Personality Cafe banner
44K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  Yu Narukami 
#1 ·
It seems that the INFP is the type that tries to commit more suicides, but what about the others that follow?

What are the main differences among types about the motives to take your own life and the way to do that.
Are intuitives more suicidal? are thinkers more successful and effective at their first attempt?

Is there any study that has been done on the subject?
What types find the idea of suicide quite unthinkable?

#2 ·
Very interesting post. But, you sure INFPs have the highest rates?

I'd argue that ISFPs and INFPs have pretty similar rates. ISFPs tend to be more impulsive -- to act before they think hence if in a state of emotional crisis their first impulse may be to lash out on themselves -- either to test the affection of the ones who care for them, to escape their immediate emotional state, or a fusion.

Although, I do see how Ns could have higher probability of acquiring suicidal tendencies -- we tend to think about life a lot: what it means, what it is, why we're here -- and sooner or later we'll encounter the existentialist 'there is no point to our existence' thoughts which, in turn, may cause us to ponder suicide.

I'd say that ESTJs and ESFJs are the types who would find the idea of suicide quite taboo. Primarily because they're quite preoccupied with maintaining structure in their lives, interacting vicariously with the world around them, and tend to live their lives based on traditional beliefs/values (saying no to suicide is most likely one of them).

Of course, the idea of suicide varies greatly from culture to culture -- personality type is certainly the gravity whereas culture is the weak nuclear force. For example, in Japan one may have found an ESTJ committing suicide in order to follow their cultural belief system -- to restore honor to him/herself and his/her family, whereas an ISFP/INFP may find the idea of sticking to those values repulsive and lash out in an unorthodox way.

I may be wrong but this is my impromptu input.

#4 ·
I agree with the above statement about ESTJ and ESFJ, they would probably never in a million years try to commit suicide. Or even threaten for that matter, or do anything that would put them in any danger or trouble for THAT matter.
But, I don't think it's all about being impulsive and lashing out and testing, sometimes it is when people have gone too far and when they really just want to feel like they have something to live for when they feel like everything is crashing down, but then you have to think.... what caused that in the first place... in my opinion you either have to be extremely immature or have gone so far down the road of depression that you got another disorder if not many other disorders. Or both of course. But people dont just test people, S or N or whatever they are. And attempting suicide does not make someone a certain personality type either.
IDK about the being repulsed by certain things part but that could totally make sense.
The impulse to escape a temporary situation could go either way S or N. S because of the impulsiveness that I've been taught that SP's have, and N because they over think and over analyze situations at times. And either because the individual may just feel like they tried everything and their life is down the drain, like they dug a hole and the hole is so deep the only way to get out is to either die or to have someone help lead them out, which is why im really not surprised that its Ps who try to commit suicide of course. that doesnt make them an S or an N. its not about that, its about inner problems and having no other escape that they can think of, especially when they might believe that the only people who they could lean on for help are the exact people they don't want to share feelings with, which is a common problem for people who struggle with emotional issues.

#11 ·
I agree with the above statement about ESTJ and ESFJ, they would probably never in a million years try to commit suicide. Or even threaten for that matter, or do anything that would put them in any danger or trouble for THAT matter.
I'd be very careful with my use of the word "never" if I were you. Claiming certain MBTI types would never attempt suicide is a grossly inaccurate generalization. Surely, ESFJs and ESTJs are probably less likely to have suicidal tendencies... but saying they'd "probably never" attempt suicide is blatantly untrue for obvious reasons. Any type can be affected by mental illness.

I think that I's can become E's when they're depressed. It's totally possible that an introvert can stop caring about everything if they are severely depressed and they can go out and do things with other people. Idk if thats true but it seems possible. Because depression isn't just one shade it comes out many different ways, which I think everyone already knows of course. And P's turning into J's seems possible too, because if you're depressed you can become more likely to be irritated by little things that didn't irritate you and become a control freak or whatever.
And I don't know any of this for fact I'm guessing but it seems totally possible.
Depression makes you withdraw, regardless of whether or not you are an introvert or an extrovert. Extroverts become introverted and introverts become unhealthily introverted. There is no kind of depression that would cause you to go out with people more, unless you are having some sort of manic episode, which would fall under the category of bipolar.

#5 ·
I've just come out of severe depression that has lasted for me (off and on) about 2 years. I am fairly new to the whole MBTI theory and so therefore I have no claim to comment on which type is the most suicidal, but id like to point out that depression (the precursor to suicide) is a non typist illness. It can affect anyone and at anytime, it will bring you down slowly and i've seen the most extroverted people, become introverts. Its a slow illness and by the time you realise you have it, you are well within its grips!

I have talked to a few INFPs and they were definitely depressed (not saying they all are, because thats rubbish..) I know these individuals because I posted my first link in their sub forum, because I tested as one and thought the description was fact. I am definitely an ENTP (further research helped me establish that), but when depressed I keep getting INFP and a few other INFPs were also wondering if they are the same (extroverts in the shade).

So maybe you shouldn't ask about type, but rather ask if depression can turn you towards being a "shadow type", maybe natural INFPs become ENTPs lol Sounds absurd... And probably is, but I don't know.

#6 ·
Ah! Shadow type! That's the word I was looking for! Now I know what to research -- thank you for your input Zero. I think I stumble into seasons very similar to yours -- I agree depression can turn sunny-side up eggs upside down.

There are definitely several questions I have about shadow functions such as: can Is shadow E when they're depressed or does everybody turn I in times of depression? Do Js always collapse to P during depression? Can Ps turn J in times of depression? Etc. -- but I'll look into the topic before expanding.

#8 ·
I think that I's can become E's when they're depressed. It's totally possible that an introvert can stop caring about everything if they are severely depressed and they can go out and do things with other people. Idk if thats true but it seems possible. Because depression isn't just one shade it comes out many different ways, which I think everyone already knows of course. And P's turning into J's seems possible too, because if you're depressed you can become more likely to be irritated by little things that didn't irritate you and become a control freak or whatever.
And I don't know any of this for fact I'm guessing but it seems totally possible.

#9 ·
This is one of the points where MBTI breaks down and no longer becomes helpful. It is largely irrelevant what type a person is when they are depressed, because a depressed person needs someone to help them not their type. Generalisations can be useful for vague understandings of people, but depressed people need something a lot more specific. There are patterns in behaviour that can help to quantify a person's motivations, however they still require that the unique circumstances be taken into account in order to figure out just what led them to that point.

A person of any type can fear that their existence is meaningless and no longer feel life is worth continuing. This question was likely meant with the best intentions, but there are no special types who are more depressed. INFPs most likely show up as the most depressed because unhappy people identify with the label of INFP. Intuition is often linked by depressed intelligent people because of what has been described here - the 'over-analysing'. Introversion is a given, because usually depressed people struggle to deal with being around other people when it's enough of a problem being around themselves. Identification of Feeling is because of the association with this and strong emotions, such as those occurring in depression, like feeling inadequate. Perceiving is probably because depressed people are unlikely to display the characteristic 'meticulous planning' associated with judging (something that seems pretty misunderstood IMO).

It's not possible to determine whether type determines likelihood of depression or whether depression causes the individual to act in ways similar to certain types but for entirely different motivations that can't be said to be the same as actually being that type.

#12 ·
yeah thats true, I totally was exaggerating too much. I know everyone and anyone can be affected by mental problems, no matter how much of any type they are. Trying to commit suicide isn't necessarily a P thing or a J thing, nor a S thing or an N thing. It all depends on the person and it all depends on the circumstances. I guess what i meant wasn't quite depression because you're right depression is more of a don't care about anything, so don't want to leave the house thing, not so much a not being yourself thing. But more of a mental illness thing.
What you said is completely true and I totally agree with what you said.

#13 ·
Posted by: Seymour

Some studies (MBTI and Mood -- Neurotransmitter.net) have claimed INFP and ISFP are the most unipolar depression prone, with IPs in general more prone to suicide attempts.

Still some of these studies have problems were patients were typed only after they sought treatment for depression. Depressed people tend to be more socially withdrawn, ruminate over feelings, and feel unable to implement plans. So I wouldn't take them too seriously.

Conversely, I could also see how IFPs would tend more towards self-harm than acting out and harming others, and would tend to feel unable to escape awareness of their emotional state.

#14 ·
i wouldnt say im suicidal but i have fallen into bouts of depression that are i think related to my "intj patterns of thinking". i am really strict on myself to be as logical as possible when thinking about things and observing the world, and it can be a bit depressing from time to time. i really can see why religion is so big, and to be honest i tried myself fully cognicent of my motives. for instance, the theory of evolution would say that there is no point to life, you are the eventual product of successful self replicating dna strands, everything about you is a copy of what had managed to exist. psychology (and evolution again to some degree) would say that the love i feel for my daughter is the result of oxytocin being produced in my brain and this is to help ensure the continuing of my genes and nothing more. that warm feeling i get is natures trick. if right and wrong are subjective then what does any of it really matter. it leads to the feeling of leading an empty existence and it has made it difficult to really function at work and school, because investing in your life begins to seem pointless. its not sadness, its just an empty depression. im better now, my mentality is to enjoy the ride as much as you can because the fact that you can feel things (the love for my daughter for instance) makes it as real as it needs to be. i think i heard someone say that this would be me learning to balance out my type.

#21 ·
Japan has the highest suicide rate - follow by Siri Lanka and Korea- I have no idea what mbti these people are but I highly doubt the mass majority of them are perceivers - in fact it's probably quite the opposite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.