Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the "Decision Points" interview tonight and I must say that George W Bush's interview with Matt Lauer was admirable. It truly takes a lot of guts for anyone to have a job that is in the public eye because it is subject to a lot of criticism with little reward. Unfortunately we live in a society where people would rather criticize than respect.
Then we wonder why our kids act the way they do.... I digress. This society of the US would rather be disrespectful hypocrites. Why can't we ever just say "Wow, it took this ONE person a lot of guts to have one of the most difficult jobs you could have in this world. We should admire them for stepping up to take that huge risk and doing more than what most of us will ever achieve in our lives."

What has happened to respect and admiration in this world? Instead all we do is point fingers at one another and criticize. Honestly, I don't think its getting any better for future generations either.

Do other people see this or am I shooting in the dark?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I watched the "Decision Points" interview tonight and I must say that George W Bush's interview with Matt Lauer was admirable. It truly takes a lot of guts for anyone to have a job that is in the public eye because it is subject to a lot of criticism with little reward. Unfortunately we live in a society where people would rather criticize than respect.
Then we wonder why our kids act the way they do.... I digress. This society of the US would rather be disrespectful hypocrites. Why can't we ever just say "Wow, it took this ONE person a lot of guts to have one of the most difficult jobs you could have in this world. We should admire them for stepping up to take that huge risk and doing more than what most of us will ever achieve in our lives."

What has happened to respect and admiration in this world? Instead all we do is point fingers at one another and criticize. Honestly, I don't think its getting any better for future generations either.

I saw the interview too.

I would not have watched it except for the fact that my grandmother wanted to see it.

I don't particularly trust politicians, so I'm not sure that I would be able to read Bush's book without thinking that some of what he writes isn't the entire truth.

Anyone who is in the public eye has to be prepared for criticisim. These people are not even granted the same rights as "private persons" in America.

But yes, I get annoyed with how naive people can be when it comes to politics. I live in the South, and I cannot possibly convince anyone here that Obama is not a Muslim. It seems like nobody I know READS anything except me. They just go by word of mouth.

Political campaigns are nothing more than childish mud slinging, and I don't even trust that all of the mud slinging is true. Then they will give speechs and only a fairly small number of people even watch them, but I can't trust them to tell the truth during that either. They will say what they think they need to say to get elected. I have a friend who is REALLY into politics, and he says that you have to research the way that the politicians vote on issues. You can't just go by what they say. For me, this makes everything I hear about them from the media pointless.

So, do I agree with you that we should respect them? No. I don't think most of them have earned it. I must admit though that I like Obama's idea about Democrates and Republicans working together on issues, which I would like to think is not just said for the sake of the cameras, but who knows?

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
In order to receive respect, one needs to have it within theirself and then give it.

As for politics, it is very hard...being that money talks, walks and all that jazz.

As for Obama...he has no choice but to try and work with Republicans now.

There is too much to say here...me and politics have issues...politics irritates me...the world is screwed up politically speaking!

As for US society being disrespectful hypocrites, I believe that the US society is just weary in how the US government opperates and where the US government is going.

Darn, I just couldn't stop myself! I'm going to now!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What hit me during that interview was when George W made a comment about how no matter what he does, there is always going to be a critic... and I laughed when Matt Lauer made the comment immediately after that he could lose his job just because someone doesn't like his reporting.
The part that hit me after that is that... what are we indirectly teaching our kids and future by being critical of those in authority? We are teaching them to not respect authority. So then we wonder why get kids in detentions, in school suspensions, and go to alternative school... but even then rather than the parents say "yes my child deserved this because they always disrupted class" the parent then questions it and complains to the school. Then what does that indirectly teach the kid? To argue with their teachers and principal and continue to be disruptive.

Nobody has any respect for anyone anymore... it is sad and what we our teaching our future is only going to make the future worse.

Does doing so give us ourselves dignity and admiration? I don't see how it would.

Soon we'll be getting text messages via Fox News and MSNBC criticizing our leaders to put even more thoughts in our mind (whether true or not)... in fact, I'm sure some people already have that.

The one line that George W Bush made that I found VERY admirable was when he said "I'm not going to criticize my successor (President Obama) because he has enough people critiquing him, so I'm not going to be one of them."

·
Banned
1,794 Posts
I agree that it takes a lot of guts for a person to stand up and take charge. However, I also believe that some who do take charge allow their own personal values and beliefs to cloud their judgement. For example when Bush pretty much said that God told him to invade Iraq...

I can imagine that it must be difficult to please everyone, you do one thing and you are criticised and then you think if I had done it the other way I would have been criticised for that too.

·
Registered
240 Posts
as weird as this is going to sound, while Bush was president I was utterly in love with him. And I still am. he has morals. he is strong amidst a world full of weak men who are all too willing to accommodate to the world. Bush did what he did and he did it for his own reasons, maybe its a backwards way to look at it but he has a strength of character and took HEAVY criticism from all sides. He is an OPEN christian is against abortion and attended christian gatherings. Im not even a christian and I value that, I loved listening to him speak because even in the way he carries his words, there is strength and THAT is my weakness, hahaha a strong man. And I agree with OP, there is very little respect going around. I am sometimes repulsed by the complete lack of moral consciousness in our society. I think that is the way of the world though. we go through an overly moral and religious phase and then the boundaries are pushed in the next generation and then eventually we bounce back because we grow tired of the lack of boundaries.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Any position of authority should be held accountable for their actions but do we see that done to Bush? No, criticism of bad policies to say the least is never enough because that opens to the ones after him to do what they want without enough accountability.

The man said “damn right” to torture. There is nothing to respect there and his policies and lies led to wars where scores of people died.

I really dislike politicians and for someone like Bush to make money (like Blair) while people suffer because of them that is a really big injustice.

P.S: I'm not directing my words towards anyone but just sharing my opinion.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
No offense, but it's kind of hard to respect someone who should be tried for war crimes. Sure, I respect the position of President no matter if I agree with a specific president's policies, and of course it is a high position. However, being complacent and just following authority because it is an authority is a much, much greater offense than criticizing someone who has committed crimes against humanity.

·
Registered
836 Posts

Definitely, I agree. I think the major fault I have with GWB is that he never really admitted his mistakes while he was in office. I think a good leader should acknowledge the mistakes, apologize if necessary, and then move on. People make mistakes all the time. And I think especially in that position, the buck stops with you... so even if it wasn't technically your mistake, accept responsibility and move on.

I would've had a lot more respect for him while in office if he had given a frank interview about things. Like, yeah, we screwed up during Katrina, I apologize, and move on. Instead, he kind of retreated, and didn't speak on the topic.

The Matt Lauer interview was great, and it certainly makes him appear more humble. It also seems like he understands where he screwed up... but is still hesitant to apologize for things. The man has many positives, but I think he often doesn't truly understand that he's made some mistakes.

I also love that he's staying out of commenting on Obama's job, just out of respect for the position.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wasn't he stealing votes during the elections or something? I don't much about US politics, I don't live there, but I saw an interview of Thom York talking about this...he said that some reporters he knows were getting threats in their own houses not to tell about this...

I know Bush was mostly criticized for looking stupid, but it looks to me like it was just the media's way of releasing some steam at him...

BTW I think that mainly psychopaths would want to deal with that much power...I'm naturally suspicious of people who are in positions of power...

·
Registered
836 Posts
BTW I think that mainly psychopaths would want to deal with that much power...I'm naturally suspicious of people who are in positions of power...
it's fine to be suspicious of people in power - but that doesn't mean that people who pursue powerful positions are psychopaths. and im not sure we need to throw that term around right and left.

one of my favorite things i learned as a political science major is that most people who serve as representatives, senators, etc. really have to *want* to change the world for the better. the costs outweigh the benefits otherwise.

a lawyer in private practice, can live a quiet life with their family, and make several times what they make as public officials... not have near the amount of press, be forced away from their homes all the time, have such a stressful position, constantly seek reelection... all to have the public have a pitifully low approval rating of you.

it's far easier *not* to be a public official, than to be one. so for the majority of the people in office, they have to truly believe they are changing the world for the better. this can be in addition to seeking the position for it's power. either way, some part of the person usually believes that they will change the world.

just knowing that makes me happier.

·
Registered
141 Posts
it's fine to be suspicious of people in power - but that doesn't mean that people who pursue powerful positions are psychopaths. and im not sure we need to throw that term around right and left.

one of my favorite things i learned as a political science major is that most people who serve as representatives, senators, etc. really have to *want* to change the world for the better. the costs outweigh the benefits otherwise.

a lawyer in private practice, can live a quiet life with their family, and make several times what they make as public officials... not have near the amount of press, be forced away from their homes all the time, have such a stressful position, constantly seek reelection... all to have the public have a pitifully low approval rating of you.

it's far easier *not* to be a public official, than to be one. so for the majority of the people in office, they have to truly believe they are changing the world for the better. this can be in addition to seeking the position for it's power. either way, some part of the person usually believes that they will change the world.

just knowing that makes me happier.
That was very nice of you to say...but I'm still highly pessimistic...I KNOW that some people are just like what you described, but the way I see it, they have to fight the majority, which doesn't think of the best of others...

This could be due to where I live, but I still see it as a rule on some level...

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
No offense, but it's kind of hard to respect someone who should be tried for war crimes. Sure, I respect the position of President no matter if I agree with a specific president's policies, and of course it is a high position. However, being complacent and just following authority because it is an authority is a much, much greater offense than criticizing someone who has committed crimes against humanity.
I agree with this. I don't think criticism of him is necessarily a reflection of the declining morals of this country.
I'm sure Bush is probably a nice person, but his policies regarding torture, war, and gay rights (just to name a few) are pretty abhorrent to me.

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
If there is one thing Bush did right, that would be that he declared war when the towers fell. Don't get me wrong...I don't like war any more than any one else. I just feel that he stood ground for his country! Now, that is what a president should do...stand for his country!

Reactions: thegirlcandance

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely, I agree. I think the major fault I have with GWB is that he never really admitted his mistakes while he was in office. I think a good leader should acknowledge the mistakes, apologize if necessary, and then move on. People make mistakes all the time. And I think especially in that position, the buck stops with you... so even if it wasn't technically your mistake, accept responsibility and move on.

I would've had a lot more respect for him while in office if he had given a frank interview about things. Like, yeah, we screwed up during Katrina, I apologize, and move on. Instead, he kind of retreated, and didn't speak on the topic.

The Matt Lauer interview was great, and it certainly makes him appear more humble. It also seems like he understands where he screwed up... but is still hesitant to apologize for things. The man has many positives, but I think he often doesn't truly understand that he's made some mistakes.

I also love that he's staying out of commenting on Obama's job, just out of respect for the position.
There was one part in the interview where Matt Lauer asked Bush if he felt he should apologize and the response Bush gave I COMPLETELY understood.... basically what he said was that he would not apologize because then he would be indirectly saying it was completely wrong and a mistake -- which, at the time, how is one person to know what the consequences and outcome will be to a decision? I mean, after 9/11 he obviously had to protect the American people -- because if he didn't something else could have happened and he could've been criticized for that.
And even us as the American people do not know the full story of what he was told as President and such -- there are many things that is not let out to the public. Only media criticism is let out rather than the full truth of situations. For that, I understand why he did not apologize.
If he apologized I think every politician would have too because no matter what they do someone is not going to like it.

·
Registered
836 Posts
There was one part in the interview where Matt Lauer asked Bush if he felt he should apologize and the response Bush gave I COMPLETELY understood.... basically what he said was that he would not apologize because then he would be indirectly saying it was completely wrong and a mistake -- which, at the time, how is one person to know what the consequences and outcome will be to a decision? I mean, after 9/11 he obviously had to protect the American people -- because if he didn't something else could have happened and he could've been criticized for that.
And even us as the American people do not know the full story of what he was told as President and such -- there are many things that is not let out to the public. Only media criticism is let out rather than the full truth of situations. For that, I understand why he did not apologize.
If he apologized I think every politician would have too because no matter what they do someone is not going to like it.
Yeah, I definitely understood his reasoning there - with the Iraq war motivations. I'm not sure he could ever apologize for that, because of the complexity of the issues involved. Plus the world is arguably better off without Saddam, and tons of other 'what-if' scenarios.

I was thinking more along the lines of Katrina... where it's not really complex. The federal government sort of botched the whole deal. I would've liked the president to acknowledge our shortcomings, and then move on.

By the way, I think the same is true of Obama, or any leader. I'm not a huge fan of ignoring things like they never occurred. If you're proactive, you can actively shape what people think about you.

But overall, I liked the interview because GWB started to acknowledge some of the mistakes of his presidency.

·
Registered
517 Posts
2 words. SMUG BASTARD. i caught parts of the interview. (was busy) i saw a bit of easy body language and a classic sign of lying here and there. did ANYONE else see the smirking? like the ? about ..."people say you have been possibly the worst president in history. what do you think history will say?" he smirked and chuckled that one aside with "i'll be dead before that happens." for those of you who don't know, it takes about 50 years for many classified documents to become public knowledge unless it is deemed still needing secrecy. he knows this and there are still the thousands of e-mails removed from the white house servers that will never see the light of day unless someone made a hard copy. i have never seen a president who has smirked so much. and eveytime he does his face tells you "if you only knew what i knew...and i am getting away with it."
bush facts:
! election is too close to telll no news agency wants to call it. many feel bush will lose it due by less than 1 percent.only 1 news agency actually calls it, that is FOX news (the channel that actually lies to its viewers and hangs off of the republicans nuts because its owner tells them to.) even then the guy in FOX that tells the talking heads that bush won is not someone that has finished counting nor has the results. it is a guy by the name of scott bush, cousin of GW. noone else at fox was willing to call it. other channels folowed suit so as to not look like they were behind, even though none of them knew how fox of all people had "figured" it out.

! list of over 40,000 names denied to vote passed to FL state voting booths. this list was created by head of state elections by order of jeb bush. list was created by matching names in TX state penal system to FL voting registry, with an 80% accuracy. there is a large disparity in blacks vs whites in the penal system. it will pick up a lot of black sounding names. blacks in america traditionally vote democrat (80-90%). now you have a lot of blacks in FL marked as can't vote due to felony charges listed in the FL state registry. after multiple recounts and ballots found washed ashore from being dumped in the ocean, bush has his lead reduced to about 500 votes. and remember that nearly 35.000 names slated for democrat were denied the vote. republicans stall for the FL state supreme court. then stall for the federal supreme court. many supreme court justices were put in by GWs dad. supreme court quickly denies certain "evidence" and nominates GW. hence bush was never elected, just nominated. like hitler!

!election 2 had ohio as the swing state. traditionaly red state but bush policies piss off the working poor class that have had jobs shipped over seas. so in highly concentrated black areas again dirty pool. 115 - 125 voting machines are labeled as broken in the state elections database. these machines are targeted for dense urban areas with tons of blacks and whites who also vote blue. in one precinct 4 machines are running. the line to vote is a 1/4 mile long and midnight strikes, the voting is over the line is told to go home you missed your chance. people waited over 4 hrs to vote. in a rich white area that votes highly red, 17 machines are setup and 2-3 people vote every 5 - 10 minutes. again thousand denied the vote who vote blue. and bush narrowly won ohio after the cheat. later after the election just like FL. election officials are brought to court or are fired, after investgation.

! 9/11 most of the terrorists were saudis. so why did we even bother with iraq? saddam was assisted by the USA back in the day he went to lackland AFB like many other "friends" of ours and he learned who be a general and military leader. he went back home and gave america the middle finger and closed up the border to us. i don't blame him actually. but we were pissed and bush Sr had a grudge from his CIA days. there were no "terrorists" in iraq. saddam did NOT tollerate 'competition'. we go in there and find no WMDs but find golden bunkers with booze, porn, forced sexual slavery and a son who thinks hooking car batteries to women's nipples is a way to kill time. not good muslim role models. ok he was bad, but do not lie about WMDs and 9/11.

I agree with this. I don't think criticism of him is necessarily a reflection of the declining morals of this country.
I'm sure Bush is probably a nice person, but his policies regarding torture, war, and gay rights (just to name a few) are pretty abhorrent to me.
a nice person? yet abhorrent. riiiiiiight sorry dude gotta call you out on that. which is it. and on GW. hates gays? his first right hand religious man was flaming gay, not just gay.(i have no problems w/the gay community, but even some gays get tired of the "sponge-bob-super-flamer) when he came out bush had to dump him for image reasons. but ummmm the masses picked up that this pastor was gay before the outing. the moped was a big flaming clue. also talking like jack from 'will and grace' was a clue. maybe GW is that dumb. can't tell if a flaming lispy guy on a moped is gay?

1. many people who make it here already have money they just need the power. also some positions have term limits so it is get in and get out with what you need.
like become a senator and get out after one term and make over a million a year as a lobbyist for drug companies. it beats that weak 6 figure senator or lawyer cash.
2. lawyers only argue over laws. politicians cans make, break, bend and remove laws for themselves and others. IE. the economic fiasco in america and now the world with derivitives and little stock oversite with even less enforcement. politicians ,who were on the take, for decades removed regulations and enforcment of Wall st. finally the imbalance of the legit vs illegit was too heavy. the shifting of debt collapsed a house of cards. the world felt that collapse.
3.yes not ALL politicians are corrupt or atleast start out that way. but it seems they are in a minority and shrinking.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
! election is too close to telll no news agency wants to call it. many feel bush will lose it due by less than 1 percent.only 1 news agency actually calls it, that is FOX news (the channel that actually lies to its viewers and hangs off of the republicans nuts because its owner tells them to.) even then the guy in FOX that tells the talking heads that bush won is not someone that has finished counting nor has the results. it is a guy by the name of scott bush, cousin of GW. noone else at fox was willing to call it. other channels folowed suit so as to not look like they were behind, even though none of them knew how fox of all people had "figured" it out.
Yes, Fox News is biased to Republicans, but MSNBC is biased in favoring democrats as well... CNN goes both ways depending on when you turn on the channel.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
We have to respect authority and at the same time criticize it. We can respect it and also criticize it at the same time. I think people have to learn how to do both with respect. We have to respect the position of the president because it is an insanely hard job, just look at how much a president ages from when he takes office to when he leaves office, that says more then enough. At the same time we need to criticize because that is how things improve is by people being unhappy. Calling Bush an idiot and a fool isn't productive criticism it is is even counter productive. Name calling is elementary school yard tactics. Lying and name calling and mud slinging doesn't solve anything, it only causes the division of this nation to grow even more. It shoves us even further back. Arguing and fighting is not progress. People are too concerned with being right or wrong and if Reps or Dems win or lose, guess what, if we keep this up we all lose. America needs to go back to kindergarten and learn how to share and care.

If people are so afraid of America's downfall and China or India rising above us, learn how to get along and work together. We will never get anywhere if all people are concerned about is name calling, mudslinging and who is right or wrong.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I don't have respect for Bush, at all, and I don't see why I should.

Just because he has enough guts to take one of the most difficult jobs?

If you were to take on one of the most difficult jobs, especially when you go around making a reference to a war as 'crusade' which costed millions of innocent lives, it takes more than courage, you need to have acknowledgment of responsibility. Unfortunately I think he misplaced his Te and Fe in carrying out his presidency duties. :dry:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts