Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been entertaining the notion that I'm an ENFP, just one that suffers from depression. I tend to have really extreme swings that last months at a time, and I feel like an ENFP on the good ones and an INFP on the bad. It's weird.
Anyway.

1 - Do you find that you have extremely short attention spans?
2 - After how long of being around other people do you find that you need alone time? 6 hours? A few days? 20 minutes?
3 - Do you find that around (other) strong extravert types you tend to become quiet and reserved?
4 - If a conversation has dried up and become quiet and awkward, do you find you know exactly what you need to do to inject some life into it or do you just stand there wondering what to say?

I thank all of my test subjects for their compliance in this experiment.

EDIT: I've noticed that there are quite a lot of pictures of dogs on these forums.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I have a short attention span

We don't crash, so I dont know where you got that from.

I AM a very strong extravert, but that's just me.

depends.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
So I've been entertaining the notion that I'm an ENFP, just one that suffers from depression. I tend to have really extreme swings that last months at a time, and I feel like an ENFP on the good ones and an INFP on the bad. It's weird.
Anyway.

2 - How long before you guys go into one of the much fabled "crashes" in which you just need to be on your own? 6 hours? A few days? 20 minutes?
3 - Do you find that around strong extravert types you tend to become quiet and reserved?
4 - If a conversation has dried up and become quiet and awkward, do you find you know exactly what you need to do to inject some life into it or do you just stand there wondering what to say?

EDIT: I've noticed that there are quite a lot of pictures of dogs on these forums. I'm more of a cat person. Totally must be an INFP.
1. I only have a short attention span if I'm uninterested in what I'm doing or what someone else is saying :S If I'm genuinely interested in something, you can't distract my focus!

2. It really depends. If I'm stressed, only mere hours or even minutes :S If I'm feeling good, I don't really need much recovery/withdrawal time. I mean, I get it when I go home anyway, so...

3. Yes, I'm kind of shy sometimes, and if a more extraverted person wants to take the reigns, I let them. I have no problem with sitting back and listening.

4. Both. It depends on the situation, my energy level, and my interest in conversating at that moment :p

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We don't crash, so I dont know where you got that from.
Weird, pretty much every video or topic I've seen on ENFPs at some point mentions that they are the most introverted of all the extraverts, because Ne is such a hyperactive and observant trait that's constantly sending the already extremely introverted Fi more information than it can handle, thus causing a need for quiet times.

1. I only have a short attention span if I'm uninterested in what I'm doing or what someone else is saying :S If I'm genuinely interested in something, you can't distract my focus!

2. It really depends. If I'm stressed, only mere hours or even minutes :S If I'm feeling good, I don't really need much recovery/withdrawal time. I mean, I get it when I go home anyway, so...

3. Yes, I'm kind of shy sometimes, and if a more extraverted person wants to take the reigns, I let them. I have no problem with sitting back and listening.

4. Both. It depends on the situation, my energy level, and my interest in conversating at that moment :p
Well that all basically sounds like me from start to finish >.<

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
Weird, pretty much every video or topic I've seen on the topic of ENFPs at some point mentions that they are the most introverted of all the extraverts.

We do spend a lot of time in our own heads, but it doesn't mean that we're all wired the same way. He may not need or want as much time to withdraw and be in his own mind... the mind can be a dangerous place for those who are troubled. That's not to say that he's the super troubled kid or anything, he's not. I just don't think he really knows how to deal with some of the things he's going through and he uses his extraversion as a means to escape from him own head. Just a guess...? lol

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
1 - Do you find that you have extremely short attention spans? Not in particular. When I'm REALLY interested in something, my attention span is limitless; though, conversely, if I'm not interested from the get-go I can be easily distracted
2 - How long before you guys go into one of the much fabled "crashes" in which you just need to be on your own? 6 hours? A few days? 20 minutes? I'm a little confused by your question: Do you mean how long can I be social before I feel the need to recharge? Or, are you asking how long I spend recharging, when I feel the need to do that? I'm going to answer the latter, since I get the vibe that's what you meant- I've spent everywhere from 12 hours to 1 week, recharging before. The time spent, I find, usually directly correlates to how much I've "drained" myself or need to "ponder" how something jives with me.
3 - Do you find that around (other) strong extravert types you tend to become quiet and reserved? Yes, if there's someone who just "needs" to talk, I'll let them. I actually much prefer to be the listener in situations.
4 - If a conversation has dried up and become quiet and awkward, do you find you know exactly what you need to do to inject some life into it or do you just stand there wondering what to say? It really all depends on how much I know about the subject of the conversation/ how much it means to me. I'm not likely to do anything to add life to a conversation that I'm not interested in/irritates me. I'll try to maybe crack a joke and give a cue to change the subject it things get really awkward- basically if I have nothing to add, I won't talk; Though i'm the opposite if it's a topic I'm really interested in and passionate about, I'll bubble over with words.

EDIT: I've noticed that there are quite a lot of pictures of dogs on these forums. I'm more of a cat person. Totally must be an INFP. This is an interesting observation- I'm really not sure how much stock I'd put into it, everyone has their own individual reasoning for their preferences; though, I'll do my part to add to it (totally not a cat person since a family member's cat pissed on everything I owned/slept on while staying with them), I'm very much a dog person.

Reactions: Murnando

·
Registered
ENFP-A
2,225 Posts
2 - How long before you guys go into one of the much fabled "crashes" in which you just need to be on your own? 6 hours? A few days? 20 minutes?
3 - Do you find that around (other) strong extravert types you tend to become quiet and reserved?

LOVE Youtube's DaveSuperPowers...That guy has it nailed.

Yes, absolutely. I can often only stand to do an activity (video game, watching a movie) anywhere from 10-30 minutes before I have to change what I'm doing, and come back later.

Unlike the other ENFPs that have commented so far, I know exactly what you're talking about. It takes about 2-3 days in a row of intense social engagement in a row: parties, family engagements, etc before I have to recharge. I usually take 1 or 2 days for myself to recharge (usually just one).

Uh, not usually. We tend to feed off each other's energy and have a good time. My sense of humor seems attuned to those rigid, traditionalist SJ personality types and they seem to enjoy my sense of humor better than the other temperaments, so maybe they're the one little group of extroverts (ESxJs) that tend to clam up a bit...So I can joke and tease.

Well, this is a trick answer I guess. I'm very good to keep things from becoming awkward, if they tend that way I find a fairly smooth way to end the conversation and move on. On the occasion that it really does become awkward a funny quip usually comes to me to change the subject or leave.

·
His Majesty
12,625 Posts
Anyway.

EDIT: I've noticed that there are quite a lot of pictures of dogs on these forums. I'm more of a cat person. Totally must be an INFP.
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Most times I try to bring life into it, but some people just don't respond, then I get bored of them...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Absolutely not. I can ponder a deep topic for hours on end, exploring it from numerous angles. What I have a short tolerance for are very detailed-oriented tasks or following step-by-step instructions that leave me no freedom to innovate.

Once again, it's a matter of what the activity is. The kinds of things I listed above wear me out quickly. Talking to people does not, it energizes me.

No. My audience plays a factor in how open or reserved I am at a given time, though. I become more reserved around people who seem uninterested. The same goes for people who are only interested in superficial small talk. It's not a matter of feeling uncomfortable or intimidated, it's that I feel disrespected and I have too much pride to humor people like that.

I know what I could say but sometimes I don't want to. I'm not going to waste my time entertaining people I don't like. Friends and family? Sure. Interested and accepting people? Absolutely. Two-faced and phony people? Sorry, no show unless you buy a ticket.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Anyway.

Not really... Only occasionally, I suppose. Not all that often.

It all depends. Sometimes when I'm with close friends I could stay with them forever, it feels like. Yet I do need time to be quiet, be alone, be contemplative. At least once a day. If I don't I feel wrong. Out of touch with myself. That's something I never want to have happen.

Yes, sometimes. And sometimes not. But I find that if they're just kind of acquaintances or not my close friends, I get quiet and a bit shy.

It depends. Wow, that's obviously my favourite answer to these questions. :/ Well, it does depend. Everything does. It's 50/50 on this one.

·
Registered
346 Posts
1 - Do you find that you have extremely short attention spans
yes sir i do
Depends on what I do. if i socialize with close friends, then I can last the whole day (actually no 10 hrs max).
yes. The strong extroverts I have met are usually Se and Fe dominate and.... I'm not quite fond of the ways both functions work as they really bore and tire the shit out of me. Sorry.... Oh and I am VERY shy and awkward around new people and acquaintances.
I just stand there wondering what to say when it happens to the people whom I am not close with. To the people who I am close with, silence is not awkward and is refreshing because their presence is just.. calming ahah.

/goes back to writing essay/

EDIT: oh yeah about the cat/dog person thing... I AM A CAT PERSON TOO!!! :p

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Anyway.

1- short attention span if the person is droning on and on about mindless crap. Like the mom I sit next to at sports class that can spend an entire half an hour of my precious life explaining the minutiae details of how lunches were precisely made, everyone was running late because we couldn't find the gym shoes and BLAH BLAH BLAH. {YAWN} intrigue me and a rock can fall on my head- you will have my full attention.

2- crash? hmmm. it's not about time. It's about extreme over-stimulation or extreme dip in emotion. (or fatigue) Not time.

3- I will become "quiet and reserved" around other extroverts if I'm entertained by them, intrigued by them or just deciding I will let them take the floor because they have a really huge ego and not in the mood to compete with them. haha But yeah- by ones that are really powerful and taking over a room, I can withdraw and be in the shadow. Needs to be a pretty powerful personality.

4- I never stand there deciding what to say. lol I either coolly make my exit with a smile and no hard feelings- or I come up with something. If I'm truly dreading the experience, I will respectfully find an out and get out of there.

yeah- not sure you're an ENFP.

Reactions: Murnando

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,123 Posts
1 - Do you find that you have extremely short attention spans? Absoposilutely! Always have, likely always will.

2 - How long before you guys go into one of the much fabled "crashes" in which you just need to be on your own? 6 hours? A few days? 20 minutes? Hmm... not sure I get much of a need to crash. Weird huh?

3 - Do you find that around (other) strong extravert types you tend to become quiet and reserved? Not necessarily. What can shut me down with insecurity or uncertainty are either being the only one present who does not know everyone else there (odd man out in an obvious clique) or feeling like I am surrounded by folks way more expert than I am.

4 - If a conversation has dried up and become quiet and awkward, do you find you know exactly what you need to do to inject some life into it or do you just stand there wondering what to say? Lol, maybe not exactly what to say, but you can bet I will inject something, and it will typically be so off the wall that the silence will pass.

Oh, and that dog/cat thing? Not so cut and dry. I am a tremendous cat person. I like other people's dogs, in small doses, though.

·
World's biggest INTJ fangirl
2,314 Posts
Anyway.

1 - Do you find that you have extremely short attention spans? Only in subjects or things that I have no interest in what so ever. I daydream... a lot!

Depends on how much time I’ve had to recharge before hand. I can generally go a few days up to even a couple of weeks of full on extroversion/constant people, but the longer I go, the harder the crash and the longer I hibernate for.

3 - Do you find that around (other) strong extravert types you tend to become quiet and reserved? Depends. Generally around Ns I can be just as loud and extroverted but around S types I’ll shut right up and become the introvert.
4 - If a conversation has dried up and become quiet and awkward, do you find you know exactly what you need to do to inject some life into it or do you just stand there wondering what to say? I’ll be the one making the lame joke that makes everyone else laugh awkwardly. But as long as someone can then take over from there... it’s all good.

I like cats :cool:.

·
Registered
297 Posts
well, you know, everyone's different. i'm pretty sure i'm an xNFP, so i think i can help ya out.

1. my attention span is actually more focused. i naturally, when healthy, have a pretty short attention span and i'm always thinking about what to do next or how i can make what's going on more interesting. when i'm depressed, i become more focused...dissecting the situation so i make sure that -- whatever it is i have to do -- i execute it perfectly. it's exhausting.

2. "crashes" -- that's an interesting way to describe it. for me, i don't rly crash...it kinda happens gradually. and i need to cry it all the hell out...that may take 20 minutes and then a nap, but sometimes i just need to lay down and calm down for a few hours...via googling random things.

3. oh yes. i become awkward and quiet and turn red and surprised that THEY'RE talking to me? lil old worthless me? i hate that feeling. i need to talk things out...i actually have started making myself do it, even when i feel at my worst. it does the trick.

4. yes, i do. or i come up with something completely off the wall. i'm good at awkward silences..there's so many things swirling in my head, so i just grab something blindly and out it goes into the space between us.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Anyway.

2 - After how long of being around other people do you find that you need alone time? 6 hours? A few days? 20 minutes?

EDIT: I've noticed that there are quite a lot of pictures of dogs on these forums.
1. Oh hell yeah.
2. Generally that depends. 30 minutes minimum.
3. Yep. But if that extrovert is talking something good and productive, I listen with my full attention, especially when someone advices me. Or else for chattering, I'm there.
4. I try to inject some life since that becomes an awkward moment for me.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
As an introvert I can tell you... ENFPs are not really introverted in the slightest, especially in the way they perceive things. Ne to me seems to be looking at meaning and things beyond what they themselves can perceive (either with senses or, it seems, in the mind) as the "real truth". F is easier to describe, a ENFP tends to prefer making judgement of things on values like good/bad, nice/mean, pretty/ugly, etc.

Just cause' I'm the anti-ENFP, I thought it might be interesting to post my response.

I have medium attention span with my meds. HOWEVER, I have ADD and this influences my answer highly. Off my meds, it results not directly into distractability but a loss of mental control. I have to "manually" rein those broken brain functions in. As a little kid, it would at times take me almost 40 minutes to tie my shoes.

It's not necessarily being around other people, though a whole day tends to be tiring no matter what. With my friends I can stay mostly introverted. I can sit in my own mind and consider what they say and formulate a response and it's all perfectly within my comfort zone. However, during family get togethers I cannot tolerate it for more than an hour because it tends to become inaccessant yanking on me to look at this, do this, blah blah, and the constant pulling out of my "mind" ("self" would probably be a better term) is incredibly exhausting. This is also why I don't like traveling about all day.

No, I don't usually mind them unless they are just annoying as people. Only if they try the above am I bothered by the extroversion.
Otherwise they don't influence my introversion at all.

I'm not all that good at injecting life into the conversation, but a bad pun will either make it worse or make it infinitely better.

P.S: I like cats, but I don't hate dogs. Cats are cuter though.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
do you have ANY idea how many people come on these forums asking exactly the same thing? and describing (for lack of a better word) the same symptoms?

you're a human being first of all- if you aren't enjoying the company of people they will drain you- no matter what your type is; that could be because you don't get along with them or that you are too depressed to appreciate company, or a number of other issues.

but yes if you are asking for the definition of a typical depressive ENFP- that person is likely to go into themselves and feel introverted (as everyone does when depressed), have a shorter attention span even than normal, and experience a wide range of mood swings. i did the first semester of a psychology bsc for a semester, and we did cover depression- there is something called a manic depressive which could describe a stage i went through at 15/16 where the person has wild mood swings from feeling on top of the world to feeling very low at other times. enfps are more likely to experience mood swings than most, but completely stable ENFPs will still feel fairly level headed, and typically can cope with it extremely well in any case, in stark contrast to if they were depressive.

I don't know how old you are, but it seems almost most ENFPs in my experience go through some kind of depressive stage around 15-18- some of the healthiest strongest people i've known went through a depressed stage and emerged out the other side a stronger person.

I'm not suggesting you are, but i think it's important note to not take the distinction between being an introvert and an extrovert too seriously- you are who you are, it's not all about 4 letters.

·
Registered
607 Posts
oh look at that, what was it, oh back to the question, see there i don't have an attention span, exaggerations apart, yes i do...15 minutes.

i can go long before that introverted phase comes, but when it comes it may last quite long. maybe once in a blue moon.

yes, i do feel so sometimes. but then i dont become totally reclusive....i will say a few things occasionally....with other social butterflies, i like to watch and listen.

i dont give myself alot of time to think about what to say, although i will think, but then ill just blabber anything, or try to say something funny. :p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts