Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

How do you respond to someone talking down to you?

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

Do you need a lot of attention in relationships?

Are you really sarcastic?

Are you silly?

Do people mistake your reservedness for aloofness?

Do you have a hard time expressing yourself verbally?

Are you a talented writer?

What do you want to be when you grow up (career)?

·
Registered
7,676 Posts
How do you respond to authority figures in your life? Do you generally question authority or are you pretty submissive?

Question, definitely. Give me reasons, legitimate ones, and I don't mind following. Don't, be unjust, illogical or unreasonable, and I will question and challenge. Blame my parents ^^

It depends on the situation. A stranger? I'd scoff and not even bother replying. If it was someone I was close to, I'd try to understand what could I have possibly done to deserve such a treatment but eventually I'd distance myself from them because real friends don't do this sort of stuff. If they were mere acquaintances, I'd either ignore or retort depending on my mood.

Are you very emotionally reactive? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

That's such a broad statement.. I guess I can be emotionally reactive around people I'm close to, in that I don't mind expressing how I feel, I actually have trouble holding back sometimes. On the other hand, I can't stand being dramatic, especially in public. I can't stand people who have to broadcast how pissed/happy/devastated they are, it feels very fake, and screams "pay attention to me!"

Yes. :unsure:

I can be, depending on who I'm with. My INTJ friend is really skilled in bringing out the sarcastic, dark side of me.

Are you silly?

Oh, yes.

Yes *sigh*

Not at all, actually. Voicing my beliefs and feelings is something I'm really good at, never had issues in that area. Repressing them, I suck royally at.

Nope, I'm very meh.

I want to be a therapist, possibly working with children, possibly with autistic children :D

·
Registered
799 Posts

I'm fairly submissive. I do what I'm told. Unless I'm told to spell correctly; that I cannot do.

Hate it. I inform them that they should perhaps shut up.

I tend to be reserved in public. I'm pretty stable, I don't explode. I tend to react to good things more vividly.

I like that kind of attention, but can cope with less, if there's not that much available. I tend to give a lot of attention.

No, I want to keep it short during the summer.

Are you silly?

Yes, very silly.

Most probably. Though, I've opened up considerably over the past few years.

Sometimes. It depends on the day. My language centre in my brain seems to take a vacation some days.

Well, I think I'm able to string a few words together.

I want to be Morgan Freeman.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
INFP 6w7 1w2 4w5 possibly counterphobic Sx/?? something.

Submissive if I depend on the authority in some way (aka there are benefits), even so I question his/her actions, intentions...constant scrutiny. Otherwise I'm very rebellious, question everything and if I don't like what I'm seeing I'll revolt, overthrow, expose and basically destroy the authority figure. I can be very confrontational and accusatory. Outside of work I don't like it when someone tells me what to do. It makes me combative and rebellious. Used to be very rebellious with parents...I still find it difficult to listen to their "advice"

I snap back, I won't allow anyone to push me around, at first in a more assertive manner :\ then I just let them have it ,if the assertiveness didn't work (unless its work and the person is my boss, I need the money and am willing to take a certain amount of constructive criticism. If its the not constructive, then I quit and the tell him/her to go impale themselves somewhere. I don't take bs.). As I said I can be very reactive in a defensive kind of way.

I can keep cool on the surface while boiling on the inside and will avoid being reactive in public unless I feel its needed. I'm very reactive with everyone minus my girlfriend. I like talking things out in stead of arguing, in fact ;\ I like talking things out in general <.< just people always feel the need to step on my toes and I don't take kindly to that. I don't cry to or go "woes me", I get mad and "kick some ass".

No not really, but I like feeling very close/intimate with my partner. In fact I don't like clingy people and am not like that either.

No.

Are you silly?

^^; yes...it lightens the mood.

o.o I think so, don't know. I'm not very talkative in real life and tend to react to others the way they engage me, so maybe. I'm not aware how that is perceived by others. Most (if not all) people like me, but I'm difficult to get to know without the right effort and have problems maintaining friendships.

Yes very...it doesn't come out right. It all makes sense in my head XD but not when it comes out lmao.

I have a certain raw talent for it yes, but I only discovered it recently and haven't felt like writing lately. Must be stress from work...haven't felt like much lately. Its not all that gr8 thou, think I don't read enough in order to make proper use of it. (am a bit dyslexic...-.- or my attention to details is non existent)

:p I am grown up, studied psychology and engineering, foreign languages as well....now I work in business...can't say I like it nor do I absolutely hate it. I'm still searching for my career. o.o also good with children...:blushed:

·
Registered
4,447 Posts

I am generally submissive to them at first. I'm sadden to say that I am almost blind to authority... I just follow what any leader tells me to do.

It's only when I get to see them abuse their power is when I smirk and go, "Whatever." and start to rebel. It's so hilarious when it happens.

It just depends.

I get very upset, of course. Embarrassed even.

When I know I'm about to break down or burst into tears, I just try to find someplace private to let it all out. But I have had unfortunate circumstances where I couldn't do that and I do it in front of people.

I fear this because I can be clingy to the person I am in love with. It's a flaw that I want to overcome.

Depends on my mood.

Are you silly?

:D Why yes.

Oh hell yeah. I have been a target of bullying over this and people act like I'm too cool for them but it's not that at all.

Yes! I remember (Please please please don't let me be the only person who does this) whenever I couldn't express myself verbally to my parents, that I just give them a letter and run away before they open it. XD

I have been told many times that I am. I think it's a natural trait in most INFPs to be so talented in the literature department. The Harry Potter series and Lord of The Rings series were both made by INFPs.

I had joked to myself (and others) that I want to be a novelist. Realistically, though, I want to get into computer animation. I love to draw, and to see them come to life would be an exciting thing to see. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replying guys I really enjoy reading your answers!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for replying, and I'm sure you could be a novelist one day if you really wanted to! That's actually one of my career goals =)

I am generally submissive to them at first. I'm sadden to say that I am almost blind to authority... I just follow what any leader tells me to do.

It's only when I get to see them abuse their power is when I smirk and go, "Whatever." and start to rebel. It's so hilarious when it happens.

It just depends.

I get very upset, of course. Embarrassed even.

When I know I'm about to break down or burst into tears, I just try to find someplace private to let it all out. But I have had unfortunate circumstances where I couldn't do that and I do it in front of people.

I fear this because I can be clingy to the person I am in love with. It's a flaw that I want to overcome.

Depends on my mood.

Are you silly?

:D Why yes.

Oh hell yeah. I have been a target of bullying over this and people act like I'm too cool for them but it's not that at all.

Yes! I remember (Please please please don't let me be the only person who does this) whenever I couldn't express myself verbally to my parents, that I just give them a letter and run away before they open it. XD

I have been told many times that I am. I think it's a natural trait in most INFPs to be so talented in the literature department. The Harry Potter series and Lord of The Rings series were both made by INFPs.

I had joked to myself (and others) that I want to be a novelist. Realistically, though, I want to get into computer animation. I love to draw, and to see them come to life would be an exciting thing to see. :)

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I generally don't get along with them. I question authority all the time.

Tell them to fuck off.

If you wrong me, I will et you know about it. I'm not afraid to duke it out with you, even in public. Especially in public because I don't want to look like an ass in public.

Mostly a lot of sex, but attention is allways good, although I do need my space.

Not a whole lot, but I can be.

Are you silly?
Yeah, pretty silly.

Maybe, who knows. I guess I never really asked them.

Yeah I have a hard time thinking on my feet, but if I thought about what I want to say I could say it better.

Damn right I am!!!

Professional musician/writer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Why, I question all of authority! Read my mood. and this fact about me has gotten me kicked of of other public forums...I'm glad it wasn't this one.
I usually don't say anything back, because my mouth shuts down, and I sound like an idiot. Inside, I'm dreaming of the best ways to hurt them. In multiple ways.
yes, but only with those I am comfortable with. I shut down on the outside in public, and find the nearest corner to hide in.
Depends. I give a lot of attention, and I expect some back. I try not to be clingy, but I am a little more open about my feelings now, and if I'm having a bad day, I'll find the nearest friend to talk to.
I'm as sarcastic as Mt. Everest is short.
Are you silly?
Why? Are you not silly?
Dunno, didn't ask.

My mouth shuts down more than an xbox with the red ring of death.
It's something I've been told. I write lots of things. been known to randomly write lyrics to songs at 3 am right when I wake up.
I'm not sure yet.
list: Programmer, Game Designer, engineer, psychologist, and more.

·
Registered
75 Posts

I definitely question almost anyone who has authority over me, but I only do so inside my head, the only person I do question out loud is my mother lol

I'd feel pretty hurt but probably think to myself that they must be right at least a little, quietly accept it and emotionally distance myself from them

I'm usually not. The only time I am overly emotional is when I'm around friends or something who are hyper or excited, I tend to take on some of their energy, but usually I'm pretty stoic. I tend to think my emotions rather than feel them.

I would go with yes. When it comes to friendships I just need people to chat me up every now and then and make sure I'm doing alright or else I start to feel useless and kinda unwanted. When it comes to romantic relationships I would love for someone to be really in to me and affectionate - waiting for that day to come lol

How else would I communicate with people? Usually I'm just sarcastic with people I don't like or am mad at, to kinda mask the feelings of hurt. With friends I'm only sarcastic occasionally like if we are joking or something.

Are you silly?

Not by default.

Sometimes, usually the people who do mistake it are the only ones that do and they do it often.

Yes and no, it depends greatly on what I'm talking about. When I'm explaining other things, or other peoples thoughts, I never do. When I'm explaining how I feel, I feel like I can never be completely understood. Meh.

I've been known to mostly 100's on my essays.

Either a writer or a musician.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I always question authority, but I only vocalize it if I deem it necessary. Especially if it is my job on the line.

In fear of looking weak, I tend to stay silent despite being extremely upset on the inside. If I open my mouth, I am likely to bawl my eyes out or go on a rampage.

I am only emotionally reactive with my significant other. In public, I only become reactive if I am offended on a very deep level. Then I will likely lash out verbally.

Intermittently. I like my time alone and I respect their time alone, but I also do not want to be ignored. Sometimes I am satisfied with just being acknowledged through a text message.

Only when I am feeling very cynical - which is generally triggered by seeing a sad event in the news or someone's rights being trampled over.

Are you silly?
Yes, with close friends. They know I have a child-like affinity for animals and cute things, and that brings out the sillier side.

When people first meet me, I believe they perceive me as meek or timid rather than "aloof". Like, if a political discussion comes up I won't voice my opinion (despite being fiercely opinionated on matters of civil rights and ethics in business) in fear of the acquaintance disapproving.

Not normally, but at times I get tongue tied because my brain is thinking faster than I can speak. This normally happens in a work environment.

I like to think so.

When I was a child, I wanted to be an animator. I grew up to be a graphic designer. I think the little me would be pretty satisfied.

·
Registered
733 Posts

it very much depends on what position of authority they have, generally, in my working life I have been reluctant to vocally challenge a boss, but in school I have bickered with many teachers, not that I don't respect them, I just feel more comfortable challenging them in that environment. As for my parents, I will challenge them, but luckily that just isn't necessary most of the time.

I feel disrespected and angry. I'm not by default an easily angered person, but I get really annoyed when someone talks down to me. I take it personally, as a reflection of that person's judgment of my intelligence.

not in public at all

around those I'm comfortable with, yes.

I don't think so, I like to get invites, just to know I'm considered, but I'm not a very needy person in friendships, as for romantic relationships, probably more needy, it's very hard to say, really.

yes.

Are you silly?

in the right mood, yes, one could even mistake me for an extrovert when in that mood though, not really able to describe it... like, having 5 cups of coffee too much.

I am accused of not caring quite often, this also comes from my friends, the majority of whom are evangelical christians, my atheism strikes them as apathetic, but they misunderstand my view of the world.

This very much depends on the subject at hand, and they size and makeup of the audience. Most of the time, yes is the answer, but if I'm talking about something I really know and love, then I feel like I can communicate fairly well.
Text is my comfort zone, though my grammar is less than stellar I'm sure.
I still feel like I can type better than I can talk, it's the ability to play with the words before you can send them I think... presenting a whole thought in a package rather than piecing the words together as I go.

I honestly have no idea, I have an extreme aversion to letting anyone see my work. Having my papers graded is a gruelling experience, and causes me a lot of anxiety... I'll even come back to forums and delete old posts, because I hate seeing my own words.

Biological Anthropologist
or
Musician
or
I don't know, ask me when I'm 50.

·
Registered
417 Posts

I'm not naturally one to respect authority, but I also know when to keep my mouth shut and grin and bear it. However I will respect a leader if I believe in what he or she is doing, where the person is going and the ethics the person is using to get there.

I honestly try to suppress these daggers I have for words as long as I can, I generally try to avoid such people who talk to me in this manner, but when someone catches me on a bad day with such demeaning behavior, my acid tongue is inevitably going to leave some psycho scars:)

Are you very emotionally active? If so, are you emotionally reactive in public or just with those you are comfortable with?

This never ceases to shock those who are around me when I tell them this, but I am extremely emotional, as my Fi and Te functions are both on the extremes. I almost never let even those who are close to see my emotional reactions, I have hiding my emotions and feelings down to a science......But when I come home and close the door, I sob like a baby....

I'm not one that needs to be showered with kisses, however I do highly value intimacy, and I would like to see that the love, time and effort I put into a relationship is having an effect......

It's not my norm, but if I'm in a bad mood my sarcasm can get pretty nasty....

Are you silly?

Lol, God...yes....

Yes, especially my family members....

Sometimes, especially if I have too much caffeine, however, I'm a lot better than I used to be at verbal expression:)

Well, Iv'e been writing since I was eight so I'd like to think so:)

Psychologist/Psychiatrist and/or a Writer:)

·
PerC's 6w6
5,874 Posts

It depends. If it’s something constant (ie the law) I’m not really bothered and don’t really tend to question it. If it’s someone imposing an arbitrary rule I disagree with for whatever reason (or find flawed) and giving no quarter to dissenting ideas/opinions then I tend to become more questioning and silently belligerent.

It depends on how involved I am with the situation and person. If it’s someone I don’t speak to often or a stranger I may just ignore it.

If it’s someone in my family who I have to deal with I prefer to handle it right then and there and make sure they don’t take that line again (my family… ugh).

If it’s a close friend I’d probably do the same but politely, or confront them at a later date about it.

Not unless under extreme pressure or after it’s happened a lot. I find internalizing my emotions is better, and that it makes one think and act more clearly and people can’t write your outburst off as “she’s just being emotional”. Hence, logic helps in such situations

I think I need more attention than I admit, but I am not really worried as long as I know the other person doesn’t hate me and so can go weeks or longer without speaking to them. I’m trying not to though: to be one of those people who’s a “set it and forget it” kind of person.

Yes, but I don’t speak out the sarcasm – it’ll be something I retort in silence. Unless it’s a person who’s being stupid or if I have to confront them about their behavior.

Are you silly?

Oh yes :D.

Yes, and this is a good thing. Makes it easier to watch others.

Yes: very.

Yes. Well what that means is I’m better at expressing myself via text than verbally

Don’t really know: I’d like to do something in IT or Human Rrsources maybe. Or something else. Really not sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I always question authority. If I respect someone, see them as highly capable and intelligent, and see them setting an example and a standard... I will rarely question them, and only then if they are asking me to do something against my values. If, however, the authority figure has not proven their worth as an authority figure, is hypocritical/sets a double standard for themselves vs. others, cannot come to logical conclusions, cannot solve problems on their own, etc... I can't respect them, and I will always question their authority and push limits.

I get very offended! This may be one of the rare occasions when I will speak up for myself directly. I recall a time when I had been with a company for over a year, working with the severely mentally handicapped elderly. A girl started work, had only been there a month and was working toward a master's degree (in psychology, I believe). One of my residents (in a group of 20 that I had to keep together and keep track of) had begun walking towards the bathroom. As I got on the walkie to call a nurse (in order to stay with the group), she came around the corner and brought him back to the group; then she decided to tell me how to do my job properly and not let the residents wander off because (SURPRISE!) they are severely mentally ill. What?? Really? They are? DERP, I had no idea!! Thanks for letting me know!!

Ahh, I was not proud of that moment. I actually chastised her for telling me how to do the job I had been doing for well for over a year. I think the reason it got to me so much is because I am always doubting myself, and worrying that I'm not doing good enough. I never thought I could handle a job like that, but it turns out I could, and I was very good at it.

If you knew me though, you would know how EXTREMELY out of character it is for me to stand up for myself in that way, I'm not a doormat, but I'm not outright rude to people, and never on the spot/in the moment. That girl and I never got along... She was supposed to be my assistant, but I never called for her and she never helped. Not exactly sure what she did all day...

I think I am. I'm not good at discussing my emotions, especially if they are of sadness, but usually anyone can see how I feel just by looking at my face. I can keep a poker face if someone hurts me... long enough to get away from the situation and break down if need be.

My emotional reactions don't always go with the situation, though. Sometimes it takes me time to analyze and process information to feel how I should feel about it. In the meanwhile, sure, I might appear numb or emotionless... This is a difficult question. I don't really react in a specific way every time...

The short answer is, yes. I have to feel that my SO is reachable and is happy to hear from me any time I contact him. If he puts no effort into calling me, sending me sweet texts, or generally being in contact with me... I feel rejected. When we're together, I need to know that he is excited that I'm there and that he is undistracted (unless we've mutually agreed to do separate things like read, or play video games, or work on separate projects). I need him to put me first above just about everything. (I'm talking about a serious relationship headed towards marriage here.) Yep... I need a ton of attention. I don't need constant mushiness, hands all over me all the time, taking couples pictures and putting them all over facebook, nothing like that... just real love.

Just in jest, and I always say I'm just joking. I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

Are you silly?
Sooooo silly. :-D

Occasionally... but I'll usually recognize that assumption, and if I care, I'll try to elaborate or contribute a bit more.

YES. YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. Affirmative.

Talented? Mmm... doubtful. I can write well enough, but I don't think I'm talented. I can entertain people with my creative writing, but I think that's just because my imagination is so vivid and bizarre.

I just want to help people, in whatever way I can. I don't care about money except for it's ability to allow my boyfriend (soon-ish to be husband) retire early which is his dream.

Great questions :) Thanks for that!

·
Registered
583 Posts
I'll gladly work with the group, but I feel no particular allegiance to the authority for its own sake.

I'm not good at responding well at the moment, because the condescension will usually get under my skin and take me unaware. It will make me uncomfortable for a long time, however, and when I puzzle it over, I'll have a clear way to articulate what I think of it. Next time, perhaps, I'll have a better response.

Yes, but not openly. In private, that might be a different story.

I'm pretty low maintenance, but I might be needy in the earlier stages of the relationship, where I'm unsure if the rapport has been established or not.

Not especially.

Are you silly?
Yes, but this isn't always apparent. My introversion often gives people the impression of seriousness.

Yes. But if I'm VERY physically affectionate when I get close to someone, so that illusion is often quickly shattered.

Yes, unless I have a script worked out ahead of time. It's my ill-adapted Te in tandem with my racing thoughts and mind.

I wouldn't have earned an MFA in Writing if I wasn't. Nor would I have been accepted into the Algonkian Wharf Writer's Conference, the Martha's Vineyard Writer's Residency, or published in Samizdat Literary Journal.

I want to be a published novelist, and teaching writing workshops at the college level in some MFA program at a liberal arts school.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I hate authority, i try to avoid it the best i can. I also do not like to be told that i should just accept something and questioning is certainly something that is central within my nature.

I let them talk down to me, and then if i get the chance to do the same with my actions i will put them in their place.

I share my emotions with the few that are close enough.

I just need to be given notoriety, i don't crave it but credit due is a must.

Depends on the situation. I can be extremely sarcastic if i am put in a situation where I am uncomfortable or being verbally attacked.

Are you silly?
I would say that i am witty, i try to play on peoples emotions in a light hearted manor. I only tease somewhen when it is obvious and my words don't harm. I can be silly when i am with someone who can be silly as well.

I can be aloof, and i am reserved. Although i do think people misinterpret each of these cases.

I can, but i have figured out how to be rather concise and expressive altogether. If i am put on the spot then it can be hard.

I would not consider myself as such.

My world revolves around a lot of logic and ration. I will probably end up in a field that requires such but i would love to have the autonomy to create or solve at my own means.

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sx/sp
1,193 Posts

Authority irritates me. It's an illusion; a social construct and nothing more. So I don't take much notice of it.

I get annoyed, but may or may not actually say anything.

I'm emotionally reactive, but I'm also very private with my emotions. So yes, mostly only those I'm comfortable around see it, and even they don't see everything that's inside.

In friendships? Nope, not at all. In romantic relationships? Yes, very much so.

Yes, and it irritates people, because I tend to veil my cynicism in sarcastic jokes. xP

Are you silly?

Oh yeah. Definitely. I'm a melancholic person, but that doesn't mean I don't joke around. ^^

Yes.

Speaking to other people is one of the hardest things I have to do. I don't understand how it works and it is very confusing for me. So yes.

Yeah, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.

A writer, artist, scientist, and theme park attraction designer.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts