Personality Cafe banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something hit me like a lightening bolt today!
I'd love to know what random acts of kindness have you experienced, both sides of the coin. have you ever done anything totally unexpected for someone else? Has someone else ever done anything amazing and surprising for you?
How did you/they react? How did it make you feel?

I'll start: A couple of months ago they were painting our apartment complex and a man jumped on my balcony to work. I was sitting in the floor by the window. We saw each other and grinned, because I guess it struck us both funny. I decided to make this encounter even more interesting so I got up opened the door and asked Him if he wanted some chocolate I bought that was really good. He didn't speak any English but he understood my gestures. He looked delighted, took the chocolate and finished his job and left with a smile and a wave. This still makes me happy when I think about it.

One day my friend and I went through Starbucks and when we got up to the window we were told we didn't need to pay for our coffee. Why? because someone about ten cars before us paid for theirs and the car behind them. The car behind them decided to keep it going and so forth. I kept it going; I wish I knew how long it lasted! I thought it was really cool!

One more big one: Months ago I had been grocery shopping with my two friends. We had over $200 worth of groceries in our basket. We got to the part where we pay and realized none of us had anything to pay with! Somehow we all managed to accidentally leave our money at home! Boy were we embarrassed. We apologized to the cashier and the guy behind us for wasting their time and started to walk out when we were stopped by the guy behind us and he said “take your groceries” and he handed the cashier his Visa to pay for ours. Needless to say we were astonished and grateful beyond our ability to express! We even tried to refuse but he wouldn't listen. I still feel a bit shocked when I think about it. How often do you meet a person like that!

I’d love to hear about anyone else’s experiences.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I was glad simply to have talked to my neighbor the other day. His whole household seems to keep to themselves mostly. Even though I am a bit shy and things like that provoke my emotions, it felt really good thinking that just doing that probably made both of us feel more at home in our neighborhood, and the people we live around are good people.

A coworker offered me a cup of milk today he had brought from home. I am more neutral toward milk, but something about an offering like that made me not want to refuse it, so I didn't, and thanked him for it. He may as well have told me he drew a picture with crayons and wanted to know if I wanted one.

Remodelers have been over at my house. I don't own it, but the house was in a trust, and I am provided a place to live in return for maintaining the house and keeping it looking nice until it sells. One guy was working late into the evening after I had gotten home from work. I took an ice-cream sandwich down to him, although it made me feel like a little kid. He thanked me for it later. I have more trust in him because of this, which feels good especially since all my belongings are right there for them if they were not honest. Of course, I know myself to be sometimes reckless on purpose just to make a point about trusting people. Maybe I would want to experience the feeling of being taken advantage of just so I can make a point of overcoming that feeling. It is not a very virtuous motive. It's purpose is to make me feel better than others, which is quite hypocritical of me. I would want to be more careful in the future to catch myself thinking this way.

I have heard of people covering the tolls of people behind them in a book talking about practicing random acts of kindness. I have left change in a vending machine before, although I think I was most pleased thinking about them wondering why someone would do that.

This topic makes me want to be kinder toward people, and apologetic for not only the ways I try to manipulate people, but for thinking poorly of myself because of it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
They haven't happened to me a lot, but I've done a bunch of little random things, like help an older person with carrying something, or holding doors open... you know little stuff. I get a surge of energy after helping out someone, it feels good.

I remember one time though, I was in a Mexican restaurant and had bought a burrito and couldn't afford the drink to go with my meal so I just ordered the burrito. I sat down and was eating and some lady I guess saw me without a drink and got up and gave me 3$ and said, "Here go get yourself a drink." I just said wow thanks you didn't have to and she just said something about karma I don't remember. I was shocked for a long time after, because people usually aren't nice like that as far as I know.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Two days ago I was driving around in my hometown on my scooter. I had spent the entire day looking for jobs, making resumes etc.; all stuff I was doing for myself and I had a great feeling of accomplishment.

While I was driving, a woman was crossing the road, walking, at the same time and we both stopped. I made a gesture as to indicate that she could pass and I would wait. She smiled gratefully and walked past.

The feeling I got was better than any feeling I had had that day, doing good things for myself - better than anything I've ever done for myself. And it's just one small act of kindness. And it's the same every time I do small acts of kindness for others - it feels better than any great acts of good I do to myself.

And it actually made me realize that my destiny is to become a psychotherapist; I have to help others in order to help myself.

One time I was standing in line in a shopping mall behind an old lady who had a shopping cart full of groceries. All I had to buy was two liters of milk. I was allready, slightly annoyed though, prepared to wait a loooooong time. But then she suddenly said that I could just go in front of her and that made me really happy - a confirmation that there is indeed goodness in this world.

·
Registered
751 Posts
When people do random acts of kindness for me, I feel rather quite embarassed though better all the same.

I think I might be a bit of a douche though, I rarely do random acts of kindness (really all I do is hold the door open for work colleagues.) I force myself to do so in a way because otherwise I worry that I am interfereing with people or pressing people into doing things (that also includes giving up my seat for an elderly person on the bus!)

Does anyone have any tips to be a bit more spontaneous in this respect?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've been given a lift to a train station by a stranger when she was picking up a pizza. I'd just moved to a new city and was still getting used to the bus system (in other words, lost) so it was really uplifting having someone help me like that.

I can't remember many more instances off the top of my head, but I do have a few tales of reciprocal acts of kindness.

A few months ago a dog approached me in the street as I was walking to the bus stop. I rang the number on her collar and the owner eventually showed up, but I'd already missed my bus and was late for my painting class. As I was walking to the next suburb which had more bus connections he drove past because he was taking her to the beach and he gave me a lift to college.

Somewhat stupid accepting lifts... but I'd say I posses a very accurate creep-radar and I'll generally trust someone if they don't set it off.

A similar thing happened again more recently. I used my jacket as a leash and walked a dog about a kilometre back to my house after her owners didn't answer the phone. When they finally called back they said they were at a party just 40 minutes away and wanted to stay for a few more hours. I fed and looked after her from 6pm to 11pm :angry:... I was feeling very peeved and used until they presented a box of chocolates as a thank you gift. Chocolate is my currency.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
You guys have had really nice stuff happen to you and you all did something as well. :D

Not much has never happened to me, not many people like me here.
Though when I go out from my area, Like to London or southend, Lots of people do small things for me with politeness, Like holding the door open and letting me go first but then I just feel all awkward and panicking and try refusing or just say "Thank you" in a quiet voice.

I'm shy but a lot of people mistake it for being rude. >.<

Also I had a group of friends back in school, I got picked on a lot cause I looked different and my friends would just stand there quietly and watch but one of them just got real mad and thrashed out on the person picking on me and kept protecting me since. He tried teaching me how to stand up for myself. Got him to take the test and he got INTJ. :tongue:

I try to do things to help but am useless at it most of the time though I still do small things all the time, Sharing, putting others before myself, considering others around me and being polite and stuff.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I was a foreign exchange student in Japan, I was supposed to take a ferry, and then walk to the airport to get home. I followed my instructions, but got lost anyway. A couple found me wandering around and offered me a lift to the airport.

Just yesterday, a friend was watching my kids at my house while I went somewhere. I had to leave in a rush, and left the house a mess. I came home to a clean house! That was unexpected, but made me so happy!

As for tooting my own horn, um, yeah, I do stuff sometimes. Actually, I would do anything for people, if I knew what to do. One time, I got the feeling to call a pregnant friend of mine and found out she was especially sick. She had one kindergartener and two younger children. I found out she was craving orange juice, so my daughter and I brought her some, visited with her a bit, my daughter played with her kids while I cleaned her kitchen. For some reason, it is SO much easier to clean someone else's house than my own...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When people do random acts of kindness for me, I feel rather quite embarassed though better all the same.

I think I might be a bit of a douche though, I rarely do random acts of kindness (really all I do is hold the door open for work colleagues.) I force myself to do so in a way because otherwise I worry that I am interfereing with people or pressing people into doing things (that also includes giving up my seat for an elderly person on the bus!)

Does anyone have any tips to be a bit more spontaneous in this respect?
I actually completely understand what you are saying. I have felt afraid to do something thinking maybe someone might get annoyed with me and It has happened. I've held a door for a man and he acted annoyed or someone acted uncomfortable if I let them go first in line because I had more in my cart. Usually though people act so surprized and happy and even if they don't at the time I know there is always a chance they went home and felt a warmth in their heart about it. I feel like it's worth the risk because of the sheer amount of good I've seen it do. In my town over the last five years I've actually seen a difference in at least four people. I smile and say hi if I know them at all. I've got some looks like they think I'm stupid but I generally get a good response. Well there are two people who always looked at me like I was a moron and because it's my habit to be friendly I just kept on smiling and saying hi when I'd see them, when they ignored me or even looked at me in a grouchy way I'd think why do I always do that, it always makes me feel so low when they respond that way. But then I'd find myself doing it the next time. They have both changed. They both smile now, genuinely. Another lady asked me one day "what are you laughing at"? I explained I wasn't laughing I just smile alot, I said I was sorry she thought I was laughing at her and she always looks extremely happy to see my now when ever we meet. I think sometimes people think you are being smug, when they figure out I'm sincere they feel good about it. I taught another friend to hug. She grew-up in a very unaffectionate family and when I'd hug her she'd always tense up. After about seven years, she came over to my house one day and said, "I just came over because I need a hug".
You could say it's a gamble but the odds are in your favor. On the other hand maybe it's always winning because at least you did a good thing even if it's rejected or scoffed at.
I think your a pretty good guy because you care:happy:

·
Registered
455 Posts
I've been waiting for a very long time for someone to open this topic, and it happened. yay! :)
I do small stuff like help someone carry things or give someone else my seat or if a car needs a push...
As for other people doing things for me: I am usually very uncomfortable outside of my home but I try to not let it show so whenever someone smiles at me or gives me an encouraging look on a bad day I feel very grateful (there are other things too but these are the ones I remember best).

For everyone who posted: Thanks again ! you are wonderful people even those of you who did small stuff.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I noticed that amazing things can happen when you just give people an honest smile. I think there are a lot of lonely people, and simply smiling at them can make their day! Some people get very excited, some surprised, some even really grateful just for a simple smile (especially older people). I always feel so good when I get people to feel that way :)

·
Registered
365 Posts
My friend is incredible when it comes to random acts of kindness. This one time, he was walking home from work when he saw an ambulance stopped at an intersection. He ran up to it, poked his head into view of the window, and thanked the workers inside for what they do for the rest of us. Then he ran away. (I wasn't there, but he admitted it to me whilst under the influence.)

I work at this cute little coffee shop, and so many customers are just unbelievably sweet - it's actually restored some of my faith in humanity. One customer makes sure that this big glass vase on the counter is always full of fresh, beautiful roses from his garden (it was his idea, he just likes other people enjoying his flowers). A bunch of customers will bring us delicious food - cupcakes, grape leaves, some sort of pasta - which just always brightens up my day because there is really no reason for them to do it besides being awesome. Then, we've been instructed to give this one man free coffee whenever he comes in, because he helped the owners get the shop off the ground.

It's gotten me consciously trying to be less selfish, and more giving, because I could really stand to do that. I can't remember too many other random acts of kindness, but I'm sure they've happened. I was watching What Would You Do? the other day, which, while not a perfect show, DID make me tear up almost every time they did an experiment and someone would stand up for someone else. That's the kindest thing I think you can do for a person - forget that you could walk away and say 'it wasn't my business,' and insert yourself in the situation and stand up for someone who might not be able to do it themselves. Take responsibility when none is required or asked of you. Just watching that show made me want to be a much better person than I am.

·
Registered
615 Posts
My dad's friend remembered me, and missed me. He prepared a lot of great food, and taught us tips for life. It was wonderful, and I'll never forget that day.
I don't know the boundary between "random act of kindness" and "What are you doing?".
I have often felt the urge to help out, but I'm scared they would be distrustful of me, and it wouldn't end up the way I'd like it to.
But if there is a greater chance of making the subject of my thoughts happy, I'll try to do it.
But as of now I only do silly little stuff. ...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It makes me happy reading through these and you know I don't think there are small things, I think Fairy is right even a smile can mean the world. Talking to you guys about this has meant alot to me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts