Personality Cafe banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Speaking of Sweden, the really scary thing about it is that it is slowly turning into the North Korean of the West (just wealthier but that won't last) in many ways. Totalitarian government (yes, it's supposedly democratic, but democracy doesn't mean totalitarianism and fascism cannot exist especially if the majority itself is fascist), complete information control (I've seen documentaries where individuals who've "escaped" sweden have come out and talked about how repressed they are in Sweden), single type of government for more than 60 years.

Etc.
I'd personally take it with a bit of salt; I've lived in Sweden and some "rumors" tend to be greatly exaggerated.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
So, what's everyone's take on busy-bodies?

The neighborhood I grew up in has a growing Facebook page that's mostly dedicated to important announcements, recommended lawn services, boring stuff like that. As more people have joined it though, we've been getting the neighborhood busybodies periodically freaking out about certain things. Like, these people freak out so easily about the weirdest shit; you'd think it was inner city Detroit instead of a well-off suburb with extremely low crime. It's always the same goddamn people too, like they don't have any hobbies, so they have to invent or manufacture problems. Everyone else just uses it to get a good local handy-man recommendation, but I guess that isn't interesting or scandalous enough for some people.

That being said, there's been an uptick in weirdly senseless crimes recently, mostly centered on the same two or so streets. Last fall it was leaf piles and one of those "little free library" things getting lit on fire, more recently it was mailboxes getting knocked over. Had a bunch of car "breakins" recently (by which I mean somebody opened their unlocked car door and took stuff). This kind of stuff is unusual around there, so now there are these little witch hunts that are like "oh, I saw a guy in a HOODIE last night." And everyone is real quick to blame these comparatively low income apartments nearby, even those these apartments have always been there. Honestly, it's probably some soccer mom's shitty high schooler and one or two friends, not "some guy in a hoodie," or their black neighbor, or anyone from the apartment complex (which has some history of crime, but it's always very localized).

Right now though, the current panic is Copperheads. I live in the south, Copperheads are everywhere during the summer. But somebody took a picture of one in their yard, so now we've got an uproar, "how can the city allow snakes to roam free in this extremely woodsy area that I willingly moved to," posting pictures of "this huge Copperhead in my yard" (sometimes a Copperhead, usually an over-sized Garter Snake or some other nonvenomous snake). And it's just like: It's summer, it's the south. There will be Copperheads, whether you see them or not. The city is not going to waste taxpayer money on some futile misadventure to try and eliminate them all. Maybe you should have thought about all this before you decided to move here from Long Island. Don't get me wrong, Copperheads can be dangerous, I've been bit before. It sucked. But the response is totally disproportionate to the actual threat of "oh yeah, there are snakes around here sometimes."

I can only guess how these people are going to react around September when the inevitable Black Bear sighting occurs.

It's annoyingly pointless stuff, but it's honestly kind of funny, and the fact that it's almost always the same few people going into an uproar just makes it funnier. But I don't understand them. Like, are they actually this afraid of/outraged by everything, or just attention-starved? Or both?

Kind of glad I don't live at home anymore though. I try to use my telescope, somebody will probably mistake it for some kind of gun and call the cops.

·
Registered
17,694 Posts
I stopped using Facebook for anything man. It's FULL of those kinds of people. There was a time when I had like a thousand contacts on there and I've managed to trim them down to 26 lmao.

There have always been "The world is gonna end" type of megalomaniacs, but now the ENTIRE internet is their giant placard for all kinds of doomsday predictions :laughing:

Same thing is happening in our little area. Apparently, GMO's and Vaccines are the new Red Scare in my area.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I stopped using Facebook for anything man. It's FULL of those kinds of people. There was a time when I had like a thousand contacts on there and I've managed to trim them down to 26 lmao.

There have always been "The world is gonna end" type of megalomaniacs, but now the ENTIRE internet is their giant placard for all kinds of doomsday predictions :laughing:

Same thing is happening in our little area. Apparently, GMO's and Vaccines are the new Red Scare in my area.
I've been lucky with Facebook for the most part, the worst I usually get are the people who spend every second of every day arguing about politics on social media. Although Facebook's algorithm for some reason believes that I love arguing about politics, and that I'm Republican, so I think it's more that those things get elevated to the top of my feed. No crackpots though.

I did know a guy who got arrested on pot charges, and continued to post pictures of himself getting baked and part of me wanted to tell him that this was a really stupid thing to be sharing on social media a week from his court date, but I always thought this guy was annoying, and decided to let him figure that out on his own. This was years ago; don't know what happened to him.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts

I know what you mean. I sort those out; but still keep a decent amount of friends. More for networking then anything else.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I'd personally take it with a bit of salt; I've lived in Sweden and some "rumors" tend to be greatly exaggerated.
Well, you can never know what is true or not if you aren't living there. Often sources are half-true.

Saw video on YouTube made by some Brit on how Poland is doing well economically. As someone who lives here, I just don't see it.
Breaking the video down:

"Polish economy so strong it wasn't affected by Euro crisis in 2008". True It wasn't affected, but reason was, it was so bad it couldn't get really worse. You can't fall if you are already at the bottom. We were talking between each other at that times that, we would very willingly swap our "economic well being" with western Europeans and their "crisis". Since in reality we were still miles behind western Europe. We still are anyway.

"The Germany of Eastern Europe". LOL. We are in better shape than Ukraine for sure but ... Ukraine is in very bad shape it doesn't mean anything.

From country of emigrant to country of immigrant- sure there as Ukrainians migrating here, but we are still big on emigration.
This puts blue collar in really weird spot. We are much missing workers on blue-collar which leads to employers giving higher wages to fresh young guys than to old loyal workers. Which is bullshit, but they know old worker with family won't just migrate and leave the job in any moment, so they can keep them even at minimal wage with 20+ years in the company. Very SJ unfriendly. Promotes ESP job hopping.

High level education. You mean those people with master degree in economy working as dishwashers in London? I am aware that i don't live in urban area, so its quite bad here but in my university was lacking basing equipment for classes. Interest in STEM field is really low . In 2007 even for computer science they took anyone who applied even without math exam at my Uni. Government tries to counter that by introducing " ordered subjects". You get cash for studying specific subjects on specific universities. Americans and their student loans LUL.
Average payment 1400$. Where? acroos manager CEO's programmers and lawyers? Minimal is around 400$, real average Joe gets like 700-800, 1400 is unreachable dream for majority in the country lol.

Theoretically Greece is in crisis and big debts, but so far in practice their living standard is much higher compared to us. It probably will turn in the future but so far we are behind. Having Euro as currency is most likely influencing it a lot. Here without Euro everything coming from USA like Electronics are ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
17,694 Posts
^THis is why I like to talk to people directly who live in such countries as opposed to getting my info from news outlets etc.

I did fall into the trap of trusting nonsense about Sweden, but I will learn more.

I picked someone's brains about SA in order to get the real picture of what life's really like and it was vastly different from the one presented by youtubers and the far right. They actually didn't even know about the shit that the extreme far right was saying about them in America and on the internet :laughing:

My first year in America and someone asked me "Do they have banks in Pakistan?" ..... ....

... I still can't let that one go after 4 years.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Well I'm not gonna rant about politics cause that shit be boring as fuck, so here goes:

INFPs are annoying as fuck, they whine and moan about anything that doesn't fit their shitty SJW agenda (and no that's not political). Literally make one offensive joke around these 'people' and watch them lose their shit. It's quite funny how easily offended and politically correct they are really.

Edit: So I'm post 69, lol funny

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
^THis is why I like to talk to people directly who live in such countries as opposed to getting my info from news outlets etc.

I did fall into the trap of trusting nonsense about Sweden, but I will learn more.

I picked someone's brains about SA in order to get the real picture of what life's really like and it was vastly different from the one presented by youtubers and the far right. They actually didn't even know about the shit that the extreme far right was saying about them in America and on the internet :laughing:

My first year in America and someone asked me "Do they have banks in Pakistan?" ..... ....

... I still can't let that one go after 4 years.
Was that about blacks killing white farmers, and taking their lands or something else?

I was never really into politics either, in Poland politician are all old farts from times of round table with pretty much the same goal. Take as much money for themselves. Since long time elections is choosing lesser evil ... they are just slightly different.
The previous government liberals with "rich get richer" style appealing to upper mid and high class.
Or current conservative, overly attached to the past, but giving welfare programs appealing to working class.

·
Registered
17,694 Posts
Was that about blacks killing white farmers, and taking their lands or something else?
It was about how westerners are trying to frame the entire narrative as a genocide. His impression was that that was completely flawed from his perspective in the country.

In fact, I feared for my life more in Pakistan than he seemed to in SA. From that I gauged that the narrative is highly exaggerated. You can't live in a country where a genocide is happening and not be afraid at the same time.

·
Code Cracked
7,650 Posts
So, what's everyone's take on busy-bodies?

The neighborhood I grew up in has a growing Facebook page that's mostly dedicated to important announcements, recommended lawn services, boring stuff like that. As more people have joined it though, we've been getting the neighborhood busybodies periodically freaking out about certain things. Like, these people freak out so easily about the weirdest shit; you'd think it was inner city Detroit instead of a well-off suburb with extremely low crime. It's always the same goddamn people too, like they don't have any hobbies, so they have to invent or manufacture problems. Everyone else just uses it to get a good local handy-man recommendation, but I guess that isn't interesting or scandalous enough for some people.

That being said, there's been an uptick in weirdly senseless crimes recently, mostly centered on the same two or so streets. Last fall it was leaf piles and one of those "little free library" things getting lit on fire, more recently it was mailboxes getting knocked over. Had a bunch of car "breakins" recently (by which I mean somebody opened their unlocked car door and took stuff). This kind of stuff is unusual around there, so now there are these little witch hunts that are like "oh, I saw a guy in a HOODIE last night." And everyone is real quick to blame these comparatively low income apartments nearby, even those these apartments have always been there. Honestly, it's probably some soccer mom's shitty high schooler and one or two friends, not "some guy in a hoodie," or their black neighbor, or anyone from the apartment complex (which has some history of crime, but it's always very localized).

Right now though, the current panic is Copperheads. I live in the south, Copperheads are everywhere during the summer. But somebody took a picture of one in their yard, so now we've got an uproar, "how can the city allow snakes to roam free in this extremely woodsy area that I willingly moved to," posting pictures of "this huge Copperhead in my yard" (sometimes a Copperhead, usually an over-sized Garter Snake or some other nonvenomous snake). And it's just like: It's summer, it's the south. There will be Copperheads, whether you see them or not. The city is not going to waste taxpayer money on some futile misadventure to try and eliminate them all. Maybe you should have thought about all this before you decided to move here from Long Island. Don't get me wrong, Copperheads can be dangerous, I've been bit before. It sucked. But the response is totally disproportionate to the actual threat of "oh yeah, there are snakes around here sometimes."

I can only guess how these people are going to react around September when the inevitable Black Bear sighting occurs.

It's annoyingly pointless stuff, but it's honestly kind of funny, and the fact that it's almost always the same few people going into an uproar just makes it funnier. But I don't understand them. Like, are they actually this afraid of/outraged by everything, or just attention-starved? Or both?

Kind of glad I don't live at home anymore though. I try to use my telescope, somebody will probably mistake it for some kind of gun and call the cops.
I did away with my facebook years ago. If I want people to know what I am doing, I will tell them. Or they can call and ask and if I want them to know, once again tell them.

One of the reasons was work related, I see how they utilize it to FB stalk and talk shit about eachother. Originally, anyone work related was not added but, when my Boss sent a friend request, what do you do lol then I had to add the others (politics blah)

The last straw was when my best friend since I was 15 mother was going through a divorce (20 years of marriage so, I grew up around them) and her now ex step father was PMing me on FB asking when I was coming back up to ATL. :rolleyes:

61 - 76 of 76 Posts