Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all. I would be interested in reading any quotes you know that can apply to INTPs. It can be a description, a single line, some lyrics, even cartoon character lines; anything you'd like. I'l start with an obvious one.

"I think; therefore, I am."

And this, from Futurama.

Professor Hubert Farnsworth: And what makes my engines truly remarkable is the afterburner, which delivers 200% fuel efficiency.
Cubert J. Farnsworth: That's especially impossible.
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Not at all. It's very simple.
Cubert J. Farnsworth: Then explain it.
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Now that's impossible! It came to me in a dream, and I forgot it in another dream.

·
Registered
43 Posts
"I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I said." - Alan Greenspan

·
Registered
454 Posts
"Me: Are you mad?
You: Nope
Me: Are you sure?
You: Yup
Me: You still seem mad..
You: I'm not
Me: Why the short answers?
You: I don't know..
Me: So your not mad?
You: Noo
Me: You're totally sure?
You: SHUT THE F*** UP, I'M NOT MAD!!! "
btw not actually my quote.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
To punish me for my contempt of authority, Fate has made me an authority myself.
Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.
A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move toward higher levels.
I think that only daring speculation can lead us further and not accumulation of facts.
I love to travel, but I hate to arrive.
courtesy of mr. Einstein

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I am truly a 'lone traveler' and have never belonged to my country, my home, my friends, or even my immediate family, with my whole heart; in the face of all these ties, I have never lost a sense of distance and a need for solitude...
This Einstein guy really knows whassup, seriously.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ Well said.

"Dangerous? Poor old Waldman. Have you never wanted to do anything that was dangerous? Where should we be if no one tried to find out what lies beyond? Have your never wanted to look beyond the clouds and the stars, or to know what causes the trees to bud? And what changes the darkness into light? But if you talk like that, people call you crazy. Well, if I could discover just one of these things, what eternity is, for example, I wouldn't care if they did think I was crazy. "~ Dr. Frankenstein, Frankenstein (1931)

·
Banned
5,394 Posts
"Perhaps, when a man has special knowledge and special powers like my own, it rather encourages him to seek a complex explanation when a simpler one is at hand." Sherlock Holmes

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Albert Einstein, INTP

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.” -- Bertrand Russell

“Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.” Arthur Schopenhauer

No man who worships education has got the best out of education... Without a gentle contempt for education no man's education is complete.
G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936) British author

A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education he may steal the whole railroad.
Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) American president

The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple.-Oscar Wilde

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Don't taunt the alligator until after you've crossed the creek.-Dan Rather

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.-George S. Patton

Self-suggestion makes you master of yourself.-W. Clement Stone

The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions.-Oliver Wendell Holmes

We should not judge people by their peak of excellence; but by the distance they have traveled from the point where they started.-Henry Ward Beecher
I got all of these and more on my facebook page. Also the below are some of mine that I will make famous someday:

"Impossible stems from a lack of understanding, and there's nothing I can't understand."

"Someday soon I will spread my wings and fly, and when I do I will bring man to a new place both in knowledge, and in wisdom."

"People are simple in their own complicated ways."
I'm sure I'll come up with more later:wink:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers." Janis Joplin

"I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up." Mark Twain

"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards." Lewis Carroll

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

·
Registered
702 Posts
I've always liked this one: "He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god." Aristotle

Reactions: L

·
Registered
454 Posts
"Although I could be wrong."

A phrase used far too often by myself and other INTP's; although I could be wrong. :tongue:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
"I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong." -Bertrand Russell

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell

"I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird." -Frank Zappa

"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving." -Lao Tzu

"They can because they think they can." -Virgil

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
He's keeping busier, he's bleeding stones
With his machinations and his palindromes
It was anything but hear the voice
Anything but hear the voice
It was anything but hear the voice that says that we're all basically alone

Poor Professor Pynchon had only good intentions when he
Put his Bunsen burners all away
And turning to a playground: a Petri dish where single cells
Would swing their fists at anything that looks like easy prey

In this nature show that rages every day
It was then he heard his intuition say
We were all basically alone

And despite what all his studies had shown
That what's mistaken for closeness is just a case of mitosis
And why do some show no mercy while others are painfully shy?
Tell me doctor, can you quantify?
He just wants to know the reason why
The reason why

Why do they congregate in groups of four,
Scatter like a billion spores
And let the wind just carry them away?
How can kids be so mean?
Our famous doctor tried to glean as he went home at the end of the day

In this nature show that rages every day
It was then he heard his intuition say
We were all basically alone

Despite what all his studies had shown
That what's mistaken for closeness is just a case of mitosis
Sure fatal doses of malcontent through osmosis
And why do some show no mercy while others are painfully shy?
Tell me doctor, can you quantify
The reason why?

--Andrew Bird, "Imitosis"

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Maybe an INTP at his or her best:

“Life is extraordinarily suave and sweet with certain natural, witty, affectionate people who have unusual distinction and are capable of every vice, but who make a display of none in public and about whom no one can affirm they have a single one. There is something supple and secret about them. Besides, their perversity gives spice to their most innocent occupations, such as taking a walk in the garden at night.”

- Marcel Proust

·
Registered
114 Posts
'If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer.' Thoreau
'Some people see things as they are and ask 'why'? I see things as they have never been and ask 'why not'?' George Bernard Shaw
'Creative minds are rarely tidy.' Abbey Plaque
The best work we do is on the verge of embarrassing us, always.' Arthur Miller (I commonly get wtf looks from my friends when explaining some of my thoughts about things)
“Any situation in which some men prevent others from engaging in the process of inquiry is one of violence;… to alienate humans from their own decision making is to change them into objects.” -Paulo Freire (just a quote I thought applies to INTP people, from a great book, Pedagogy of the Oppressed)

·
Registered
454 Posts
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional - Unknown

Reactions: Kakarookee

·
Registered
442 Posts
“Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?”
-- A.A. Milne

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.