Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess that INTJs, ENTPs, ENTJs, and INTPs don't really have the reputation of being the necessarily most altruistic people on Earth. But, I am here to break that stereotype. While I am not really altruistic to a fault, I can find myself doing incredibly altruistic things at times. For me, this is especially true with close friends. Right now, though, specific examples escape my mind, but the question I want to ask the Rationals in general how they feel about altruism.

·
Registered
29,012 Posts
I do little things and I say big things. In real life, my sense of value is usually based on fairness, I eat my food you eat your food. But that's outside of considering what if I have food and someone else doesn't.

·
Banned
668 Posts
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime"

That quote sums up how altruistic I am. However, I don't actively seek out people and ask them if they want to go learn how to fish, but I do try to encourage others to do so. I'm a thinker not a doer after all. Other than that, I agree with Solrac026.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess that I should have clarified that as well. My form of altruism is not really sticking my neck out for others in the spur of the moment, but rather, teaching them and empowering them in my human limits, the skills they will need to deal with their problems.

Reactions: dawilliams

·
Registered
9,944 Posts
Well most of my actions are based on principal.

If I think I am saving 5 lives per say by firing one person. Well then I feel I have been more compassionate then some sap that would spare the neglectful unsuited employee at the risk of residents.

Anyways I think I am able to express myself best thru action. I don't do well with general affections, so I probably go out on a limb so to speak to make someones day brighter or better if I can. I take too much responsibility if anything for what goes on around me. I think honestly I probably over compensate in the sense of active good deeds. But I don't think that I show it in a mushy way, because I am not soft hearted outwardly (inwardly yeah).

I really think tho that I try and extend selflessness in my actions. (Not as wishy washy as maybe a more sentimental type tho).

·
Registered
488 Posts
I consider myself somewhat altruistic. I donate small sums to causes that I find reasonable. I can be generous with my close friends.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I think altruism happens when we understand that advancing the good of the world around us=advancing our own good. You can call it selfishness, but doing so might be confusing because ^that^ --advancing the good of the world around us--can be harder than dropping chump change in the bell-ringing Santa Claus's boot. When someone is committed to that end, they are often willing to endure a lot of suffering and delayed gratification in the process. We look at them and think they are selfless, but, really, like I said, they think that what they're doing is necessary to improve the quality of their existence.

As such, NT's can be as altruistic as anyone. Their brand of it might be less flowery that that of an NF's but that doesn't mitigate it's value. NT's have advanced the world in significant ways, especially in NT domains, such as science, rational thought, medicine, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most people don't have enough time on their hands or money in their pockets to make substantial contributions to charity, which is entirely understandable. I am lucky enough to come from a rich-ish family, so we give money instead of time. I am by no means altruist, of course.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I seem altristic, when I just use my own logic, if I have money i don't need and see some homeless person i'd give it since i d o n't need it or if I had a day ticket, i'd give it to someone because it's a waste. To throw it away

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
I am decently altruistic. I am willing to help people, but I do have my limits (i.e. I can give tips for a project, but don't expect me to finish the whole project by myself).

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'm altruistic according to the dictionary but I always have an inner debate about this. Like I always wonder if by helping or serving another person, I gain greater than I give. And even if I do, whether or not that makes me selfish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts