Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you look back over your life, do you see any “turning points”; that is, a key event or experience that changed over the course of your life or set you on a different track?

How did you meet your significant other?

What's the best and worst parts about getting older?

What was the best live performance you've witnessed?

What's opinion did you once hold and saw yourself never giving up, but eventually did?

Alternatively, what's something that's remained as true enough for you through the test of time?

·
MOTM June 2015
4,378 Posts
As you look back over your life, do you see any “turning points”; that is, a key event or experience that changed over the course of your life or set you on a different track?
  • When I was a teenager I was very against the idea of ever marrying. I stayed single until the ripe old age of 20. My husband and I will celebrate 33 years of marriage next month.
  • Since I didn't plan to marry I didn't plan on having any children. I ended up having two who are now in their 20's. Although I was married for many years before I reached the point that I wanted children. Had my first child right before our 8th anniversary. The 2nd one came 2/12 years later.
Originally I planned on living a single childless life with a focus on career. I had no desire to have a husband and children. Certainly never thought I would end up being a stay at home mom/wife. However, that is exactly what I ended up doing. So I'd say my life ended up quite a bit different than I envisioned.
At church.
  • Worst... I'm going to sound a bit vain, but one of the worst parts is looking old and feeling unattractive. You look in the mirror and don't like what you see. You color your hair to hide the gray, put on wrinkle smoothing ointments, battle the bulge at the gym, but no matter what you can't turn back the hands of time. You also begin to notice pains here and there that you never had before. I've always been a high energy person and although I can still outlast many, my endurance is not what it once was.
  • Best... There are many pluses, for one I no longer worry as much about what everybody else thinks or says. I still care, but I've reached the point that I realize some can never be pleased and it's not worth losing your self trying to do so. There is more but I'll leave it at this.
  • Best and worse... my kids have grown up.

I haven't been to very many live performances. Of those I've been to I would have to say that REO Speedwagon/Survivor was my favorite. Followed closely by Alabama.
What's opinion did you once hold and saw yourself never giving up, but eventually did?
Nothing comes immediately to mind, but I'm sure there are many. Mostly I've noticed that I'm much more willing to listen to other peoples opinions and consider what they have to say than I was when younger. (provided of course that they are not disrespectful/hateful/harsh in their presentation)
Alternatively, what's something that's remained as true enough for you through the test of time?
For as long as I can remember I've loathed and despised bullying. Even bullying of those who bring it upon them self.

·
Spam-I-am
13,657 Posts

I haven't , I'm a hard core 5w6 s.p who values private time over humans

best- all your functions equal out
you look back at your youth and wonder how the fuck you survived it
you find all the fears you had as a youngster were all false
worst-body starts falling apart, you are not tough [body wise] as you were
old peeps get crotchety [so I hear]:laughing:

the best? can't pinpoint it but some that come to mind
Stevie rae vaugn, moody blues, blood sweat and tears, The Who, iron butterfly, savoy brown, George carlin
garrison Keller's prairie home companion and his live radio show

not really and yes
when you are young you think you can change the world
as you get older you realize the world changes you

my high/strict morals
I can die a clean death knowing I never caused harm to others
have a clean conscious

·
Chatterbox, MOTM August 2013
10,959 Posts
My cancer at 27. Missed my window to attend law school. Set me off on a different career path - one I would have never otherwise considered, but was rewarding.

Went to the same high school, but our paths never crossed. Later, his best friend moved in downstairs from me (apartment building). The friend kept trying to convince us that we should date. We both laughed it off for a long time. I wasn’t looking for a serious relationship, and had been dating much younger men. Hubby didn't want to ask me out because I smoked. I quit smoking, and then broke up with my boyfriend. Hubby asked me out. We finally went out. BOOM. :wink:

Best: the acquired knowledge. Life gets easier.
Worst: Gravity is a harsh mistress.

It’s not a concert. Kirk Gibson hitting the home run in the first game of the 1988 World Series. Hubby and I were there at the stadium along with my brother and his girl friend. Hubby’s family had season tickets. Dugout level, between the players’ dugouts. Great seats. (The ones you can see in the clip below that are below ground level. )

Everyone in the family was fighting over the tickets for the later games in the series. We quietly said, ”we’ll take Game 1” , just happy to have tickets.

Here is the clip. Crowd went nuts. No one wanted to leave. Great night. Unforgettable. Still gives me goose bumps.

Our tickets:

View attachment 727778
Not opinion, but lifestyle. I always thought that vegertarians were wrong about their dietary choices. Researched and studied it and eventually became vegan about 6 years ago. Much healthier diet. I’m the only person in my circle of friends (I’m 60) who takes no meds, and has no medical issues. Feel better, stronger, and healthier now than I did when I was younger. Wish I would have done it sooner

My progressive bent. Registered to vote the day after I turned 18 - as a democrat. My college major was Economics. I have never met a Republican who could make a cogent argument for their trickle- down, bullshit Voodoo Econ argument. And ... I’ve also always been inclusive and accepting of others, championing for the minority (regardless of how that is defined) . That’ll never change.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I was certain I would always be single and was ok with that. I was living a dirtbag mountain guide/avalanche educator life where I required very little money to do my thing, climb and ski big mountains. Then I met the woman who I've now been married to for 22 years. We were in our mid thirties and I knew I wanted to grow old with her. We've been through hard times but survived them and are more in love and committed to each other than ever before. So it would be meeting her and knowing I wanted to be with her that changed me from a confirmed bachelor to a partner in a relationship. I still climb and ski, it's who I am. But I don't go every time I want to. I earn my precious ski days and lifestyle in the most perfect small city for us to be in. We have great friends and families. Some health problems but at 60 we are better than ever.

An ex-lover introduced us.

The best is that I'm happy and comfortable with who I am. I understand my needs and place a priority on meeting them. I'm content in a way that I could never be when I was younger because I've realized that I am one of the most fortunate people who has ever lived because I live in a time and place where it is possible to climb mountains and ski back down. Having that and having a partner are making me very happy and optimistic about our ability to continue living very active lives for a long time.

The worst is accumulated injuries and health issues that I can't deny are slowing me down somewhat. That and get off my lawn!

What was the best live performance you've witnessed? \
Joni Mitchell with Pat Metheny, Jaco Pastorius, Don Alias, and Wayne Shorter at Red Rocks, 1983

My fear of the police. I had nothing but negative, scary interactions with police my whole life since childhood. Then I met a cop in a kind of meditation course and completely within the context of the course, I learned more about the lives of police officers than I had imagined and came to a new understanding of how cops witness trauma and violence on a frequent but not predictable basis. I learned how traumatic experiences shape our brains and our reactions to unrelated events that might send us into fight or flight behavior under control of our amygdala. I saw this cop as a real person even more damaged than I was and I did what I could to help her as part of my participation in the class. I now have a certain empathy towards cops that is a big change from how I used to be.

Atheism

·
queen of glitter gnomes
10,502 Posts

Well, the first was going to Guatemala in 1987. I learned Spanish, experienced a different culture, and realized that I wasn't as stupid as I thought that I was. A few years later, I discovered that I had learning disabilities and processing disorders, which have plagued me my entire life. The result of living for years with invisible disabilities that affect how you process information is a very serious loss of self-esteem.

The second was the Witness Against War walk in 2008. I walked 500 miles with a group, starting in Chicago and ending in Saint Paul, Minnesota. What I got from that was that I am stronger than I realized. I was always the last kid chosen for a team in the gym class. I met a lot of people on the journey and had the opportunity to listen to their stories. Despite some leg pain and a few blisters, this was a truly wonderful experience, and I would definitely do it again.

The third occurred in 2007. I was seriously ill with pneumonia and didn't think that I would survive. When I did survive, I made the decision to enjoy each day as much as possible and to do my best to be a gift to other people. I am so grateful to be alive.

I didn't. I never planned on being single and I never planned on being childless. I always wanted to be married and have a houseful of kids. It never happened. I am living alone now, and that is the every extrovert's nightmare. Unfortunately, I don't think that I will ever find a significant other.

When I turned 50, I told myself that I had reached the "use it or lose it" age, and I decided to use it, rather than lose it. So far, so good. Hence, the Witness Against War walk in 2008 and the Walk for a Nuclear Free Future in 2010 and other walks and adventures. I feel good, healthy, and strong at the age of 61.

The worst part of getting older is being fairly sure that there will be no significant other in my life, no grandchildren, and that I am probably doomed to a life of aloneness. Another really painful part of getting older is losing parents. It hurt so much to lose my dad. I actually blamed myself for his death and I shut down emotionally. Watching my mom develop Alzheimers has been nightmarish. She used to teach at the university level and, now, she can barely string her thoughts together. It is truly heartbreaking. I can't fix it. I feel completely helpless in the face of this horrible nemesis that is named Alzheimers.

It was a performance by a group called the Waverly Consort. It was a Christmas concert and the music was so beautiful. It's an early music group. They have the most gorgeous voices.

What opinion did you once hold and saw yourself never giving up, but eventually did?

That beans tasted like sand. I wouldn't eat them. Now I love beans! Also, I thought that beets were bad and evil and now I think that they are delicious!

My overactive imagination! It's the gift that just keeps on giving!!!

Thank you for these questions! They are much appreciated!

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
The Vietnam War seemed to get everyone’s attention. The good news is that the GI Bill paid for college and a degree meant much better jobs. That meant my kids lived better lives and had promising futures. It all worked out.

Now, in retirement, I wonder where the time went.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts