Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there such a thing as a quiet ESFP? I have a cousin who I think is an ESFP and he fits most of the descriptors of this type but he actually doesn't talk all that much. Supposedly ESFPs love to talk. Is there a reason/situation an ESFP would be quiet/not talk much?

·
Registered
404 Posts
MBTI is not exactly rocket science and few people completely fit into one type. So, of course he could be more silent than the typical description.

He could also be an ISFP (basically same functions, but in different order.)

Or just a more quiet ESFP. Since my family moved from a completely different part of the country when I was six years old, I've always had a different dialect than most of my friends. It was never a problem until I started at high school (I guess I was around 12/13) when suddenly quite a lot of people started picking on my dialect. At first I just laughed it off, but after a while it kind of tore down my self confidence.

I became more quiet and it was a pretty sad period of my life when I think back. :sad:

·
Registered
637 Posts
There are definetly situations where I am quiet. I can even come across as quite serious :p I mean, I work in a hospital and I study medicine,so it's not like it's appropriate walking around laughing and talking at all times.

But generally, I'm quite a chatty person. :)
@Marac god I hate when people do that stuff, picking on others, and children can be so cruel, childhood is actually way too tough for children imo. :O

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MBTI is not exactly rocket science and few people completely fit into one type. So, of course he could be more silent than the typical description.

He could also be an ISFP (basically same functions, but in different order.)

Or just a more quiet ESFP. Since my family moved from a completely different part of the country when I was six years old, I've always had a different dialect than most of my friends. It was never a problem until I started at high school (I guess I was around 12/13) when suddenly quite a lot of people started picking on my dialect. At first I just laughed it off, but after a while it kind of tore down my self confidence.

I became more quiet and it was a pretty sad period of my life when I think back. :sad:
Yea my cousin isn't the most self-confident person. At least not in the areas of academics. He's a genius with physical dexterity though. He's probably more quiet around me and my family because for the most part we are a pretty intellectual bunch. That or because we like to tease him on his lack of common sense... :tongue: I can see where that might affect how much/little he wants to communicate. He does listen a lot though. And I have seen him more talkative with his friends. I'll have to look into the ISFP description. The only reason I never considered Ixxx for him though was that he loves being with people all the time. And he's super restless, which I thought fit ESFP to a tee.

·
Banned
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are definetly situations where I am quiet. I can even come across as quite serious :p I mean, I work in a hospital and I study medicine,so it's not like it's appropriate walking around laughing and talking at all times.

But generally, I'm quite a chatty person. :)
What made you decide to study medicine? Supposedly it's not a typical ESFP choice, although I know type has nothing to do with interests/abilities. I know an ESFP who originally was thinking about being a doctor, but the last time I saw him he was thinking lawyer. Somehow I don't think that's a great choice for him either. He's smart, it's not like he couldn't do it, but I don't know he'd really enjoy that job either. Being a lawyer requires one to be quite comfortable with conflict, routine, and lots of paperwork. It's also a pretty solitary job. Pretty much all the things that are hard for ESFPs to handle! :laughing:

Doctor wouldn't be as solitary but still heavy on academia which, from what I understand, isn't most ESFPs passion :p He's really talented at picking up and learning new instruments. I somehow see him doing something more hands-on. And the cousin I was mentioning before has it in his head he wants to do architecture. Again, a solitary job... I'm curious why you chose medicine and what you're thinking of specializing in.

·
THE IRON GIANT
10,129 Posts
Certainly. Two of the confirmed ESFPs I know are pretty quiet, at least at work. I have spent time with one of them outside of work and she was pretty quiet then too. Friendly and all, just not loud.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What made you decide to study medicine? Supposedly it's not a typical ESFP choice, although I know type has nothing to do with interests/abilities. I know an ESFP who originally was thinking about being a doctor, but the last time I saw him he was thinking lawyer. Somehow I don't think that's a great choice for him either. He's smart, it's not like he couldn't do it, but I don't know he'd really enjoy that job either. Being a lawyer requires one to be quite comfortable with conflict, routine, and lots of paperwork. It's also a pretty solitary job. Pretty much all the things that are hard for ESFPs to handle! :laughing:

Doctor wouldn't be as solitary but still heavy on academia which, from what I understand, isn't most ESFPs passion :p He's really talented at picking up and learning new instruments. I somehow see him doing something more hands-on. And the cousin I was mentioning before has it in his head he wants to do architecture. Again, a solitary job... I'm curious why you chose medicine and what you're thinking of specializing in.
This is gonna be very off topic, pardon me....

Well first of all, I could never have studied medicine if it wasn't because I've reached the mature age of 30 :p Luckily in Sweden, it's never too late to start studying, and it's for free, which also is good. When I was younger I would never have had the discipline to study this much, neither the confidence in myself.

I started off study biochemistry which was like hell for me, I felt I was dying from boredom in that lab. So well, I dropped out and after a few years of travelling, having different jobs and getting a baby, I decided I wanted to be a nurse. But after one year of studies I was thinking that I wanted to know more, and learn more about medicine. I have been thinking about being a doctor "all my life" but I've always thought I couldn't pass the exam to get in. But somehow I got more confident and I did something I almost never had done before; I studied hard and so I passed!

I can honestly say that I get high from "helping people". Having a job where you can actually try to do something important for someone else is like a dream for me. And I love the difficult questions, life and death, the drama. I work in an ER now as nurse assistant and I love it too, I love the action and I'm great at dealing with stressful situations. The more stress and pressure the better I work. Boredom and slow stuff is what kills my energy.
I'm very hands on and practical and being a doctor does involve lots of practical stuff, which suits me fine. It's lots of variety and diversity in the job tasks and you get to interact with people all day long.

Actually I would recommend a doctors career to any esfp who's interested in people and fascinated by how the body works (a true miracle). There're plenty of different specialities and you dont have to pick one with massive paper work :D

The hard part for me has really been the discipline, it does NOT come naturally for me to sit down and study and it's a huge struggle. I see it as a chance for self development, because I know I want what's ahead of the studies. And a very important thing is that I don't have any difficulties to learn at all, IF I only can see how I can apply the theory in a real situation and if it could be useful knowledge.

If I might say it myself, I'm actually proud over myself for chosing this and for having gone through three years of the studies allready. It hasn't been easy.

And I also want to encourage everyone to pursue their dreams and find something that feels meaningful to them. And I think, if I could do this, and reach for my dream, anyone can do it! :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Well I'm sometimes quiet because I am shy especially to strangers. I'm an ESFP and I don't need to talk all the time. Sometimes people are more interesting than me.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I can be quiet plenty of the time. But I am almost always up for talking if someone wants to.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Let's see, I talk quiet a bit, usually when some random person even whispers in the class, I'm the first suspect. Restlessness, not excessively but I've been told that I'm a bit hyper..... and, you guys were surprised about medicine being a career choice? how about engineering ? XD

·
Registered
999 Posts
I know a very quiet ESFP, she's reserved but she laughs alot and says little :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts