Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I have to like the person very, very much to be comfortably quiet around them. I have to trust the relationship.

Reactions: Octarine

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
It is like SlowPoke68 says, but when courting or just initializing a relationship with someone deemed possibly worthy, I can be really ...... suspicious, observing and careful.... which is the opposite of me normally. Or rather, the opposite of the PERCEIVED me. Nevertheless, confronted with the object of possible desire my behaviour becomes weird and I feel insecure and incompetent (or as a child). Which I dont like. So I definitely often lose my "cool".... ;-)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sometime I feel like my mouth refuse to talk but in other time I talk a lot and I never stop.
I don't know the reason.

Reactions: archangelic peon

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'm a fairly quiet person to begin with, so it kinda taint's it. If I like you I make an effort to talk and be around you, to get know you. I'm opening up more and more so in another 6 months, I may not fit the classification of quiet anymore. I do tend to enjoy just feeling the presence or energy of someone I'm close to, just the silence seems to propagate that feeling and it keeps things real. Proves that people exist to me at least.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I SOMETIMES get quiet, but it's because I get scared of saying something. It's just be cause I don't have something I feel like saying at the time. Generally, though, I don't shut up. And I ask a lot of questions. More than other people. People have even called it "creepy" before, so I'm trying to down it when I'm just getting to know someone, or give a reason for asking the question, and then follow it up with my own take on the question.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have to like the person very, very much to be comfortably quiet around them. I have to trust the relationship.
Likewise.
When there's silence in someones company...I feel the need to talk even more than usual so I don't feel exposed. :) I can only be quiet with really good friend, that know me well.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Likewise.
When there's silence in someones company...I feel the need to talk even more than usual so I don't feel exposed. :) I can only be quiet with really good friend, that know me well.
I used to be like that too, and then I realized how irrational it is. So I've toyed with just shutting up and seeing what the other person does (if we don't know each other that well). I've also played around with just slowing the talking speed down since that makes everyone more relaxed. Social skills are a fun thing to play with.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
The problem I have with speaking to speak, is from taking Mark Twain's quote "It is best to be silent and thought a fool then to open one's mouth and remove all doubt" (close enough) as a principle.

Reactions: archangelic peon

·
Registered
90 Posts
I used to be like that too, and then I realized how irrational it is. So I've toyed with just shutting up and seeing what the other person does (if we don't know each other that well). I've also played around with just slowing the talking speed down since that makes everyone more relaxed. Social skills are a fun thing to play with.
I'm working on that. I'm doing the part where I slow talking speed down so people feel more relaxed. Got to reach the feeling of comfort even if other person doesn't speak. Ah that will be selftorture lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I"m just curious. I'm not a young girl, but I do like someone very much, who is an entp. Around everyone else he is very talkative, but around me, he is very quiet. Hangs around me a lot, but doesn't say much. I find myself the same way around him.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I"m just curious. I'm not a young girl, but I do like someone very much, who is an entp. Around everyone else he is very talkative, but around me, he is very quiet. Hangs around me a lot, but doesn't say much. I find myself the same way around him.
Sounds like me when I am "figuring someone out" (=possible prospect). Sounds promising for you.... If you want a relationship that is.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think I used to get quiet around guys I liked. Not anymore though. I think I am maybe too intimidating now? Don't ask me...I don't follow regular dating protocol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes when I get high I get really self-aware and notice my ENTP qualities and it trips me out and I tend to shut up and sit there awkwardly trying to think of something regular to say, which I can never think of, haha.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sometimes when I get high I get really self-aware and notice my ENTP qualities and it trips me out and I tend to shut up and sit there awkwardly trying to think of something regular to say, which I can never think of, haha.

Heh, ditto.
And I almost wasn't gonna read the 2nd page of this thread-
This is also true on forums i guess, though...
. . .

·
Registered
691 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I smoke drugs and think about how different I am than most people and its kinda cathartic as it feeds my ENTP narcissism but also kinda sad because I know there's no way to escape the excrutiating process of wading through SJ donkers to find people worth talking to.

·
Banned
998 Posts
This usually has little to do with personality type and more to do with him not being that skilled in the ladies department. I used to be like that until I made it a conscious goal of mine to get over. It's a "fear of saying something stupid in front of this important person". I got over it by talking to five new girls everyday. Sounds crazy but it worked. I am now a ladies man ;). That's what I tell myself at least hehe.

See, around almost everyone ENTPs are very talkative. So the only logical explanation for his silence is fear.

My advice is to find an interest of his. Ask him "what's your hobby?" And then "what is it you love so much about it?". That'll make him more comfortable, and now you've gone from chit-chat into a conversation.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts