Personality Cafe banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

Registered
There was a time when analyzing cognitive functions was helpful for me. I didn't learn about them on forums though, mostly blogs and youtube. I spent a lot of time on this forum trying to help clarify misconceptions about the cognitive functions. It's not about if you doorslam or how rare you are. It's about how your brain thinks. How it prioritizes thoughts and emotions, etc. I read a lot about unhealthy behavior blamed onto a type, and for the most part I've given up on correcting these people because 1) I don't have time to sit here and do that all day, 2) I think people want to vent and this framework puts it in a way people can comfortably understand it. Now, I don't try to type people or nail them down to how I think their brain works. I see people and problems, and how can we think about these problems in a new way so we can get a better understanding of the person? How can we expand our perspective and beyond our bias.

It annoys me to no end when people say "all INFJ's do...." or " how does INFJ interact with this type...." and just generalizing and stereotyping. All people are humans and have their own thoughts, behaviors, and motives. You can use 'INFJ logic" to rationalize doorslamming and you can use it to realize that doorslamming is very unhealthy and immature. Your type is about how you think, NOT how you behave. Big difference. That's why they're called "cognitive functions."

Technically, with how my functions are ordered, I don't fit into any type. I have introverted intuition and my introverted feeling and extroverted feeling are both second. They are both equal meaning how I feel inside directly relates to how I relate with people. If I don't like someone, everyone's going to know even if I don't express it outright. I internalize my feelings while I externalize them. I am finding out how I feel about this post as I am typing it.

There's many combinations of how people can be, not just 16.

Registered
The thing I found out about criticism is that you can train your brain to love it.

During my first job, I hated it. My first boss was the manager of a dollar store, and she was the daughter of an army grunt. She took no shit, and showed no sympathy when I screwed up. I'm not frightened by many people, but she scared the shit out of me lol. But despite all that, I ended up staying at my first job for almost 4 years (from Grade 11 into my second year of college).

Everytime I got a verbal thrashing from my boss, I felt like I was doing nothing right.
But when I asked for her reference when I applied for another job a couple years after I left, she told my next employer that I was one of the hardest workers she ever met. That woke me up, I thought she absolutely hated me based on how much she trashed me on the job. But I realized that just because someone criticizes you, doesn't mean that they are criticizing your character, or something else about you.
So really, what do you have to lose? In reality, all it does is just make you better and better than you were before. I should thank her.

I always assume fault on my end as well. I even sometimes take the blame for mishaps at work (even if I didn't do them), just so people can stop playing the blame game and just fix the problem lol. Don't worry, you're not alone.

Bolded- this took me waaaay too long to figure out. It's embarassing how long it's taken me to understand this. You're 22? GOOD JOB YOU for firguring this out already :)

Well I don't think I'll ever be able to love criticism :eek:馃槉, but I hope I'm smart enough to recognize when someone is trying to help me versus hurt me. And I guess even if they are trying to hurt me, it's still ok because there's still something to be learned from it.

Pet peeve number ohhhhhh MaYbE # 9 on my very long list of pet peeves= the blame game. People do be stupid sometimes.

Registered
My two cents is that you need to be careful with these personality descriptions. I discovered MBTI five years ago. I鈥檓 55 now. Part of my fascination with this stuff is how I made my way blindly through life trying like hell to learn and exhibit extrovert behavior. I found great success, but the fact that I鈥檓 INFJ seems to have left it鈥檚 mark on everything. Some random points:

- I thought I was one of the least emotional people I know. I came from a dysfunctional family and was pretty much stoic. That said, I鈥檓 empathetic by nature, and Fe was in hindsight a major trait. That said, I don鈥檛 think it was ever seen as non-masculine. I鈥檝e only really known one other person who I strongly believe was INFJ. She was female and was also tough as nails. It seems we handle life鈥檚 kicks in the ass better than most. That is, we keep our sanity and are able to come out stronger on the other end.

- When I was young, criticism stung. Somewhere in early adulthood the insecurity went away and I, like you, realized that I perform better than most and that criticism can be valuable. Also, like Kelly, I鈥檓 probably my worst critic.

-Yeah, I really hate confrontation. That said, I was successful in corporate life and in my own small business that I started at age 40. I鈥檝e fired more people than I could possibly count. Did I give too many chances and was I slow to fire. Yeah. It cost me, but I was able to fire with a clear conscience and it seems that good employees became more loyal to me.

- Yeah I鈥檝e door slammed in the past. I never looked at it as a named function. It was an organic occurrence where someone let me down in some huge way or where I fell in love with a friend. Looking back I鈥檇 quietly slip away. There was no confrontation and no real conscious decision on my part. Kind of like @kelly Kapowsi, these were highly emotional events that I handled the best I could.

-When it really counts, I get my way. I may be a pushover in some ways and for the most part give more than I get in return. When it comes to the people I love, that鈥檚 the way I want it. My happiness comes from the happiness of the people around me. That said I have a small circle. For those outside my circle, I also yield a lot. I seem to have a tendency to bank goodwill as much as possible. It served me well in business and I have a great reputation in my community. People comp me stuff, give me good deals, etc. An extension of this is that when I really need something, I appear totally disarming but can be surprisingly cobra-like. I鈥檇 imagine this is a very INFJ trait and extremely valuable.

Don鈥檛 get hung up on INFJ descriptions. They have little value without context in your life. I鈥檓 glad I didn鈥檛 discover MBTI when I was young as it would have limited me. This can be dangerous stuff in that way. The real value in MBTI is that it can help you understand others.

All the best to you!
Bolded: Ditto, my friend.

I really enjoy your input. I haven't met any INFJ men irl, but the ones on here really impress me with their perspectives. I have a lot of respect for the INFJ male. At least those that I've encountered on here thus far. A handful of the older INFJ men (and women 馃ズ) have left PerC this last year BOOOOO HISSSS 馃槧, so I appreciate when you check in & give your two cents. :)

Hope you're having the best day!

Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
I'm pretty sure this is not the case though. The way I remember it-- for example IEI is Intuitive ethical intratim. This literally lists the function order: Ni Fe = INFJ

EII Ethical Intuitive Intratim -- Fi Ne = INFP

SLE Sensing Logical Extratim -- Se Ti = ESTP

It's not a problem with descriptions just a difference of naming conventions. Socionics INFj = MBTI INFP because INFPs are dom judgers and they use the j to indicate that in Socionics whereas MBTI uses the primary extroverted attitude to determine a type's J/P status, rather than the dominant function itself.
You are wrong

The functions are absolutely not the same from one system to another. You get your type in socionics via IMEs and they all play a very distinct part by following model A

Ni in socionics = some bits of Si in MBTI
Se in socionics = some bits of Se +Te in Mbti
Si in socionics = some bits of Se in Mbti
Ti in socionics also borrows elements of Si in mbti (namely following traditions and structures)
Fe in socionics = Fi in mbti for the most part.
Fi in socionics = Fe in mbti for the most part

The main 4 information metabolisms of perception in socionics are Force, Ideas, Senses and Time

For example, Se (extraverted force) is knowing the right amount of force to apply (physically, leverage, making an impact) at any given time to solve a situation. Introverted force (Si) is about refining the quality of your physical experiences, reducing any activity or aggression which disturbs the calm and peacefulness of a moment

Ni is about going back in time like Si would in MBTI in order to get the conditions of a moment, to determine trends and predict the future. Its making a holistic approach. Not gonna devolve further in the topic but yeah.

Some types in Socionics don't really have any counterpart in mbti, namely SLI

Registered
You are wrong

The functions are absolutely not the same from one system to another. You get your type in socionics via IMEs and they all play a very distinct part by following model A

Ni in socionics = some bits of Si in MBTI
Se in socionics = some bits of Se +Te in Mbti
Si in socionics = some bits of Se in Mbti
Ti in socionics also borrows elements of Si in mbti (namely following traditions and structures)
Fe in socionics = Fi in mbti for the most part.
Fi in socionics = Fe in mbti for the most part

The main 4 information metabolisms of perception in socionics are Force, Ideas, Senses and Time

For example, Se (extraverted force) is knowing the right amount of force to apply (physically, leverage, making an impact) at any given time to solve a situation. Introverted force (Si) is about refining the quality of your physical experiences, reducing any activity or aggression which disturbs the calm and peacefulness of a moment

Ni is about going back in time like Si would in MBTI in order to get the conditions of a moment, to determine trends and predict the future. Its making a holistic approach. Not gonna devolve further in the topic but yeah.

Some types in Socionics don't really have any counterpart in mbti, namely SLI
So you are of the belief that Fi Ne in socionics is the equivalent of Ni Fe in MBTI? I mean this is all subjective but I'd have to disagree, I'm not big on socionics but I don't think this makes any logical sense and would probably just be better to say they don't have equivalents.

Registered
INFJ
Bolded: Ditto, my friend.

I really enjoy your input. I haven't met any INFJ men irl, but the ones on here really impress me with their perspectives. I have a lot of respect for the INFJ male. At least those that I've encountered on here thus far. A handful of the older INFJ men (and women 馃ズ) have left PerC this last year BOOOOO HISSSS 馃槧, so I appreciate when you check in & give your two cents. :)

Hope you're having the best day!
Thanks @Kelly Kapowski. I always enjoy reading your thoughts as well. Good stuff from a great female INFJ. There are some that I miss around here like Velvet Elvis (??) and Freekekistan. My 23 year old son is ESFP, and we鈥檙e like oil and water to some degree, so I like reading posts by younger members as I can relate to their thoughts and experiences, and reflect on my life a bit.

Registered
ESTP - SEE Fi
So you are of the belief that Fi Ne in socionics is the equivalent of Ni Fe in MBTI? I mean this is all subjective but I'd have to disagree, I'm not big on socionics but I don't think this makes any logical sense and would probably just be better to say they don't have equivalents.
its absolutely not subjective, its how it is

Fe in socionics is the importance of being authentic to yourself and your emotions despite what everyone else feels, elevating the emotional athmosphere with your own emotions vs what the general mood is. What you feel is what matters

Fi in socionics is the appropriate distance / consideration between people, making judgment of character etc, adhering to the overall mood.

Also regarding to your second point. It makes perfect sense, you just don't know the theory at all. Fi Ne in socionics would be Fe Ne in mbti

Registered
To summarize, learning more about yourself should generally not be a pleasant experience.
I found it to be revealing and I like my personality with it's flaws and features.

That brings me to the whole INFJ craze on the internet. To start off, I couldn't care less if you identify as INFJ or not. I am not a gatekeeper, as I am primarily focused on improving myself first and foremost, and maybe offering the same lessons to others.
But there is a LOT of misinformation concerning INFJs, and I believe that is starting to poison the well of information for everyone else.
There aren't more INFJs than the old studies suggest. It's just the weird millennial generation with nothing left do do but feel like they are special. You get a lot of fake INFJs because schools and boomer parents constantly told this generation they are special. But they're not.

1. Firstly, INFJs may not even be the rarest personality combination, as there is debate whether ENFJ males are rarer.
Data suggests that the INFJ male is the rarest in the MBTI. You are sampling the data incorrectly. You ignore that the INFJ is more prone to have internet presence over other personalities. Your data is skewed. Don't quit your daytime job to do statistics because you don't seem to know enough about statistics. It's not just numbers. It's analysis as well. I tell you that because I studied statistics. Saying that INFJs are not rare because you see them on Youtube is like saying oranges are the most cultivated fruit without taking into consideration that you're on an orange plantation. It doesn't work that way. You're ignoring all the other fruits not present on an orange plantation and assume it must be all oranges everywhere.

2. INFJs are not psychics, and we cannot see the future. Every time someone tells me that INFJs have fortune telling capabilities, some part of me dies somewhere. Yeah, sure we have good people reading skills (through the use of our auxillary Fe). But that's it. Nothing magical here. Labelling INFJs as magical creatures that nobody understands comes across as incredibly condescending and arrogant.
It's not future telling. It's the natural trait for INFJs to connect models and patterns. You see, other types with Ni not their first cognitive function do patterns like this
2-4-8-16-32-64-128-256-512-1024-2048

INFJs do it like this
2-4-8-2048

We don't see the future. We are better at analyzing patterns and we skip steps. With ease. It's because we are wired for pattern recognition. Us and INTJs. We can see the future but not in the fiction movie sense. We just leap where others walk. That can look like future telling for the Ni impaired.

3. Another topic of concern is the "INFJ Doorslam". For me, the INFJ "doorslam" is a very immature way of dealing with your problems, and throws away good communication in return for a quick and "easy" solution. But everytime I see a youtube video concerning the doorslam, the comments are filled with people going to great lengths to justify it, and celebrate it.
Look, I understand that in regards to abusive relationships, the doorslam can be an effective option. But let's face it, most people are not in abusive relationships, but rather decide to destroy relationships based on "slights" that they deem offensive. It is not fair to the other person involved, and it makes the INFJ in question look like someone who is extremely insecure. There are better methods to dealing with "slights" then simply running in the other direction, even if it is not easy to do so.
The doorslam is a quite civilized method of dealing with some relationships. Not all people deserve your attention or time. It's ok to be selective. It has nothing to do with being an easy solution. That's a very superficial description. To doorslam you first need to invest in the relationship. Otherwise it's just refusal to engage with the person. Doorslaming isn't something you do with strangers. It's something you do with friends and other people you spent time to build a relationship with. It's the immediate halt of a relationship that is no longer working despite your best efforts. It's not like building something and then tearing it down. It's like boarding it up and putting a "KEEP OUT" sign. You want it there. You don't want to tear it down. You want to remember why you stopped it. Ignoring someone is the easy way out. That is tearing down the relationship. Doorslamming is not easy or lazy.

To state it bluntly, just because you are an INFJ doesn't mean you are special.
Nobody is special, only to their close ones, except maybe some people that achieve things we value.

Sorry for the rant, but I feel this just needed to be said. If you guys feel like there is anything else to add, feel free to add it below.
Chill out, what you yellin' for?
Lay back, it's all been done before
And if you could only let it be
You will see

It's not new. I've seen lots of posts like this. You're not special so you have proved your point. It was what you were aiming for. Mission accomplished. INFJs are not special.

Registered
Of all the types, I tend to find INFJ's the most meehhhhh 馃槚. Have you ever checked out the INFJ subreddit? It makes me uncomfortable. So many cringey comments/posts. I can't figure out if they lack self-awareness or I'm the one that lacks self-awareness. Eh.
Fe dom/aux finds most of there self awarness from others. Ni/Fe does take frequent walk's among the subconscious though.

As far as the OP question,
My rant about internet INFJ's is that I also have been a Paladian with powers to heal people and a sniper that couldn't die and could hit the target 20 miles away.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts