Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that the ENTPs started this on their forum, so I thought I'd steal the idea since I have always loved quotes (I have them at the bottom of all my e-mails that rotate).

So what quotes out there you feel reflect you?

I'll start with some of my absolute favorites...

"Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true." -- Leon J. Suenes

"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams" - Eleanor Roosevelt (a fellow INFJ)

"You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say yourself, ‘ I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' You must do the thing you think you cannot do."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (fellow INFJ)

"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. 
But above all, 
the world needs dreamers who do." 
- Sarah Ban Breathnach

"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them."
- Walt Disney (an ENTP... I can see why they are a perfect match for INFJs... LOVE his quotes)

... now maybe you guys have some good ones I can snatch!! :laughing:

·
Registered
166 Posts
The pessimist complains about the wind, the optimist expects it to change and the realist adjusts the sails.

here's one in french, i'll translate it;

" La vie ressemble à un conte ; ce qui importe, ce n'est pas sa longueur, mais sa valeur. "
Sénèque

Life is like a tale (story); what matters, it's not the length, but the value.

and

God put me on this earth
to accomplish a certain
number of things.

Right now,
I'm so far behind
I will never die. :wink:

·
Registered
473 Posts
"To laugh often and much; To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
I love that one.

I have kept a book of handwritten quotes since I was about 16 and I have kept adding to it since then. Here's a few of my favorites:

"It is the law of human life, as certain as gravity; to live fully, we must learn to use things and love people...not love things and use people." - Maria Montessori

"Nothing happens in living nature that is not related to the whole." - Goethe

"...a human has no right to destroy what he did not create." - Wendell Berry

"It is wrong to think that bodily health is compatible with spiritual confusion, or cultural disorder, or with polluted air and water or impoverished soil." - Wendell Berry

"Few laymen understand that the synthesizing theories of science are religious revelations in disguise." - John Taylor Gatto

Describing the land around Puget Sound WA before it was settled:

"...a climate where being is bliss - where every breath is a draught of vivid life..." - Theodore Winthrope

"Increasingly over the last maybe 40 years, the thought has come to me that the old world in which our people lived by the work of their hands, close to weather and Earth, plants and animals, was the true world; and that the New World of cheap energy and ever cheaper money, honored greed, and dreams of liberation from every restraint, is mostly theater. This new world seems a jumble of scenery and props never quite believable, and economy of fantasies and moods, in which it is hard to remember either the timely world of nature or the eternal world of the prophets and poets. And I fear, I believe I know, that the doom of the older world I knew as a boy will finally afflict the new one that replaced it." - Wendell Berry, from Andy Catlett - Early Travels.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I'm an Emerson fan too.

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; begin it well and serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"For everything you have missed, you have gained something else, and for everything you gain, you lose something else. " - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live." - Oscar Wilde

"In the whole of your life there are maybe a handful of people who genuinely share your world with you, who for more than a moment inhabit the same place - as if you are imperfect facets of the same being. You owe them, and yourself. That's all." - Michael Marshall Smith

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So … sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain

·
Registered
473 Posts
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So … sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
That one is particularly fitting for me right now. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
"In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst. In the name of the values that keep you alive, do not let your vision of man be distorted by the ugly, the cowardly, the mindless in those who have never achieved his title. Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of your battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours." - Ayn Rand

"Any new possibility that existence acquires, even the least likely, transforms everything about existence." - Milan Kundera

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." - Mark Twain

"..The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."- Steve Jobs

"The greatest thing you can do for another is not just share your riches, but reveal to them their own." - Benjamin Disraeli

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
"We are all stupid, it is simply a matter of how often." -My step dad

"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is a choice." -Buddhist proverb

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." -Albert Einstein

"With neither condemning nor condoning, I understand." -Dr. Manhattan

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity." -Albert Einstein

And the one in my signature as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”

T E Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia)

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I love quotes! I bought a blank journal to write all my favourite quotes in *opens it*:

Hope:

'There is always hope' - I think I heard this in the LOTR movies...did Arwen say it?

"Hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
and sings the tune
without the words,
and never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

"This too shall pass" - proverb

Other quotes:

(Speaking of Humans)
'Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they've managed to invent boredom?' - Death, The Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

'He covered page after page with wild words of sorrow and wilder words of pain. There is a luxury in self-reproach. When we blame ourselves, we feel that no one else has a right to blame us. It is the confession, not the priest, that gives us absolution' - The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde

'It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.' - Dumbledore, Harry Potter, J.K.Rowling

'How quick come the reasons for approving what we like' - Persuasion, Jane Austen

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
Some more (sorry I couldn't resist!).

'It is a feeling that no matter what the ideas or conduct of others, there is a unique rightness and beauty to life which can be shared in openness, in wind and sunlight, with a fellow human being who believes in the same basic principles.' - Sylvia Plath

'I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited. ' - Sylvia Plath

'I took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. I am. I am. I am.' - Sylvia Plath

'It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.' - Aristotle

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a time when you have a chance to show it... to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.
- Pirates of the Caribbean

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Elizabeth Swann: There will come a time when you have a chance to show it... to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by.
- Pirates of the Caribbean
Ha, love that!! I must have missed hearing that one in the movie.

Here's another Steve Jobs one...

“Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma - which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.” - Steve Jobs

·
Registered
54 Posts
These are my favorites:

"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass... it's about learning how to dance in the rain." unknown

"We can learn a lot from trees: they're always grounded but never stop reaching heavenward." Everett Mamor

"The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball." Doug Larson

"Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus when the limo breaks down." Oprah Winfrey

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." Albert Einstein

"I think of life as a good book. The further you get into it, the more it begins to make sense." Harold S. Kushner

"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice." Cherokee Expression

"The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!" Marvin Phillips

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.“
~Voltaire

“The crash of the whole solar and stellar systems could only kill you once."
~Thomas Carlyle

“I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.“
~Robert A. Heinlein

"Look out there... those buildings... the uglification of the world. The only place we can find beauty, is it its persecutors have overlooked it. It's a planetary process, and I can't stand it."
~Sabina (The Unbearable Lightness of Being- the film not the book)

"I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit."
~Kahlil Gibran

"From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down, I was convulsed with laughter. Someday I intend reading it."
~Groucho Marx

"I am two with nature."
~Woody Allen

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
~Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
~Marcus Aurelius

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
“I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.“
~Voltaire

"I love you when you bow in your mosque, kneel in your temple, pray in your church. For you and I are sons of one religion, and it is the spirit."
~Kahlil Gibran

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth."
~Marcus Aurelius
I like these three very much. The third one somehow goes along with the saying, "Take it with a grain of salt."

:wink:

Reactions: HorribleAesthete

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
"Pain is inevitable. Suffering is a choice." -Buddhist proverb
So right!

Hope:

'There is always hope' - I think I heard this in the LOTR movies...did Arwen say it?

"Hope is the thing with feathers
that perches in the soul
and sings the tune
without the words,
and never stops at all" - Emily Dickinson

"This too shall pass" - proverb
I love Emily!

I use to say "and this too shall pass" quite often. Somehow, it helped me more to say it out loud. I do not use it much anymore. I do believe I was conditioning myself into believing that everythiing was gong to be ok~~self-affirmation maybe? When someone I know is very upset, I will tell them, "Just keep telling yourself out loud, and this too shall pass."

Thank you umbrellasky!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts