Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting this here since I would like feedback on it.

I've really yet to find something better to call myself than Si-dom. However, I have a decent use of Ne in certain situations - or what I view as Ne, anyway. I'm the sort of person who can look at objects at Walmart (lamps, knives, etc) and comment that they'd be very handy against robbers. I've never been robbed nor mugged in my life, yet my mind goes there quite naturally. I was rather violent in junior high and high school, and I'd often make do with pencils or the like. Or I can look at an event (or listen to it) and decide that it has story potential. I recall doing this a fair amount with a writer friend in high school, giving her ideas to work with. I can jury-rig stuff if I lack what is necessary or use less orthodox methods to reach my goal (using tweezers to fix my cassette tapes when the bridge messed up, using a plastic knife on freshly-cooked shrimp kebabs when everyone else just dealt with the pain, etc). I enjoy seeing how various facts or events fit together, and I can get frustrated if I cannot make them fit. One somewhat recent, fairly humorous example regarded a friend throwing out a plausible explanation for an event in a TV show that utterly broke my brain because it made no freaking sense; the explanation wasn't canon, but it was something to work with. I'll often crack jokes or make references relating the current topic to something it reminded me of - not constructive, perhaps, but relevant in my mind.

Yet despite all this, I very much prefer the known and familiar. I am so prone to catastrophizing it's ridiculous. It seems like my Ne (if that's what this is) manifests in "safe" ways but is pushed aside when it bumps up against Si matters. Is this theoretically sound?

·
Registered
4,928 Posts

I've really yet to find something better to call myself than Si-dom. However, I have a decent use of Ne in certain situations - or what I view as Ne, anyway. I'm the sort of person who can look at objects at Walmart (lamps, knives, etc) and comment that they'd be very handy against robbers. I've never been robbed nor mugged in my life, yet my mind goes there quite naturally. I was rather violent in junior high and high school, and I'd often make do with pencils or the like. Or I can look at an event (or listen to it) and decide that it has story potential. I recall doing this a fair amount with a writer friend in high school, giving her ideas to work with. I can jury-rig stuff if I lack what is necessary or use less orthodox methods to reach my goal (using tweezers to fix my cassette tapes when the bridge messed up, using a plastic knife on freshly-cooked shrimp kebabs when everyone else just dealt with the pain, etc). I enjoy seeing how various facts or events fit together, and I can get frustrated if I cannot make them fit. One somewhat recent, fairly humorous example regarded a friend throwing out a plausible explanation for an event in a TV show that utterly broke my brain because it made no freaking sense; the explanation wasn't canon, but it was something to work with. I'll often crack jokes or make references relating the current topic to something it reminded me of - not constructive, perhaps, but relevant in my mind.

Yet despite all this, I very much prefer the known and familiar. I am so prone to catastrophizing it's ridiculous. It seems like my Ne (if that's what this is) manifests in "safe" ways but is pushed aside when it bumps up against Si matters. Is this theoretically sound?
Describe what you just wrote with a giant metaphor.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
@Kanerou, I think people vastly underplay what introverted sensing can do. The key is a Si dominant has a very essential need for extroverted intuition, and it will inform the Si type to no end about what is taking place in the observed contents beneath the surface. But the meaning of being Si dominant is they will almost always fixate on sense details involved foremost, with the generating of intuitive content in the data subordinate to S.

The inferior is not a rejected perspective, merely a perspective we have difficulty offering its own identity. Basically by necessity, en
route to perceiving intuitive content, there is sensory content lurking, and it is the Si's concern to arrest this content without failure.

Much as a T dominant generally will take a casual pleasure in the occasional F judgment, if not far too polarized, an S type will intuit at times for its sake. But ultimately they are going to sensetuit more than intuit.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
*blink* Why?
Temperament Part 2: The MBTI's 16 types and Cognitive Functions

Here's something to read if you haven't.
I agree with bearotter, essentially.
Your guess that Ne operates unless it "bumps" into Si seems solid. I would ask what was a more prevalent feature of your psyche- the interpretation and claiming(mentally) of objects or the creation of their gestalt-in-context?

I could be off in my understanding, but that's because I'm messing around with new function definitions today : P

And on second thought, the gestalt-in-context thing is a projection of Ti-Ne...so. Disregard if you don't know what I mean.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Temperament Part 2: The MBTI's 16 types and Cognitive Functions

Here's something to read if you haven't.
I agree with bearotter, essentially.
Your guess that Ne operates unless it "bumps" into Si seems solid. I would ask what was a more prevalent feature of your psyche- the interpretation and claiming(mentally) of objects or the creation of their gestalt-in-context?

I could be off in my understanding, but that's because I'm messing around with new function definitions today : P

And on second thought, the gestalt-in-context thing is a projection of Ti-Ne...so. Disregard if you don't know what I mean.
Yeah, I have no idea what you mean. >.> I'll look through the link.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sounds about right. Lemme try to confirm / reflect that back with some counterrambling.

I found it very easy to identify my Ne, as an obvious / clearly-contrasting / usually-satisfying / not-particularly-frequent / sometimes-unreliable-or-embarrassing-in-ways-I-can't-anticipate element of my experience -- but I'm not particularly comfortable relying on it when I actually have to deal with something new or challenging (as I periodically rediscover) since that's what an aux or perhaps tert are for. :p

Indeed Ne to me is somehow both more natural and obvious perspective to me than are Fe or Ti, and yet less easily accessible when I "reach for it" and only shows up to me when I've a shitload of Si for it to manifest through / be implicit in -- although the latter point is difficult to appreciate since it's so easy to overlook Si as such, it being such an underlying taken-for-granted constant in the experience of a Si-dom an' all. Presumably that's just how the inferior looks from inside a person's head.

(And that's about what I get out of your post so FWIW I think you're on the right track.)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I don't think Ne and Si are contradictory. For example, what if you're stuck on an island without a toothbrush, and you really want to brush your teeth? Your Ne could be thinking, "Hey, I can use that twig for brushing my teeth," and your Si would be imagining how it might feel against the insides of your mouth based on the memory of how similar textures or materials have felt to you before, and based on those you can make your decision of whether to really do it. Teamwork!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

Si-doms, in my experience, act uncomfortable at the suggestion that things are used in an unconventional way. I.E. a floor lamp is a lamp, not a weapon, that's what mace is for.

Your description makes it sound like Ne than Si. What triggers the catastrophizing? Maybe it's another function at work? You could be a self-pres type which makes you prefer the familiar. If you are an INxP then Ne+Si are #2 and #3 which makes them more equal in use. That happens in ESxJs too, but you don't sound like one.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Si-doms, in my experience, act uncomfortable at the suggestion that things are used in an unconventional way. I.E. a floor lamp is a lamp, not a weapon, that's what mace is for.

Your description makes it sound like Ne than Si. What triggers the catastrophizing? Maybe it's another function at work? You could be a self-pres type which makes you prefer the familiar. If you are an INxP then Ne+Si are #2 and #3 which makes them more equal in use. That happens in ESxJs too, but you don't sound like one.
...only uncomfortable due to a justifiable fear of the lack of convention causing unnecessary failure. This changes very quickly if failure is deemed not significant, another concern becomes a priority, or current procedure is seen as flawed. This is when Si starts to utilize Ne. If you have a lamp and a mace and need a weapon... grab the mace. If you don't have a mace and need a weapon... grab the lamp. Then, the Si starts to realize that in x and y situation, there won't be a weapon available. They look around to see what could be used as a weapon. You might think this is an Ne action, but it's actually more Si. N shows how things relate in conceptual essence... S shows how things relate in sensory essence. To comprehend that a lamp could be a weapon, you MUST use S to physically relate them... N is only necessary when you have to reconceive something. Luckily, Si types can do that too... but their wheelhouse is definitely repurposing rather than reconceiving. Se is perhaps more intrepid at repurposing, but Si is 'better' and more precise. They are just as capable of jury rigging as any Se, better than Ne, but why mess around? Use what is best.

Also, speaking more generally...

Some INTPs are seen as detached and impish, tucked so deep in their laboratories and logic that Fe has no place and is never seen.

Then again, some INTPs bleeding heart saps distinctly focused on empathizing with the world and the people in it - or who feel the constant nagging fear that their life will have no objective worth unless they devise some great humane effort.

From this you have Jimmy Wales, Einstein, even Bill Nye (the Science Guy!), and... well... me!

But, if we sorry lot are being tossed about by an inferior function... shouldn't it be fear-based, silly, and negative? I believe the above individuals show that it is not. I use this sort of reasoning to present myself with a paradox against my own limited perspective and bias. How is it that my inferior serves me constantly and wonderfully - if not a touch neurotically - and yet the same cannot be true of, say, ISxJ, simply because I have not observed it?

Luckily, I have observed it. There is a local writers group, run by an xSTJ, whose talent and hobby is vetting people's story ideas... who utilizes Ne a great deal in offering suggestions on people's work. It's perfect because Ne is present and useful, but it's in its place. If it were more dominant, she might have more ideas... but how would she know where to stop? How would she help others? Her Ne is perfect for her - and gives her the best of both worlds. An ISTJ I know once organized an interesting little event for her little sister. Her sister had thrown away all her own stuffed animals because her mother had told her she was getting too old to have them. Upset, my friend took this awesome psychotic-looking stuffed monkey she'd gotten at a fair (she collects crazy stuff like that). She took a camera and all the stuffed animals from the garbage and began sending pictures of them being tortured in various ways by the monkey (Miko, the Death Lord, by name). The sister had to perform fun tasks around town to earn their freedom (like dancing in front of their neighbors house or offering a lock of her own hair to a stranger). If she failed or feigned apathy, digits and limbs of the wretched creatures would be sent via mail, soaked in fake blood (it turns out that the blood of stuffed animals tastes quiet a bit like corn syrup!).

Eventually, after more than a month and quite a bit of jumping through well-organized hoops, she had reclaimed each animal from the sadistic Death Lord. Many years later, she still has them. She also has a meticulously crafted picture book, scrawled in childish pen with abysmal spelling and grammar, in which Miko tells the story of the abductions and recounts, with some frustration, the tasks done to secure their freedom.

That was SUCH an Si project: infused with Ne. She still reads that picture book to her nieces and nephews, to warn them of the dangers of abandoning their stuffed animals. It's a cruel world out there.
@Kanerou - yes, it is theoretically sound. We often think that Si types must have no good use of Ne to be Si types. I think we think that merely because it is easiest to call to mind extremes... and even easier to call to mind negative ones. For this reason, and due to lack of participation on the part of S types, our descriptions of them are limiting and ungenerous. More importantly, they are too often wrong. Don't take Si off the table just because you are capable and competent at Ne.

·
Registered
650 Posts
The opinion over at CT is that the functions are often ordered Ne/Si/Ti/Fe. Basically, we can see in real time that anyone who uses Si has to go back and forth to Ne every so often. Si worldview is dependant on new Ne information.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts