read a book then wait about two-three weeks to read another book.

No.

No.I like books not dictionaries.

.) What are your favorite writings? The Unbearable Lightness of being,Lolita,Thus spake zarthurstra,looking for alaska,Undressing the moon,Missing may,Tuck everlasting.

7.) Who are your favorite authors?[/B] MILAN KUNDERA.

I love to write. I rarely share my writing though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1.) Do you read entire books orally? No. I only read out loud when I need to memorize something.

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? I don't really have an opinion on them. I've never listened to any audio books, but the idea itself sounds quite useful to me.

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? I have no idea. I probably go trough no more that 3 books a week. I can also go for months without reading any books. It all really depends on my mood.

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? No, I've never done that.

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? Yes, I used love reading encyclopedias. I was completely obsessed with them.

6.) What are your favorite writings? The Book Thief by Zusak, The Master and Margarita by Bulgakov, 1984 by Orwell, etc. But I do enjoy both fiction and non-fiction.

7.) Who are your favorite authors? Mikhail Bulgakov, H. G. Wells, George Orwell, Haruki Murakami, John Fowles, etc.

8.) Have you dabbled in writing? Well, yes. But I have to admit that I'm not very good at it.

·
Registered
INFP
1,268 Posts

I read like 5-6 during a semester on top of my mandatory reading.

Uh no! I've read a couple of pages on a few occasion but I always stop easily.. If you read the dictionary entirely and you remember only like 3-7% of it you can learn so many new words!

·
Registered
161 Posts

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? Why not? Good for travels (mp3 player) and enables people who don't traditionally read books to enjoy more of them.

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? I really would have no idea. I go through phases where I'll rip through tens of books in a few days per book, then I'll stop reading for a while until I get myself another batch.

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? When I was younger and found out the way they teach languages in school didn't satisfy me I did it for English. When I was like 8-9 I think. Figured English was a language I should know somewhat well. It worked but I haven't been able to muster up the motivation to do it for any other language so far.

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? No, but I love wikipedias random article-button and stumbleupon. When I was a kid we had an encyclopedia britannica cd that I loved going through

6.) What are your favorite writings? The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan is one of my all time favourites and has influenced my thinking a lot. Hm, my INTPness is showing through isn't it...

7.) Who are your favorite authors? Definitely not Chomsky, he's cool otherwise but writes in a really, really dry fashion. David Simon has so far managed to most immerse me with his descriptive non-fiction.

8.) Have you dabbled in writing? Yes. I got good feedback for it in School but that's most likely because the standards are so low. Haven't shown anything to anyone in years.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
1.) Do you read entire books orally? Yes, children's books read aloud to children. Otherwise, no.

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? They're great for longer trips. No favorites.

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? Lately it's less, but I still try to read one book/month.

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? Not usually, unless I'm having a hard time understanding the author.

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? Read the entire thing, word for word--no. Spent an hour or two thumbing through a volume and reading interesting articles--sure.

6.) What are your favorite writings? I read a lot of different stories, authors, and genres, but I find myself reading more Non-Fiction as I get older.

7.) Who are your favorite authors? Covey, Dobson, Orwell, C.S.Lewis, and a lot of technical authors related to my trade.

8.) Have you dabbled in writing? Yes.

·
Registered
815 Posts

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? Never listened to one.

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? I think it averages out to like 5-10 a year. This year I've already read like 10 though.

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? I tried once...The Alchemist by Paul Coelho but got bored

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? No

6.) What are your favorite writings? The Catcher in the Rye, The Little Prince, The Outsiders

7.) Who are your favorite authors? Chuck Klosterman, S.E. Hinton, Sophia Kinsella

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
If the writing style isn't similar to what my pattern is, in my mind, then it needs serious compensation. That is in the similarity of thoughts that I have have had before.

I want to discover for myself. This is key. Your interpretation is yours.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
[
1.)
Do you read entire books orally?

No

2.)
SIZE=3]What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites?[/SIZE]

They are nice for the car, but I'd rather hold the paper.

Week: 2
Month: 10
Year: 120
Decade: 1000
Note: These are approximatiosn based on the idea that I am reading a 400-600 page novel and I am continuously reading books like that.

4.)
Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language?

Say what?

I have. Just the encyclopedia- not the dictionary.

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, the Greek and Roman Epics.

Homer, Vergil, John Milton, Glenn Beck (he's funny), J.K. Rowling, J.R.R. Tolkien.

Yes, and I am looking to get published.

(After many painstaking decades, experts have recreated a visual representation of an avid reader in her natural habitat. Notice the calm attitude, intense focus, and detached head.)

·
mafia mod
13,335 Posts
1.) Do you read entire books orally? no, but I do read parts orally

2.) What’s your opinion on audio books? What are your favorites? No opinion, really

3.) How many books do you read in a week, month, year, or decade? Depends

4.) Have you copied books longhand to further understand/enjoy the author’s language? No, but its a good idea

5.) Have you read the entire encyclopedia/dictionary for fun? yes

6.) What are your favorite writings? Slaughterhouse 5, Great Expectations, Treasure Island

7.) Who are your favorite authors? Robert Louis Stevenson, A Conan Doyle, Joseph Conrad

8.) Have you dabbled in writing? No, I hate to write.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Oh, hell no.

I hate them. They're way too slow.

Not many - broke and I hate 'e-books.' But I can read a 200-paged book with a few more pages in about a day, and once I read a 300 paged one in about two hours. At that rate, I'm pretty sure I could down quite a few in a week.

...No.

I have no idea how reading a dictionary can be fun. Perhaps an encyclopedia but more for the 'OMG LET'S TURN THE PAGE AND SEE WHAT WE GET,' kind of way.

Same for music; cannot choose, they all have their own attributes.

See above. Not to mention, I don't really do 'authors.' I just get a book I feel like.

Since I was about nine. When I hated reading, no less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts