Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, do any other INFPs have a common problem where you know the answer, or you have something to say, so you raise your hand in class or take the in-breath to talk and people allow you to talk, and then as you are starting to form your sentence, you realize, much to your dismay, that you don't actually have solid words to explain what you were thinking? And then at that point, you have to decide whether to say, "Nevermind," make something up, or try to talk through it and actually sound really stupid?

·
Registered
752 Posts
I do this so many times when I'm talking to people it's not even funny, and I find lots of things funny. Family, strangers, it makes not a bit of difference.

I don't talk through it most of the time though. I just say never mind and that's the end...until I get pressured about it, or the other person begins to act melancholy and even distant :(

·
Registered
717 Posts
When I talk in class, I have no idea if anyone actually understands what I'm trying to say. They usually all stare at me for a second. The teacher will say something noncommittal. Then the conversation moves on. :confused:

When I raise my hand, I usually have something to say practiced in my head, but lately my teachers have been calling on me because I nod along with what other people say when I agree with them. The teacher asks why I was nodding. I say that what my classmate said made sense, and everybody laughs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Either you say it and it comes out all jarbled and you regret being too impulsive, or you wait until you've perfected it in your head but you're too late and the the conversation has already moved on, and you regret not being impulsive enough.
Or you just keep it to yourself and not say anything, and feel like you're not doing enough to be heard...

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
When I talk in class, I have no idea if anyone actually understands what I'm trying to say. They usually all stare at me for a second. The teacher will say something noncommittal. Then the conversation moves on. :confused:

When I raise my hand, I usually have something to say practiced in my head, but lately my teachers have been calling on me because I nod along with what other people say when I agree with them. The teacher asks why I was nodding. I say that what my classmate said made sense, and everybody laughs.
I do that too! I have to rehearse what to say and how to say it, I have to keep repeating to myself "DONT SPEAK FAST, DONT SPEAK FAST", oh the joys of high school.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
when i was in elementary school, i was way more outspoken - and thusly learned in elementary school that i need to shut up. by the time i got in highschool, and for the rest of the time i was in school, i kept myself just about as quiet as a corpse (minus the frequent yawns - gosh, i cant help it, even if i was interested in the discussion i'd be yawning constantly).

the big problem was when i would be called on to talk out of the blue, which would, most of the time, result in me stuttering and looking confused/scared and saying something dreadfully stupid. to a large degree because, in classes, within about ten seconds of class discussion my mind would wander on to other things, and i'd only pop back and realize "oops, i ought to be listening to this" after a half hour or so had passed : /

almost always did alright on tests and essays and all that junk, but, honestly, i was never a particularly good student.

·
Registered
615 Posts
That is the story of my life. I'm trying to get over it, lol. But it's incredibly difficult, I'm not good at spur of the moment action, it's so much easier thinking it over...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Happens to me all the time lol. We used to have to give speeches every day in one of my high school classes, and I would memorize mine instead of just reading off a page like everyone else. I could recite the speech in my head, but as soon as I got up to talk, I would just freeze up and forget EVERYTHING lol. Made me look like a loser. :p But then Junior year i gave an entire3 page project speech off the top of my head. :D I was failing the class though and was determined to prove the teacher that I was making a solid effort to get back on track.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Haha. I almost never raise my hand, even when I know the answer. And sometimes if I have a teacher who has the mandatory participation BS, I have to... and my heart pounds and pounds for minutes afterward. Even if I'm not called on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I only put my hand up if I'm 100% sure I know the answer (and can subsequently verbalize it). With that said, the more I have to explain and the more my prof asks me to explain in detail I get redder, and redder, and redder. I truly do hate it when I am the focal point of attention among equals.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I forced myself to raise my hand if there were crickets chirping for more than five seconds, especially in my English/Social Sciences classes in high school and then again while I was in my military training. I felt like crap as every second passed and I rarely managed to actually /say/ what was in my head, but it was far, far, far worse to watch the instructor start to look over who s/he was going to call on. At least if I raised my hand then I was initiating it and felt like maybe I could get some slack for a poorly worded answer just because I actually volunteered to answer.

I also discovered that if I did that, I was not going to be called on out of the blue quite as frequently as the other students who didn't raise their hands or their voices. The only problem was that if there were other students answering but who just didn't seem to get what the instructors were asking then I would be called on. :unsure: I don't like that part.

Sad, but just remembering what that felt like is making me all sorts of nervous/shaky right now. Fail.

Reactions: rowingineden
1 - 18 of 18 Posts