Personality Cafe banner

Rate your listening skills....

• what? sorry I wasn't listening :S

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Introverted & quite poor.. it's all me, myself & I :D

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Introverted & poor.. it's mostly about me. I'm working on it.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Introverted & quite ok I do ramble about my probs though from time to time

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Introverted & good I feel quite balanced though prefer talking

• Introverted & perfectly balanced, I am an angel! :D

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Introverted & balanced though I prefer to listen

Votes: 12 15.0%
  • Introverted & quite good I prefer to listen and help with giving positve feedback

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Introverted & great I listen, listen & listen and rarely talk about me

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • second worst poll ever

• Extroverted & quite poor.. it's all me, myself & I :D

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extroverted & poor.. it's mostly about me. I'm working on it.

• Extroverted & quite ok I do ramble about my probs though from time to time

• Extroverted & good I feel quite balanced though prefer talking

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Extroverted & perfectly balanced, I am an angel! :D

• Extroverted & balanced though I prefer to listen

• Extroverted & quite good I prefer to listen and help with giving positve feedback

• Extroverted & great I listen, listen & listen and rarely talk about me

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I refuse to vote

• turran

• Total voters
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you rate your listening skills, when it comes to your friends & family.

Is it usually you doing the talking or are you more of a listener/friend counsellor?

I know that some feel more balanced in this but we also fluctuate from time to time, over all how would you rate yourself?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
On a scale of 1-10 I'd say 6. I hardly talk and I try to listen more, but I have problems concentrating on people talking. And I try to be a counselor type to people as much as I can.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey you posted before I finished the poll... lol ..sneaky :p

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
When it comes to friends and family, it depends what we're talking about. If it's something I don't find particularly interesting, I'm mostly a listener (though a good one, I don't "tune out" on friends and family when they're talking directly to me), however, if it is something that piques my intellectual interest or problem-solving instinct, I'm more talkative. I always consider at least listening to their full thought important however.

4,757 Posts
Introverted & good I feel quite balanced though prefer talking

I talk a hell of a lot but I'm very conscientious about paying attention to people (even when it looks like I'm not) and giving them appropriate feedback.

Reactions: Hiccups24-7

·
Banned
1,956 Posts
Introverted & great I listen, listen & listen and rarely talk about me

My friends seek me out because I am such a good listener.

Reactions: Hiccups24-7

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Extroverted & quite good, I prefer to listen and help with giving positive feedback.

There are times when I talk a lot, but I usually listen more. When I feel the person's problems are more serious than mine, I shut up and do my best to be a good listener and offer advice. When the other person is relatively carefree or I'm very damaged, I talk a bit more, but I still try not to ramble too much. When it's a neutral conversation, I'm pretty balanced, but it also depends on who I'm talking to. If the other person talks a lot - I'm quiet. If the other person is quiet - I talk.

·
MOTM Feb 2011
8,075 Posts
I heard once that ideally it should be 55% the other person talking and 45% you talking.
Well I probably tip it a little more my way, but I really try to ask them questions and listen to them, and not talk about me too much. I am interested in people but I get side tracked a bit.

It's good to be a capable listener but it's also important to be able to convey your thoughts/ feelings to the other person so that they feel a part of your life, and not like an outsider.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts

I do talk about myself, but if the other person tells me something's up, I forget all about poor me and listen to them.
Those I care about, matter much more than I do.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Introverted & balanced though I prefer to listen
Yes. I prefer to listen, even to conversations that I am not in.
Some people consider this eavesdropping, but I think that I am just a good listener.
I like to listen to people but I also found that talking is good too.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I listen almost as well as Momo....I like to think=P

·
Registered
112 Posts

I listen to everyone.. even if the person is talking about something that nobody cares about... i just stare and listen...

·
Registered
858 Posts
Whenever I'm out with my friends, there's always some type of listening/giving advice session going on. I'm the listener though and sometimes not to make things quiet between us, I would also tell something about myself just to keep the convo going.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts