Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in seeing what types of "quirks" or unusual habits INTPs find themselves doing. For me, I try to keep these things unnoticed and a lot of them only occur when I'm alone or around people who I know would be oblivious to them.

I'm sure things like "nailbiting", etc. are not necessarily type related, but here are some examples of quirks that I have:

-Pens always end up in my mouth, sometimes even when they're borrowed from someone else. When I'm trying to concentrate, I instinctually want to put something in my mouth.
-I don't understand why, but I sometimes rub my pencil eraser across my lips...its weird, I know. Engaging my Se maybe?
-Touching my hair. This is probably more of a habit, but I find that it gives me something to do when I'm bored and maybe other INTPs do this?
-I tend to make songs or sing little phrases while I'm doing something. It's mildly entertaining and mostly unconscious until a family member starts laughing at my "song". When I'm in a good mood or have a lot of energy, I also comment on things outloud/talk to inanimate objects (I definately DON'T do this in public though, too self-conscious...)
-And I can't forget the "telepathy" I like to pretend I have with people. Usually annoying people or when I decide not to say something. I end up talking to them in my head like they can hear me. It helps to dissipate some of the frustration or keeps my mind interested when nothing is externally.

What about everyone else? I have a lot more I just can't think of at the moment. I have a feeling INTPs can be "strange"(from the viewpoint of others) sometimes when alone, but in a self-entertaining way. I enjoy smiling at my own humorous thoughts/actions :)

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
- I tend to bite off the utter layer of my lips and eat it
- I am constantly repeating some tune in my head or tapping a certain rhythm (in the moment from Wagners Rheingold - Descant into Nibelheim, the iron drums)
- I am prone to excessive phantasizing, often very absurd stuff, example : http://personalitycafe.com/book-mus...involves-you-other-actors-details-inside.html
- I am fed up with most hairdressers, therefore I cut my hair on my own since 2 years
- I enjoy taking long walks - only when it´s dark. My favorite: a dark misty night, when I don´t meet a single person.
- I am constantly fummling in my hair, I sometimes get cramps in my hands, because I do it so long
- Regularly I have violential phantasies
- When I am really angry, I tend to hurt myself. I beat my head against walls, kick against concrete, throw myself down from some place, scratch myself til I bleed. Though I never injured myself badly. The worst injuries til yet: A broken toe, lacerations, etc

Well I suppose I´ll stop here. This gets really weird, seeing your own eccentric habits listed up in front of you........

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
-Biting the inside of my mouth
-I lay on my couch and throw a rubber ball towards the ceiling and see how close I can get to it without touching
-I try to avoid stepping on cracks (not in an OCD way)
-Making faces in the mirror
-Stepping into my slippers first thing in the morning - left foot first. I don't let my bare foot touch floor.
-Rehearsing jokes I think of in my head while I wait for the best opportunity to try them out.
-I don't drink water that has been sitting around longer than a half hour
-I try to pee my name in cursive

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,604 Posts
l too eat my lips and love it.

Perhaps INTPs would volunteer to let me cut the skin from the bottom of their feet with a nail clipper/

Reactions: Orchidion

·
Registered
1 Posts
i make little rhymes. i bite the skin round my left thumb..i sleep with my hands together under the left side of my head..

·
Banned
701 Posts
When listening to music I like, I grind my teeth to the rhythm and melody. Each tooth corresponds to a particular note. This is the strangest of my Quirks I can think of right now, but I have legions of them.
I also shake my right leg when I'm excited.
Something more common that I always do is holding any object in my hands while listening to someone and finding out how it exactly works and how its mechanism can be used in the most unusual way. I've become pretty good at that. The best recent example I have is managing to undress this stuffed toy :

the_legend_of_zelda_link_plush_toy_1.jpg

·
Registered
iNtp sp/sx x84
4,086 Posts
I'm more likely to just grin than laugh; but when I'm caught in a fit of laughter, it's more like giggling, excessive, demented rolling on the floor (sometimes literally) giggling... perhaps reminiscent of a fapping chimpanzee falling out of a tree only to be assaulted by a hyena or dolphin.

(there's a disturbance in the farce) under stress, more than usual, paired with emotional frustrations... it heads into pseudo ocd land, with rapid finger to thumb movements - usually oblivious to it when it starts - one hand we have equations and on the other, it's taking a mental inventory of social theory and philosophical arguments. At it's worst, it'll eventually move into use of an imaginary chalkboard, add some lip movement, working in a bit of a choreography and a few rain man utterances.

and of course, a few pedestrian quirks, nail biting, etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't realize how entertaining it would be to read all of these. It's interesting how many people mentioned "mouth and lip biting", wonder why...

This one made me laugh :) (although I'm partially curious to know "where" exactly you do this...)

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
I didn't realize how entertaining it would be to read all of these. It's interesting how many people mentioned "mouth and lip biting", wonder why...

This one made me laugh :) (although I'm partially curious to know "where" exactly you do this...)
Homeless guys.
I only get the "M" in :(
Imagine if my last name was Quisenberry? I'd need to drink 4 gallons of water.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I often end up staring at people really intensely without me even noticing I'm staring. This usually happens when I'm deep in thought. Sometimes it even happens that my eyes latch on to a person and my eyes follow them around the room.

-Pens always end up in my mouth, sometimes even when they're borrowed from someone else. When I'm trying to concentrate, I instinctually want to put something in my mouth.

-And I can't forget the "telepathy" I like to pretend I have with people. Usually annoying people or when I decide not to say something. I end up talking to them in my head like they can hear me. It helps to dissipate some of the frustration or keeps my mind interested when nothing is externally.
I have both of those, the first one often ends up with me having penmarks on my face.

- When I am really angry, I tend to hurt myself. I beat my head against walls, kick against concrete, throw myself down from some place, scratch myself til I bleed. Though I never injured myself badly. The worst injuries til yet: A broken toe, lacerations, etc

Well I suppose I´ll stop here. This gets really weird, seeing your own eccentric habits listed up in front of you........

yeah, me too, though I stopped doing that when I discovered the concept of brain damage. I still have a slightly deformed skull as a result, but it's not easily noticeable. I also punch walls. I wonder if masochism is common among INTPs ?

yeah, okay this is getting wierd...

-Biting the inside of my mouth
-I lay on my couch and throw a rubber ball towards the ceiling and see how close I can get to it without touching
-I try to avoid stepping on cracks (not in an OCD way)
-Making faces in the mirror
-Stepping into my slippers first thing in the morning - left foot first. I don't let my bare foot touch floor.
-Rehearsing jokes I think of in my head while I wait for the best opportunity to try them out.
-I don't drink water that has been sitting around longer than a half hour
Haha, I do all of those, except the last one.

·
Banned
701 Posts
I wonder if masochism is common among INTPs ?
That's an interesting question. I can say I sometimes like certain types of self-inflicted pain, like the one you feel at the tip of your fingers after eating too much of your fingernails. Or biting the inside of your mouth until there's a small wound. However I doubt this is INTP related.

·
Registered
257 Posts
-bitting inside of cheek and the skin off my lip
-preferring to stand/walk around rather than sit while eating
-debating myself/vocalizing my thoughts out loud when I think no one is around
-have a habit of touching my hair a lot in an ideal state

·
Registered
106 Posts
This has been very interesting. I'll jump on the lip-eating bandwagon. Same with the rhythmic teeth-grinding someone mentioned earlier.
I have entire albums of amazing psychobilly prog metal that only exist inside my head and I once had a collection of 34 bic lighters assembled into a binary calendar that spanned 47 thousand years.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Air banding, chewing straws, chewing fingernails, staying up until the wee hours of the morning on the internet or on a game.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wow. Same with me on the lip biting. I'll also throw in that I bite my finger nails.

I label my books and file them away according to the dewey decimal system.

I make my own toothpaste. i won't brush my teeth unless I am using toothepaste i have made.

I switch out my toothbrushes once a week.

I cannot sleep without my teddy bear.

·
Registered
938 Posts
o I pick something, like my head, face, nails... always picking. Cleaning the underside of my nails, they cannot have dirt or anything.
o Washing my hands... I'm always washing.
o Crawling up into the prone positions to sit down and putting my head on my knees.
o Tapping/shaking my foot/leg... all the time
o rubbing my face when I'm frustrated... over and over.
o Chewing slow while watching a scene from tv or a movie that is in slow motion. :blushed: I'm a dork.
And everything Textro F said,
-bitting inside of cheek and the skin off my lip
-preferring to stand/walk around rather than sit while eating
-debating myself/vocalizing my thoughts out loud when I think no one is around
-have a habit of touching my hair a lot in an ideal state

1 - 20 of 57 Posts