Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you feel socially starved or like you want to “do something!” during coronavirus precautions?

Lol. Yeah it’s a cheap shot, but precautions have been tough on us extroverts! My mom says people have been calling her just to say “I know you must be going nuts, so I called you.” Meanwhile my dad’s life has changed very little. :)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I've got soo much to do.

Work is as normal, I work remote as a programmer with a team and coordinate with other teams in a very dynamic environment. I've got my partner, and my little bit of land. Two weeks ago I decided I was going to commit to making my home into a mini homestead. Since then I've been clearing trees from a new orchard/garden area, reading up about ducks and goats, picking plants and making plans. I've got a nice sourdough starter newly going, and also a buttermilk culture. Picked up a new (to me) TV show, Community, been watching it my partner. I foraged some salad greens further down the valley. I started reading the final book in a William Gibson series I've been meaning to finish out. I've been checking in a bit more via text with some of my closer friends. I hand-sewed a mask for my partner. I'm very slowly putting together a care package for my brother from various foraged things. I've been listening to so many podcasts while wielding a chainsaw.

My life is nearly the same as it would be without COVID, but so far my Ne has not been starved. Granted, I'm unusually "anti-social" for an ENFP. There's a reason why the title for the most introverted extroverts goes to Ne'ers. The energy comes from ideas, possibilities, and abstract connections, people don't always have to be part of the package.

·
Beer Guardian
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ
15,418 Posts
Do you feel socially starved or like you want to “do something!” during coronavirus precautions?

Lol. Yeah it’s a cheap shot, but precautions have been tough on us extroverts! My mom says people have been calling her just to say “I know you must be going nuts, so I called you.” Meanwhile my dad’s life has changed very little. :)
I don't know about you, but as a fellow extroverted Ne Dom, I find I'm good either way. I don't mind being alone, but I also wouldn't mind being around others.

I consider myself to be something of an: "Ambivert." I've heard it said that ENTP/ENFP are considered to be the most: "...Introverted of all the extroverts." Ne keeps us company.

PS: LOVE your Joseph Campbell quote. I read a lot of his work back in the day. He considered George Lucas to be one of his acolytes

·
Banned
INFP 9w1 sp/so
2,470 Posts
I don't think the quarantine is as good an indicator of this as people think it is, I've seen a lot of introverts who're also losing their minds over being separated from all their friends. Even all of us basement-dwelling shut-ins are ultimately social animals, some of us are just better with isolation than others. I'm having a great time sitting in my room doing nothing all day, but I don't think I'm in a majority.

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
I don’t think I notice much of a difference since the lock down . I tend to look forward to days where I can sleep in and lounge around in my pajamas + work on my writing and I feel like I have more time to focus on my passion/hobbies now than I did before. I’m pretty adaptive to whatever life throws at me and enjoy making the best of every situation.
I don’t have the feel or need to go out and do something - but I do have a pretty active schedule-I’m also able to pick up on learning or experimenting with things that I’m curious about - like archery , learning conversational French, experimenting with house hold object such as making a light bulb light up with static from a balloon or making kaleidoscope and dyeing the flowers in my garden blue etc
Am I excited about this shutdown and wish for it to never end ? No course not - However I’m pretty content with what’s going on so far as well .
I don’t think I’m what you considered a social extrovert- I like people sure, and I still get excited when I hear from close friends /family members
However I gain more energy when I’m alone- researching - connecting ideas and possibilities- or introspecting in my mind /journal .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Coronavirus info gathering was basically my best friend for a couple of months!

Reactions: Llyralen

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
My fellow Ne...(nobody with Ni has replied yet) this is why I talked about my mom and not me. I’m busy at work like usual so I’m not sure if I could tell. Usually I relish some days off. Luckily I have outdoor places to walk. I love nature. I would go rogue if the restrictions on me made it so that I couldn’t go to the forest or beach, but I’m lucky to have these available in my neighborhood. But I’ve been content with things slowing down some and doing lots of gardening. Not rushing my kids around to their various activities has been nice. They do them through Skype at home. My extended family is texting more than ever. The nice thing about Ne is that it is always creative in any circumstance, so other than bracing at work for a surge (which we have done a good job avoiding) all is well. I don’t think I want to go back to the other pace. I wish I had even more time for writing and being in my PJs though.
@tanstaafl128. Thank you! I just looked up tanstaafl and found that it stands for “There ain’t no such thing as a free lunch”. Ive been interested in your name for a while because I connected “taafl” with tafl or hnefatafl and wondered if you had played the ancient Scandinavian game. By the way... if you have... I am interested in hearing everything about it. LOL!

·
Registered
15,257 Posts
I don't think the quarantine is as good an indicator of this as people think it is, I've seen a lot of introverts who're also losing their minds over being separated from all their friends. Even all of us basement-dwelling shut-ins are ultimately social animals, some of us are just better with isolation than others. I'm having a great time sitting in my room doing nothing all day, but I don't think I'm in a majority.
I don’t think it’s much of an introvert vs extrovert situation but more along the line of how well one adapt to changes in their environment and daily life style .
My istj in-laws are panicking about who may knock at their door and asking around to buy handguns for protection fearing that people will break into their home. They wear masks and gloves inside their home ( I know this bc they video chat with my husband) and got mad at him for sharing a bed with me and kissing our kids and not keeping a 6 feet distance ( we work from home) . My Isfp gf is highly emotional about this situation- regardless the fact that she rarely leave the home but now she’s in fear of us being in total lock down and reminded me constantly to stock up for 3 months of food . Course I hear many extroverts complaining as well - but I agree with you - it’s not much of an I vs E situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 74893H

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
It's been interesting to observe during that quarantine time how it affects people. I couldn't tell it's a good indicator of detecting I/E bias - I should be E (enfp) but felt only little difference, if anything. Actually that situation felt even more normal than "normal" situation - who needs those mass gatherings and insanity in shopping malls and traffic anyway? :) At the same time, my few quite introverted friends and colleagues seemed to have bigger impact on how they felt themselves. Also some more social extraverts I know, were whining about it.

To me it seems that such situations are more about how well can you adapt to them and if you can live with options you have or you're trying to change the external world to match with your mindset (and fail while trying to do so) :)

·
Registered
15,561 Posts
All I really want is to work out (fuck walking), so yes, I want to "do something." Still an introvert.

Reactions: lilysocks

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Quick real extraversion/introversion test 100% MBTI-free-no-bullshit. Jung's seal of approval.

Is it better when you're the one in charge? You're introverted.

Do you think truth depends on the observer? You're introverted.

Do you wait for the universe to prove you wrong? You're introverted.

Is it never your fault when bad shit happens to you? You're introverted.

Do you only see evidences of you being right when you look around? You're introverted.

Do you think it doesn't matter if you're right as long as you get what you want? You're introverted.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,428 Posts

But what if my normal way of socializing is online, so my amount of socializing hasn't been affected by the virus practically at all? 🤔

Though it does make dating harder -_- Though I haven't been driven mad by that just so much as a bit sad whenever I think of it--which isn't terribly often.

·
Registered
♂️ INFJ 5w4 // IEI-Ni
3,077 Posts
Haven't really noticed any change at all in my life. .
I'm glad I have plenty of projects and hobbies, internet and am comfortable in my own mind. Otherwise I probably would've gone nuts. I've spent a lot of my time during this whole thing just doing art.

What has been interesting for me is seeing and hearing how others react to what is essentially my lifestyle.

Reactions: Aelthwyn

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,252 Posts
Haha, yeah.... I was talking to one of my very introverted friends and we were both like, I'm rather enjoying this. Less pressure to go out and do things. It can get tiresome when people often lay on guilt with the heavy implication that getting out of the house is 'healthy' or somehow more virtuous, and that we are horrible people for routinely not agreeing to make plans. Quarantine is such a relief, a release to be who we are.

I'm not going to go so far as to say I don't miss certain people, though. I'm sad we couldn't have a housewarming party when we bought our house which was right before all this. I'm sad I couldn't do my usual spring tea party. I miss giving hugs with certain friends and watching our kids play together. I'm sad we didn't get to go out for our anniversary. The zoom party for our daughter's birthday was definitely not as great as sharing cake together with all those messy faces, hehe. I'm sad we aren't going to have our Disneyland trip with grandma this summer. But I'm not depressed over it, I'm not super disappointed, only a little. Most of my friends are introverted as well and we don't normally make plans to get together all that often, weeks and months often pass between visits, so it's not feeling particularly weird yet.

I typically don't have anywhere I want to go unless I need to shop for something, I don't hang out at a park or coffee shop - my own space is much easier to concentrate in and all my stuff is here... So, I'm not itching to get out of the house.

I'm also very concerned about catching covid since I have asthma so the question "is this worth dying for?" is kinda imminent in my mind. And I think " nahhhh, really not worth going anywhere. texting is good, facetime is good, the back yard is good, I don't need more crap from the store that badly. I've got books and netflix, a piano, craft supplies, a stash of tea, all the best things in life are right here at home with my husband and daughter."

·
Administrator
13,586 Posts
I've been wondering about extroversion.

I don't miss people at all. But I do miss things like the opportunity to travel or sometimes I just want to do something--like get out and just bleh.

I was already pretty stagnant before COVID--actually I've become a lot freer since I've not had to be restricted by my work schedule. I have started reading again, done some painting, done a lot of gardening...but not done nearly as much as I want to. I feel sooo unproductive--I want to accomplish so much more, but I find myself feeling a bit like it's groundhog's day and even when I try new things, nothing is sticking.

Edit: TMI Jeez

1 - 15 of 15 Posts