Personality Cafe banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered if you are allowed to give out your own opinion and talk in a casual way on this thread or if you must only give factual information.

I have found on this forum often that people cannot seperate opinon from factual evidence. I took this forum as just the same as any other forum out there where people give opinions on things they like. If they are wrong then hey, that can be pointed out. But not to have it be against the forums rules.

I was just wondering about this, thanks.

I also wondered, why is it that whenever anyone makes a lighthearted suggestion about a type everyone calls it a stereotype. I am not people are trying to stereotype the types as much as they are trying to understand them. They did not create the MBTI but they want to know what they mean. It is natural to ask questions even if they sound dumb.

I did do a thread on my own personal opinion of most to least intelligent based on level of IQ and the level of factual information stored. It was a hypothetical list, which was not to be taken seriously. It was saying the tradition of stereotypes that personality page has written out, who would be most intelligent?

I see it was taken seriously which brings me back to the question, is only factual data allowed to be posted on the forum?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I saw your thread. You are allowed to express your opinion and talk casually. However, you are not allowed to be typist or discriminatory. I do give you benefit of the doubt, though, since you don't seem like a bad person, just someone who doesn't know better.

Here it is in a nutshell: MBTI is about how you take in information and process it. It does not redeem or define your abilities or talents, such as intelligence. Being an INTJ doesn't automatically mean you're a member of Mensa, and having ESFP as your type doesn't make you run around with puppies and rainbows with only half a brain. Not all INFJs are poets, and not all ISFPs are artists. The list goes on.

You can always express yourself here, but you also have to be ready to get called out for it. And when you do, you should learn from it. If you make a thread where you rank all the types by their IQ, you really should expect a bad reaction, was it your personal opinion or not. It's still insulting to many people, and despite it being an opinion, very stereotyped and typist. We don't take those kinds of things all that well.

I hope you'll have a better time on PerC from now on.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I wondered if you are allowed to give out your own opinion and talk in a casual way on this thread or if you must only give factual information.

I have found on this forum often that people cannot seperate opinon from factual evidence. I took this forum as just the same as any other forum out there where people give opinions on things they like. If they are wrong then hey, that can be pointed out. But not to have it be against the forums rules.

I also wondered, why is it that whenever anyone makes a lighthearted suggestion about a type everyone calls it a stereotype. I am not people are trying to stereotype the types as much as they are trying to understand them. They did not create the MBTI but they want to know what they mean. It is natural to ask questions even if they sound dumb.

I did do a thread on my own personal opinion of most to least intelligent based on level of IQ and the level of factual information stored. It was a hypothetical list, which was not to be taken seriously. It was saying the tradition of stereotypes that personality page has written out, who would be most intelligent?

I see it was taken seriously which brings me back to the question, is only factual data allowed to be posted on the forum?
You and me bud. I've wondered the same?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hope you'll have a better time on PerC from now on.
Oh, I've had a great time on here so far, really good. I just think it's pointless getting upset or angry over a few words typed out on the internet. The other day I found out the INFP was the most likely to just give up and kill themselves. I could have gotten upset but didn't care cause that's someone's opinion. I don't care if people think all INFP's are jerks and airheads, they have a reason for thinking that, I didn't invent the MBTI, I just have fun with it.

INFP doesn't belong to me, nor do any of the types 'belong' to anyone else. So it seems really stupid to me to get offended if someone says someone rude about your type.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
It's okay to wonder and ask questions. It's also okay for others to point out to you when you cross a line. Yes, you got a negative reaction, but learn from it. A lot of people are here trying to learn, and when you make posts like that, people can get the wrong idea of what this personality theory is about. It is something that needs to be checked, not necessarily because you're a bad person for wondering or trying or make connections, but because other people can take your "which type is the most likely to" scenarios and believe them as if they were solid truth. I do personally try to point out when people are basing their opinions on stereotypes. I want others to receive the factual information they're looking for and to recognize stereotype horse shat when it's presented. Some people can't do that for themselves yet though, so I point it out for them. Don't be offended. We've all done the very same thing at one point or another ;)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Here it is in a nutshell: MBTI is about how you take in information and process it. It does not redeem or define your abilities or talents, such as intelligence.
This right here is something that should be pinned at the top of every sub forum.

Warriordreamer said:
Oh, I've had a great time on here so far, really good. I just think it's pointless getting upset or angry over a few words typed out on the internet. The other day I found out the INFP was the most likely to just give up and kill themselves. I could have gotten upset but didn't care cause that's someone's opinion. I don't care if people think all INFP's are jerks and airheads, they have a reason for thinking that, I didn't invent the MBTI, I just have fun with it.

INFP doesn't belong to me, nor do any of the types 'belong' to anyone else. So it seems really stupid to me to get offended if someone says someone rude about your type.
I don't think anyone does mind discussing the various differences that the personality types may have an inclination to have. However, no one likes being called things like stupid or looked down upon.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You have to remember that for many people their MBTI is a very big part of their identity, of who they consider themselves to be, so yeah - it does belong to them, in a way. Stereotypes, especially negative ones, can be hurtful to those who take these things to heart. When someone comes along and says that they think this and this type is stupid or any other condescending term, it won't be taken well.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I for one would not come on a forum looking for factual data. The only place I look for that is on the actual MBTI websites. Not on a public user written forum.

What is stereotypes anyway? Isn't the entire MBTI therory in itself a stereotype? Have you read personality page and the huge assumptions they make about every 'type' on there? They really should not make forums like this if some douche can get the chance to go on, call an entire type a c*** and move on, only for people to get all shocked over it. Hypocritical.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
Well I for one would not come on a forum looking for factual data. The only place I look for that is on the actual MBTI websites. Not on a public user written forum.
Well, that's just you. Other people want to understand more of it, and come looking for answers here. And you know what? There are some pretty knowledgeable people here :) There are a few select people I go to when I'm not understanding something. And if I'm really honest with you, a lot of the type descriptions you find on personality theory websites are complete and utter rubbish. Some of them aren't complete rubbish, but they do lack some much needed detail to help others really grasp the concept. That's why I love having people like @MrShatter, @LiquidLight, and @JungyesMBTIno on here. They have a much deeper understanding of the functions than I do, and can help iron out some of the wrinkles on the functions I don't understand as well as I would like.

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
Well, that's just you. Other people want to understand more of it, and come looking for answers here. And you know what? There are some pretty knowledgeable people here :) There are a few select people I go to when I'm not understanding something. And if I'm really honest with you, a lot of the type descriptions you find on personality theory websites are complete and utter rubbish. Some of them aren't complete rubbish, but they do lack some much needed detail to help others really grasp the concept. That's why I love having people like @MrShatter, @LiquidLight, and @JungyesMBTIno on here. They have a much deeper understanding of the functions than I do, and can help iron out some of the wrinkles on the functions I don't understand as well as I would like.
:laughing: You just made my entire day! I'm blushing and I feel special!!

·
Banned
2,469 Posts
EDIT: uhh... verbal explosion. I'm sorry. The irrelevant information is contained in a spoiler:

What is stereotypes anyway? Isn't the entire MBTI therory in itself a stereotype? Have you read personality page and the huge assumptions they make about every 'type' on there? They really should not make forums like this if some douche can get the chance to go on, call an entire type a c*** and move on, only for people to get all shocked over it. Hypocritical.
There is an article section... and Moderators seem to highlight articles that do give well grounded information.
I also believe the stereotyping is a little sensitive but... MBTI is directly related to how your mind works, a lot of people feel vulnerable in this area. Especially, because in the past, (generally) a lot of psychology has been related to psychosis. Even Jung worked with mentally unhealthy patients.
Psychology used to be all bad ugly and depressing (from my point of view) and that's the world we've inherited.
Now, things are looking up... in fact: Happy science (The study of being happy) is becoming increasingly more popular. I forget the exact statistics, but it's true :p

(Some resources for this if you're interested:The New Science of Happiness
It's becoming a big problem, if you've heard of Karoshi... and just in general, I think humans are starting to realize that being happy is the most important thing. (Is it? Debate topic?)... They're even starting to use happiness training methods to prevent Post-war veteran suicide. PEMDAS)

This is not to say it's wrong to be sensitive, obviously, your thread was light heated - but what happens if a new member joins and sees that off the bat. We don't want to get in too much of a habit of making these kinds of threads.

If you are interested in a correlation between Academic intelligence and MBTI,
Research shows INxx have the highest scores academically and that ESxx have the highest high school drop out rates.
This is due to the difference in learning styles and our modern schooling programs, NOT intelligence of the human being,

I have an INFP friend who dislikes MBTI because he finds unflattering research.
It's hard to work with, but there is unflattering research about your type out there, as well as flattering research. I got a little upset when I read that INFJs (esp. Male INFJs) have the lowest intimate relationship satisfaction. That coupled with the common perception of Enneagram 5 SP/So... boy oh boy... how am I ever to find love?
[/RAMBLE]

To be honest, there is a lot of bullshit, and it's actually helped me to become a more discerning reader.
My advice: If you want to make your thread do it, if people have a problem, stay calm and explain that you didn't mean anything offensive, they may just be trying to make clear what's what. You will run into people who will participate and people who won't.

People in general just want to make sure that you aren't judging them by their type, and if they feel that way, they will aim to defend themselves.

Side note:

Your personality page link does not work. You are missing a ".com", secondly, it says right there: stuff like:
We all come in different SHAPES and SIZES.

We all have STRENGTHS and weaknesses.
What's right for one person may not be right for another.
There are things that are important to me, that you don't care about at all!

Which is the universal disclaimer for "I am not trying to stereotype you!"
what did you have trouble with exactly?
On the whole stereotype debate, there is no behavior perfectly correlated with preference.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I saw your post, @WarriorDreamer, and you were quite honest and obviously didn't mean to be "typist". ^^ We've all had the unfortunate, "Oh crap, I bet I sounded like a complete and total ignorant n00b idiot and I didn't mean to sound like that" foot-in-the-mouth moment. The question you raised was a good one. The problem being MBTI and intelligence really doesn't have too much relation to each other. MBTI and learning types would be a slightly different story. The reason your thread that was meant to be taken as a lighthearted thing was jumped on so seriously is because this is a very sore issue. Many newbies come here and see threads like that and they get the wrong idea.

And we really don't want that to happen. It just adds fuel to the fire. So no, you weren't jumped on for your opinion. It was concern for the other newbies or people trying to learn new things about MBTI.

That's why we try and wrinkle out these misinterpretations about MBTI as quickly as possible. It's so other people don't start thinking the same thing as well. It makes people think, "Well, so being a Sensor means I'm less likely to be as intelligent as Intuitives." Which isn't correct, I'm sure we all know. And then they go and feel bad about themselves and don't want to identify themselves as a Sensor.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

It does seem kind of hypocritical that your thread was closed but the thread listing the negative traits of all types wasn't. I suppose because it's humor- but still it could upset people.

People do get upset when you relate intelligence to MBTI, but when you relate other factors, such as athleticism, it doesn't seem like as big a deal.

·
Registered
521 Posts
MBTI is a science and is treated as such here. Look around at the threads here and also look at the stickies in the "cognitive functions" forum for an in-depth discussion about the details of the information processing of each type, and in time you'll learn what MBTI is and what it is not.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Oh my, I got all trembly when I read @Ace Face's complimentary post, hehe! I'm so flattered - that meant a ton to me! <3

Reactions: Ace Face

·
Registered
297 Posts
You should be able to express yourself freely, but you should realize that your post was very typist. Your smartest 8 types were intuitives and your dumbest 8 types were sensors. As much as I was amused that you put my type as being the least intelligent out of all the intuitive types, there are people who get offended at such things. Let this be a lesson for you to express yourself in the future in a more loving manner. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts