Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're looking to kill time or talk about yourselves, I'd love to hear some (serious or sarcastic) answers about your thoughts/experiences!

1. Would you consider yourself a good manipulator?
  2. Why argue so much? Is there a point or do you just like riling people up?
  3. Do you ever say things just to see how people will react? If so, why?
  4. Were you ever bullied? Been the bully?
  5. Do you often experience jealousy from partners/lovers? Do you think it's justified?
  6. If you could eliminate one stereotype about ENTPs, what would it be?
  7. Finally, describe your closest friends for me. What type are they and what's your relationship like with them?

·
Registered
966 Posts
1. Yes, absolutely. Because I make sure when I do it, I do it FOR the other person. It doesn't come off as self serving, so nobody has any reason to think I'm doing it.

2. A couple of reasons. One, I like to show my dominance...I like people to know that they can't just say anything to me and expect me to roll over and take it. Two, I do it because I like to learn more about other people and their perspectives. I get to learn more about them, but also I get to possibly gain new knowledge or a new perspective I hadn't noticed before.

3. Yes, but not often. I do this more when I don't know the person very well...I want to test them a little bit, in a bunch of different ways.

4. No, never been bullied. There was one kid in middle school who hated me for some reason, and he spit in my face, so I spit back in his face and I threw him into the locker, and he never messed with me again. Then we found out we had the same friends anyway, and he tried to tell his friends "don't talk to that kid, he's a loser" and nobody listened to him, so it was over. We never became friends, but we were cool. I had no issue with the guy from the start anyway. I've never bullied anyone either...I think putting people down or actively hurting people who you view as beneath you is just weakness. Sometimes I even defended people.

5. Yes I do...quite a bit actually. I'm jealous like an Italian. I've thought about this a lot and it has to do with control...I'm not needy and controlling in a relationship, but I also recognize that part of being with someone is about control on some level, and if someone challenges that control and has the ability to take it away from you, that's hard for me to deal with. I know this stems from lack of confidence on my part, but it just sucks to see that someone can be better than you when it comes to your woman. That your woman can possibly see something in that guy that YOU'RE not giving her...that eats me up inside. Do I think it's justified? Yes, I think I just did justify it.

6. Hmm...this is a tough one. Maybe the fact that we're lazy I guess. I mean I'm lazy myself, but I don't need other people reading about that hahaha. EVerything else about ENTPs I think is a proud characteristic to have.

7. I only have one best friend. I met him in 4th grade, 17 years ago. Now he's married with 4 kids. I think he's an ISTP or an ISFP...not really sure. We've never been on the same wavelength as far as deep conversations and whatnot, but we've always loved hanging out with each other, and we've known each other for so long. I have his back and he has mine. In fact, he's one of the guys I was talking about when I say that I defended people who got bullied. He used to get bullied a lot...I lost a lot of friends for that dude. Plus we complement each other. He's a mechanic so I always go to him for car questions and car troubles, and he's not as self aware as I am, so he comes to me for personal advice and stuff.

Well that was fun. TC, what type are you?

·
Registered
251 Posts
1.) Yes, I like to manipulate my environment to suit myself whether objects or people. With people though, I have an ethic about it.

2.) Arguing for me is for fact checking my ideas. I like to bounce my ideas off others to get their inputs and build a bigger picture. Sometimes an argument can settle disputes rather than cause them. I'm not normally trying to rile someone up with my arguments, but if I am, it will work.

3.) Yes, because it's entertaining. Or because I want to test out an idea and observe the response.

4.) Yes and yes. It happens.

5.) Yes and no. Sometimes it's justified sometimes it's not.

6.) We eat more than chicken and waffles.

7.) I never really typed my close friends. But my relationships with them are warm when we are together but not very communicative between hang outs. Mostly my fault; I'm not very responsive through texting.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Would you consider yourself a good manipulator?
Yes but doesn't everybody manipulate? I do tend to more go with the flow then manipulate a lot of the time. It's fun o adapt on the spot.

Why argue so much? Is there a point or do you just like riling people up?
Sometimes I don't even realize i'm doing it. I'm just throwing out everything going through my head. For me to find the answer to something I usually approach it from multiple different angles, so sometimes it's to get a better idea what the truth is. Sometimes there isn't a universal truth to something too. There might be multiple answers to the same problem. I like to try to figure out what all of those are just because the most immediate one I find might not be the best one. Other times its to weed out the horrible ideas. Other times its to get a bigger picture on what someone else thinks. Other times it's to break people out of thinking they only have 2 options. So I guess it's to get the bigger picture on everything.

Do you ever say things just to see how people will react? If so, why?
Yes. Human behavior has always interested me but also because it gives me a better idea of who that person is. I like knowing where my boundaries are at with people because it makes it easier to adapt. A lot of people spout the Golden Rule, but i can say that not everyone actually wants to be treated the same way i want to be treated. A lot of people seem to have much stronger sensitivities than I have but i don't really know where they are at. My intention isn't necessarily to rile them up either. I might of just thought it was a funny joke and then oops, I guess they didnt find it that funny.

Were you ever bullied? Been the bully?
When i was really little i was bullied but not for very long. I made friends pretty easily. I haven't been the bully. At least never on purpose. I typically stood up for others. However, i cant say i remember my childhood very well and always wonder if bullies actually know they are bullies. Doesn't everyone want to see themselves in the best possible light? I guess i just don't trust my memory but i'm not usually someone who would wish someone else ill will or look down on someone for being different. I was pretty bratty to bossy people tho.

Do you often experience jealousy from partners/lovers? Do you think it's justified?
Nope. I think jealousy is a very ugly emotion to deal with. I hate all things controlling, and jealousy seems like the other side to the same coin. I don't pick partners that try to make me jealous, or that get easily jealous. I rather have someone who's secure in them self and our relationship. I figure if we don't trust each other what's the point? Might as well be in a car without gas. We won't be going anywhere. It's just way less drama not having to deal with it and life should be fun, not miserable.

If you could eliminate one stereotype about ENTPs, what would it be? I guess if i have to chose something, that we harm others to get our way. There's been a lot of people saying "I'm a sociopath! It's fine because it's just my personality, I'm an ENTP after all..."

Finally, describe your closest friends for me. What type are they and what's your relationship like with them?
I have 5 closest friends. Ohh my this mgiht get long:

1) INTP, We tend to agree on most things and have fun mocking conversions about everything. We've know each other the longest ~20 years. We play games all the time together. When everyone else thought he was the biggest asshole on earth i thought he was fine and couldn't understand why they were taking everything he said so personally. He backs up my ideas and good luck to anyone winning an argument when are both in the same room. Also he's been my cousin since we were both 5. Same age.
2)ENFP is the next one. I've known her for 15 years? It's been on and off because she just jumps up and moves all over the planet. Very fun person to talk to and we both drag each other out of the house to try new things all the time.
3)I met yet another ENFP in college who was my roommate (4 years). She doesn't move that much so i started going on adventures with her after the other ENFP moved away. I had the 2 ENFPs meet and they got along really well so now it's all three of us trying all the thing.
4) ESTJ. Also 4 years. We tried living together once and we decided we can't do that without it becoming battle royal. She's very good at getting stuff done and is prone to silly theories about conspiracies and ghosts and magic. haha. She's fun but more serious and intense. She talks to me to get ideas and i talk to her to figure out how to get stuff done. She lives very far away now so we don't see each other all that much anymore.
5) INFJ. Only known her for 6 months. We worked together and we would not stop talking. We discussed anything and everything but usually books, theories, and etc. It was a blast. Easily someone i had the best teamwork experience with. Anyways we talk/hang out only about once a week because we found out that its very easy for us to lose track of time when we are around each other. The plan to only hang out for a set amount of time, that she had, easily becomes 2xs or 3xs longer than expected before we even realize it...or maybe we just don't care.
I've corrupted them all into looking into personality theory so they typed themselves. Well everyone but the INFJ who was studying it for much longer than i have.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
If you're looking to kill time or talk about yourselves, I'd love to hear some (serious or sarcastic) answers about your thoughts/experiences!

Yep.
Fun. Its how we like to learn best. Actually it is how we learn best, not just a like.
Doesn't everyone? Im being serious. Every person does this.
Nope. Nope.
Do you often experience jealousy from partners/lovers? Do you think it's justified?
Its happened. The onus of justification falls squarely on their head.
If you could eliminate one stereotype about ENTPs, what would it be?
That we don't like organized list. That is wrong. We HATE organized list.
Finally, describe your closest friends for me. What type are they and what's your relationship like with them?
INTJ/ESTP. They are just right and just horrible all at the same time. Suits me well.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts

Absolutely not. I'm more likely to be manipulated than actually manipulate someone. In fact, I just got out of a relationship with a manipulative, psychologically abusive partner. I don't consider manipulation to be a useful skill to have anyway. It's much better, and easier to just be upfront and transparent.

But I never think I'm arguing tho xD I'm just having a spirited debate or a stimulating discussion. But then I end up stepping on some toes here and there. There's not really a purpose to it other than it being a good exercise to stimulate the little grey cells. It's also a communication style.

Usually, no, I don't. I do sometimes say things to get a particular reaction from someone.

I was bullied by my classmates when I was younger. I was also in a bad relationship. I try my best to make sure that I'm not the bully, even in situations where I have power over the other person.

Sometimes yes. Jealousy is never justified but I can understand where it comes from and tolerate it to an extent.

That we don't give a care about people's feelings. At least in my case, hurting other people is something I'd never do. I'd also never purposefully hurt someone even if it is convenient for me. In the end, I do want harmonious relationships. I'm not sure others are like this, but I am and I know a few others who are.

INTP - closest guy friend. We just click for some reason. We never fight. I enjoy his company all the time.
ESFP - second best guy friend. I don't usually get along well with ESFPs but he's the exception.
ENFJ - best female friend. Love her to death. She might as well be my sister. She can be overdramatic tho.
ISFP - Childhood friend. I have fond memories of hanging out with her. We are neighbors and our moms are friends too.
INFP - Best online friend. He's just always there for me and makes time for me even when he's busy. @AAADD Pumpkin Rupsje (yes you)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

5. Do you often experience jealousy from partners/lovers? Do you think it's justified?
  7. Finally, describe your closest friends for me. What type are they and what's your relationship like with them?
1. If I want to be, but I rarely want to be. I would only endeavor to manipulate someone who I felt deserved it for some negative reason: They're selfish, mean, manipulative themselves, etc. And even then, I usually just distance myself and opt to take the high road. I have to be pretty put off by someone to do that.

2. Because it's fun. I do like riling people up. I like to see what they are passionate about. Also, in conversations where there is a lot of gray area (like politics, philosophy), I like to see how close we can get to a "real" answer by putting the opposing viewpoints against each other.

3. Yes. Because I am not emotive and I like to see how normal people react to stimuli. ;)

4. I have been the bully. But in far many more cases, I have been bullied.

5. I don't think I've ever had a jealous SO. That's most likely because jealous people tend to be needy and I am very turned off by needy people. My husband has never been jealous and lately has been largely disinterested in me. I feel he should be more jealous and more interested because there are frequently other men interested in me.

6. The stereotype that we're trolls. I'll admit to being impish, but I don't go out of my way to anger anyone or make them feel inferior.

7. My closest friends are usually INF_ women. They are able to have close and intimate relationships. When I am with those friends, I feel like we have our own language, our own world, inside jokes, and it's special. But then I also need my extroverted female friends (a good chunk are ESFJ). We usually have outings in large groups. They aren't as close and I reserve parts of myself in their presence, but we have a lot of fun. We blow off steam together. I need both in my life.

Reactions: Bumfuzzle

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
1. No, I let that to the Js. It's their specialty after all. Manipulating their environment. How could I be driven to do that?
2. I don't argue, I inform and then people think they can argue against it.
3. No.

Do you realize how stupid those stereotypes are? What kind of idiot acts pointlessly and without understanding (hence anticipating) their environment? What kind of stupid argues for its own sake, like a zombie, or needs to make people mad in order to get themselves an idea of their reactions? Or to start F-dramas? How are F-dramas not draining for an ENTP? Do you expect an ENTP to be that kind of idiot? Do you expect ENTPs to lack imagination? To be addicted to intense feelings? Think.

4. Yes, and no.
5. No.
6. I would start with all the stereotypes you suggested.
7. They're NPs, drama free, just people I like to talk with and share ideas and outlooks.

·
Banned
8,873 Posts
- Pure seriousness

- Yes if i want to. But too lazy for that xD
    - Because some entps lacks sex. If their dicks has been dipped to a soft moist pussy they'll stop arguing.
    - Sometimes. But usually i just say normal stuffs that people just reacts to
    - Been bullied and have bullied someone
    - Yes ofcourse fuck. Seriously. You have a heart, capable of emotions. Everyone experience love unless you're ugly as fuck xD
    - that entps loves to argue. Entps are cool. Entps are nerd. You're not an entp if...
    - I have lots of friends. But my closest one is INTp. Fuck i don't know if its intp or istp lol xD probably intp Yeah intp. Or maybe istp nooo. Intp. XD I'm also friends with enfjs two close enfj friends and one online actually oh it's two now. I don't know why i attract enfjs. They actually are the ones who befriend me. Oh. No doubt about it, I'm cool. XD and then.. Hmmm. yeah those are my closest friends i guess
    Because i don't know enfjs are very accepting of me xD and they find me funny too lol xD and eventhough I'm not in my "cool" mode they still stick as a friend
    I also had estp friend before he's awesome. Like it's always fun to be with him. What else. Yes. I also got one girl intp friend. Seriously those guys love the way i am. Seriously. XD they think I'm cool how was that lol xD
    I always feel like I'm a dumb pile of shit xD

·
Registered
189 Posts
I suppose so. It's more being a control freak sometimes that gets my "manipulator" side.

Arguing is how I maintain sanity. Whether I agree with the point I make or not, I will argue until I die. I like to make people think. It's not just to get people worked up emotionally, but more mentally than anything. I want to know why they think a certain way and arguing is the best bet.

All the time. I don't know why I do it. I like to study people's reactions.

Well, considering I'm an Asian in America, yeah, I've been bullied. I've also bullied before, yeah. I'm an asshole. But I find myself bullying myself more than anyone else.

Not often. A few times, I guess, but I tend to steer away from clingy/controlling people who let their emotions take over their every action. Whether it's justified, that's not something I want to get into. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. It really just depends on the situation, I think.

That we don't have emotions. That we're cold-hearted. Kinda tired of being told that I'm soulless just because I react certain ways and make certain jokes about certain things.

7. Finally, describe your closest friends for me. What type are they are what's your relationship like with them?
This is in no particular order.
1. Male ENFP. We have a close relationship. Been friends with him for about 10(?) months now. No, that's not a long time, but I've never been good at keeping steady friends.
2. Male ENFP. I'm not too sure about this typing, but it's the best I can do for now. He's only 14 so it's kinda hard to tell. He seems very Ne dominant, and he's not too big on learning new things, rather than doing things that seem fun to him. Hence, why I type him ENFP. Every time I try to get him to take the test, it gives us a different result, so I'm going off my gut-feeling.
3. Female INTJ. She's great. I've been friends with her for only 5 months now, but we've kinda hit it off pretty well. The beginning was a bit rocky, but I'd consider her a good friend now.
4. Female INFP. We don't agree on a lot of things most of the time, but we both know that we'll always be there for each other if we need it.
5. Female INFP/INFJ. I can't type her very well. Some days she seems INFP, other days she seems INFJ. We have...a complicated relationship, but she's still one of my favorite people.
6. Male ENFP. Love this guy. We've written a few songs together as we are both very musically talented. We like to talk life and just be who we are around each other.
7. Female ESFJ. This one's my sister. Very artistic. Kinda selfish though. We get along just because we feel comfortable being who we are around each other. We both feel as if society likes to hold people back.

Mind if I suggest one extra question you could add to this? It's something I'm curious about myself and never really get around to asking people.
"If you could be any other MBTI type, what would it be and why?"
I guess it's really just an experimental question. Personally, I'd go ENFP or INTP. I couldn't stand to be an S type. Being an ENTP, I can automatically fit into the INTP category. Being ENFP, I think, would just make me, I guess, a more morally and emotionally stable person. Or maybe not. Depends.

Reactions: Bumfuzzle

·
Registered
84 Posts
Consciously, I don't try to do it. I've seen how 'puppeteering' can be damaging.,, but I'm aware that I controlled the flow of the conversation and choose my words to get something constructive out of the other person. I'd like to know their true perspective and empower them to share that bit of information. If we're talking about a topic, I justify my own to convince them until they can convince me.

I don't like aggression. I'd like to see their point of view. I'd like poke at the concept/topic at every corner to get a clearer view - maybe connect it in a big-picture way. I ask more and more questions. To me, it's exploring. To some, it's interrogation.

I do, a lot. I have a dark sense of humour, sometimes it hits them. It just adds colour to my day. Sometimes I do it to see how far their limit is, if they have any depth their hiding from me. Human behaviour is something I'm very interested in, so I do all sorts of observations when I'm curious. I try to not offend them and respect their boundaries though - that takes a bit of insight.

Yes. I pride myself in finally standing up to them when my cousin was bullied though. Since then, I would never let anyone trample someone by fear, and impede their potential. Everyone deserve to discover their potential. I thrive to empower people to become competent, develop independence and character. My worst fear is to be trapped, to be robbed off personal growth - so I wish to save people from that fate too.

I suppose that depends on experience. I promised myself to love later when I'm emotionally matured - but I do get jealous often before. I did get a lot of interests, and some were low-key jealous. I made sure someone I commit to gives me independence and trust me.

That we're forever an emotional retard. I used to be, but I threw myself in the deep-end to develop a good sense of emotional handling. It's natural. It is also a powerful tool to empower yourself and others, if you channel it right. It's part of the human experience. I do get annoyed when I'm in a space full of drama and too much emotional power keeps me from having a clear head. Still..

I dont know what their types are. A lot of my friends are intellects. I bond well with those who are intuitive, and open to discussing things within reason without much emotional baggage. Those who are very close to me often have a mix of intellect with an emotional spin and drive to create something, whatever their trades are. I love projects.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Consciously, I don't try to do it. I've seen how 'puppeteering' can be damaging.,, but I'm aware that I controlled the flow of the conversation and choose my words to get something constructive out of the other person. I'd like to know their true perspective and empower them to share that bit of information. If we're talking about a topic, I justify my own to convince them until they can convince me.

I don't like aggression. I'd like to see their point of view. I'd like poke at the concept/topic at every corner to get a clearer view - maybe connect it in a big-picture way. I ask more and more questions. To me, it's exploring. To some, it's interrogation.

I do, a lot. I have a dark sense of humour, sometimes it hits them. It just adds colour to my day. Sometimes I do it to see how far their limit is, if they have any depth their hiding from me. Human behaviour is something I'm very interested in, so I do all sorts of observations when I'm curious. I try to not offend them and respect their boundaries though - that takes a bit of insight.

Yes. I pride myself in finally standing up to them when my cousin was bullied though. Since then, I would never let anyone trample someone by fear, and impede their potential. Everyone deserve to discover their potential. I thrive to empower people to become competent, develop independence and character. My worst fear is to be trapped, to be robbed off personal growth - so I wish to save people from that fate too.

I suppose that depends on experience. I promised myself to love later when I'm emotionally matured - but I do get jealous often before. I did get a lot of interests, and some were low-key jealous. I made sure someone I commit to gives me independence and trust me.

That we're forever an emotional retard. I used to be, but I threw myself in the deep-end to develop a good sense of emotional handling. It's natural. It is also a powerful tool to empower yourself and others, if you channel it right. It's part of the human experience. I do get annoyed when I'm in a space full of drama and too much emotional power keeps me from having a clear head. Still..

I dont know what their types are. A lot of my friends are intellects. I bond well with those who are intuitive, and open to discussing things within reason without much emotional baggage. Those who are very close to me often have a mix of intellect with an emotional spin and drive to create something, whatever their trades are. I love projects.

·
Banned
4,281 Posts
@desire machine

Right click the reply or edit or whatever and "open in new tab(or window)"
edit...reply or whateves. Then refresh.

I know it sux but it works.

EDIT: When you hit post it brings you to an EDIT
window.
Dont re-post it. It went through.
Use your initial open window to verify.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Mind if I suggest one extra question you could add to this? It's something I'm curious about myself and never really get around to asking people.
Will add it in as soon as I'm capable of editing my post!

EDIT: I don't think I'm allowed to edit the original post. </3

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you realize how stupid those stereotypes are? What kind of idiot acts pointlessly and without understanding (hence anticipating) their environment? What kind of stupid argues for its own sake, like a zombie, or needs to make people mad in order to get themselves an idea of their reactions? Or to start F-dramas? How are F-dramas not draining for an ENTP? Do you expect an ENTP to be that kind of idiot? Do you expect ENTPs to lack imagination? To be addicted to intense feelings? Think.
Perhaps because, if you have a bit of a read, there are people out there who argue or say things knowing that (or testing whether) it's going to get a reaction. Not because they're addicted to intense feelings. Not because they're looking to start drama. Anyone who does engage in such behaviours has explained why, which was all I was asking. If such questions don't apply to you then so be it, move on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. Sometimes, and I'm getting better. Typically I don't like to think of it as manipulation, more encourgement. I don't like to be negative about it, and don't want to hurt people.

2. Arguing is fun. It's discussion and banter and entertaining. Stale conversation can be soooo boring.

3. Yep, all the time. I like to push boundaries, it's a way for me to get to know people better, and gauge the intimacy of our relationship.

4. Sure. It's tough for me to imagine anyone who hasn't on some level.

5. It's usually justified because people love me. Everyone else should be jealous. Seriously though I could not be with someone who is randomly and insanely jealous over nothing. That's just emotional insecurity.

6. The trolling/malicious thing. The idea that we are all just trying to hurt people. Personally I very rarely want to hurt you, really only if you are an asshole and have pissed me off. I do tend to hurt people accidentally though.

7. I haven't really typed most of my friends. They are typically I's, and I bring out the crazy side of them.

My sister is an ENTP and we are super close. It's an amazing relationship since, being siblings, there is zero sexual tension. We could spend all day everyday together.

Would love to meet another ENTP woman, but although the chemistry would be fantastic, I'm pretty sure we would end up living in a van down by the river.

I have 2 or 3 INFJ women in my life. The connection is amazing, but any conflict can be hard to deal with.

I have a female friend that I think is an INFP (although she thinks she's an INFJ). We got along good most of the time, but she did have that "supervisory" thing that's talked about and it made me CRAZY.

Extroverts are tricky. If we do click it's amazing, but usually burns itself out pretty quickly.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts