6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Acts of choice, draw on the same limited resource used for self-control."

- Roy Baumeister

Reactions: Aquamarine

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I'll probably end up adding more quotes from Epictetus' Enchiridion as this thread goes along, but here are three of my favorites.

-"Never say of anything, "I have lost it"; but, "I have returned it." Is your child dead? It is returned. Is your wife dead? She is returned. Is your estate taken away? Well, and is not that likewise returned? "But he who took it away is a bad man." What difference is it to you who the giver assigns to take it back? While he gives it to you to possess, take care of it; but don't view it as your own, just as travelers view a hotel."

-"When any person harms you, or speaks badly of you, remember that he acts or speaks from a supposition of its being his duty. Now, it is not possible that he should follow what appears right to you, but what appears so to himself. Therefore, if he judges from a wrong appearance, he is the person hurt, since he too is the person deceived. For if anyone should suppose a true proposition to be false, the proposition is not hurt, but he who is deceived about it. Setting out, then, from these principles, you will meekly bear a person who reviles you, for you will say upon every occasion, "It seemed so to him.""

-"Everything has two handles, the one by which it may be carried, the other by which it cannot. If your brother acts unjustly, don't lay hold on the action by the handle of his injustice, for by that it cannot be carried; but by the opposite, that he is your brother, that he was brought up with you; and thus you will lay hold on it, as it is to be carried."

·
Registered
856 Posts
Do you have any examples?
Since @Static Dream doesn't seem to be replying any time soon, I can provide a few Oscar Wilde and John Green quotes.

My favourite Oscar Wilde quote is: "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much."
The Picture of Dorian Gray is full of them. Pretty short book too. I thoroughly recommend it. Don't read it in public though. I barely had any time to read it because people kept telling me how much they enjoyed the book themselves.

As for John Green quotes, there's just so many! First off, there's the one in my signature.

"Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself." - How Nerdfighters Drop Insults, Youtube video

"You can love someone so much...But you can never love people as much as you can miss them." - An Abundance of Katherines

"What a slut time is. She screws everybody." - The Fault in Our Stars

Don't ask me why, but this is my favourite quote from the Fault in Our Stars:
"One swing set, well worn but structurally sound, seeks new home. Make memories with your kid or kids so that someday he or she or they will look into the backyard and feel the ache of sentimentality as desperately as I did this afternoon. It's all fragile and fleeting, dear reader, but with this swing set, your child(ren) will be introduced to the ups and downs of human life gently and safely, and may also learn the most important lesson of all: No matter how hard you kick, no matter how high you get, you can't go all the way around."

Given that the famous, "I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once" is on the next page, I'm in the minority.

·
Registered
426 Posts
From casablanca:
"oh please, it's a little game we play... He hands me the bill, I tear up the bill, it's very convenient."
From life:
"NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM"

·
Registered
137 Posts
"[..] one must look at her from 6 AM till 11 PM , because later, she can't be seen in the dark"
-Andrejs Skailis
I suspect this author to be an INTP. He wrote satires and this is a quote from his autobiographical book where he wrote about the most interesting/quirky persons he had met. Here he had described an older girl he liked.

·
Banned
7,928 Posts
Civilization V Quotes « A Northern Wind
Most of those.

A few samples from that:

"He who knows others is wise;”
He who knows himself is enlightened."
– Lao-tzu

“The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.”
– Albert Einstein

“Libraries are as the shrine where all the relics of the ancient saints, full of true virtue, and all that without delusion or imposture are preserved and reposed.”
– Sir Francis Bacon

“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
– Socrates

·
Registered
20 Posts
“The road to truth is long, and lined the entire way with annoying bastards.”

"People seem to get nostalgic about a lot of things they weren’t so crazy about the first time around."

"The worst thing that being an artist could do to you would be that it would make you slightly unhappy constantly."

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast."

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."
"God is dead."
- Nietzsche

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."--Winston Churchill

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've posted this quote multiple times, tis one of my favorites.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world’s opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Also, any bit of writing from Henry David Thoreau. These are random but I like them.

“I am a happy camper so I guess I’m doing something right. Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.”

“We must learn to reawaken and keep ourselves awake, not by mechanical aids, but by an infinite expectation of the dawn, which does not forsake us even in our soundest sleep. I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by a conscious endeavour. It is something to be able to paint a particular picture, or to carve a statue, and so to make a few objects beautiful; but it is far more glorious to carve and paint the very atmosphere and medium through which we look, which morally we can do. To affect the quality of the day, that is the highest of arts.”

“As a single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives.”

“I do believe in simplicity. It is astonishing as well as sad, how many trivial affairs even the wisest thinks he must attend to in a day; how singular an affair he thinks he must omit. When the mathematician would solve a difficult problem, he first frees the equation of all incumbrances, and reduces it to its simplest terms. So simplify the problem of life, distinguish the necessary and the real. Probe the earth to see where your main roots run. ”

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
"even in friendly conversation
I get the bell hooks-ian urge
to kill mother-fuckers who say stupid shit to me
all day
bitter branches of things I cannot say out loud
sprout deviant from my neck"

(first to come to mind... there are others, more formal ones I'd dig up for things such as this... but eh.)

·
Registered
515 Posts
"When I’m old and dying, I plan to look back on my life and say 'wow, that was an adventure,' not 'wow, I sure felt safe.'"
- Tom Preston-Werner

"When you've got 10,000 people trying to do the same thing, why would you want to be number 10,001?"
-Mark Cuban

“Always do what you are afraid to do.”
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Fear can turn you inside out or you can make fear work for you. Use it like another weapon. Fear is a funny thing. It can make you weak-kneed, make you pee your pants, make you whimper like a baby. Or fear can make you run faster, hit harder."

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
-Miguel de Cervantes

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
"The depths of a man's soul cannot be measured in a manner of meters and fathoms, but rather, it is in my opinion only quantified by his proximity to heaven or hell" - Alesana

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Great literary character Ignatius J. Reilly quotes-

“I avoid that bleak first hour of the working day during which my still sluggish senses and body make ever chore a penance. I find that in arriving later, the work which I do perform is of a much higher quality.”

“Is my paranoia getting completely out of hand, or are you mongoloids really talking about me?”

“I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.”

1 - 20 of 460 Posts