Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
it's alright , I don't listen to it all that much,I enjoy Eminiem once in awhile and i'm quite fond of Sweatshop union.

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
Some is great. Some is terrible.

I can't just have a beat and lots of autotune, though. The words have to clever/interesting or I don't see the point.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I unabashedly love rap music.

Not all, but I don't love all of any type of music.

Good rap is just so passionate, and I love that. I love how raw the emotions come across.

And I love learning raps (my latest complete conquest is "Bonfire" by Childish Gambino, but I've got a few new ones in the works). And I love rapping them with friends or even just loudly in the car. It's one of the best releases in the world.

I'm not a huge fan of the more hip-hoppy rap that is usually on the radio though. That tends to lack the passion that draws me to rap to begin with.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
Don't stereotype rap if you aren't experienced in it.

Now, first of all, rap is usually considered the faster element of R & B, however, if you go right in the middle there is "chill rap" or hip hop etc.. It is not all dance club or gangster.

That being said, there are two types of gangster rap.

one is a revolutionist gangster like NWO, that is talking about inequalities, and disliking the system

They use vulgarity, and you hear vulgarity coming from the radio just as much as you hear from someone's conversation.

The other type of gangster rap can be broken off into two other categories.

Addiction to lust

Addiction to money and power.

Both of those are bad, and they are in all music, not just rap.

Top 40 music is all about blaming other people and saying we are great. Not always, but neither always is rap. Country music is just as often about drugs and alcohol as it is about family values.

That being said, the element i havent yet talked about is "self validation exercise."

We that are insecure often benefit from standing in front of the mirror saying "you are good, you look great."

Thats what people that have been considered "inferior" by others have learned to do.

They've learned to walk and talk like a living affirmation exercise.

The reason people don't like it, is because they think it is arrogant, and they get distraught when they picture themselves not getting along with a member of that community.

But the reason isnt just arrogance, it is also ignorance on people's part to not empathize with someone that has been considered inferior's position.

Both need fixed.

Rap is a product of both white and black and everyone elses culture that has effected the person writing the rap.

And yes there is some tendency to "remain loyal to our own group" out of fear or just habit.

I'm christian and I don't like christian rock music. I just don't like the sound of the cultural voice. I do like black gospel though often times.

So i mean yea there are negative elements to our culture and music, and they are more vividly seen by those that have been trained to use self affirmation and express themselves with confidence, but its the culture thats the problem, not the music, which is art.

Plato's Allegory of the Cave. We sit in the cave with dim lights being spooked and believing in the shadows. We attempt to get out of the cave with art. But once we get out of the cave we need art no longer.

So hating on any kind of art, means that person is stuck in the cave in fear, and if they dont need art because they are fully connected to the world with love, then they still certainly wouldnt hate on it.

That being said, Im glad people here are not hating on anything and are simply sharing their tastes. Rap has the same rythym as jazz pretty much. It all overlaps somewhat.

I hate lil wayne's voice.

·
Registered
110 Posts
rap has a bad rep because of the earlier generation, which most of it dealt with violence, sex, drugs. but it has revolutionized over the past years. and it talks about life, government, and love. for example, heres a video:

here is the revolutionized version of rap, it is the type i listen to.

·
Banned
17,781 Posts
rap has a bad rep because of the earlier generation, which most of it dealt with violence, sex, drugs. but it has revolutionized over the past years. and it talks about life, government, and love. for example, heres a video:

here is the revolutionized version of rap, it is the type i listen to.
fuck that. political correctness got its hands on rap and ruined it. who cares about government and love? rap was never about that. rap is about gettin' yours, whether that's money, nice cars, sex or clothes. rap was never meant to be what other music is. rap is about surviving, getting what you want, doing what you want and brushing the haters off your shoulders . it was never about helping humanity or some wimpy notion like that.
PS: I'm white, not a gangster and talk like a white person, it's just that I like rap and know what it's about

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
New rap is mostly rubbish behind the always sexy rap beats...

I LOVE RAP BEATS!!! crazy... and if you can flow with them sickly, I will listen to any rubbish you say (take nicki minaj for example)

I like underground rappers more than the mainstream crap... low quality, watered down and over hyped.

Pree this Korean-American Rapper (singer, break dancer, actor... and best of all... SEX SYMBOL <~ panic attack)

(If you aint know Jay Park.. jump on it from now, you are gonna be seeing his sexy face all around sigh sigh sigh)

Other rappers I respect: Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park), blonde Eminem, Tupac.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I like happy rap! If that makes any sense, lol! Idk, when rappers are like yelling throughout the whole song, it kinda hurts my ears:(

But then again, I didn't grow up in the hood like some people here, so rap is kinda strange to me...

·
ѕησωум¢ѕησωƒα¢є
4,292 Posts
Rap was never about that. rap is about gettin' yours, whether that's money, nice cars, sex or clothes.
Rap was originally just about adding rhyming lyrics over disco beats to encourage more people to step on to the dancefloor.

It is important not to interpret the message of individual rappers with that of rap in general. Before the development of gangster rap, apart from messages about having a good time and big-noting by rappers, there were also raps that reflected social commentary, especially the well known beat "The Message".

Before we had Gangster rap, we had:

(1979)

(1979)
(Yes there is a bit of big-noting by one of the rappers)

(1981)

(1981)

(1982)

(1983)

(1984)

But east coast preaching about pulling ourselves up by our bootstraps, was soon overtaken by ****** With Attitude.

·
Registered
8,229 Posts
fuck that. political correctness got its hands on rap and ruined it. who cares about government and love? rap was never about that. rap is about gettin' yours, whether that's money, nice cars, sex or clothes. rap was never meant to be what other music is. rap is about surviving, getting what you want, doing what you want and brushing the haters off your shoulders . it was never about helping humanity or some wimpy notion like that.
PS: I'm white, not a gangster and talk like a white person, it's just that I like rap and know what it's about
What about artists like Mos Def? Also, if raps about getting what you want like you just said, are you saying that people that like rap don't want political correctness?

I feel like I've been trolled.

If not, im the only weirdo that went on a diatribe about rap in this thread. Shit.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts