Personality Cafe banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hoping to find some help with discerning between one or the other, or which one is subdomint and dominant?

I apologize for the poor construction of wording.

The first time I took this test, a year ago, the test result showed INFP. Even the 336 questionnaire on facebook suggests that I'm an INFP based on the Big Five questionnare. But that's just logical proof. About me.

I am someone that comes off as reserved, but opens up the moment a friend comes my way. I reciprocate emotion like a mirror when that happens. I like the arts, everything from drawing, to poetry, to playing abss guitar. In fact, I can't even recognize my imagination in colors unless I read poetry. Everything just goes gray when I don't. In addition to liking the arts, I study computers in college (and used to in high school. Graduated as a certified IT Technician :laughing: ). I should mention that my major is computer-related so that I can go down split paths with it; computer security and game programming. I believe that logic and philosophy gives me a base to defend my values with; which is to help others so that they learn to help each other.

My values seem to contradict my thoughts for being an INFP as being an ISFJ. I do not see a need to serve others, only a desire to help them see truth, sometimes no matter how long it takes. In fact, I would have never realized this if my close friend hadn't pointed it out: After a bunch of drama was solved and dealt with, I seemed to have a problem with seemingly having no problems. Now that he mentioned it, I think that I put others before myself, but that doesn't seem to differentiate between INFP and ISFJ.

Upon taking the Ennegram, my results were not clear. My top rated results were 5, 9, 1 and 2. My top wings (ironically) were 1w9 followed by 9w1 and finally 1w2. Upon reading my top four, I saw that 9 is normally mistaken for 5 by males. Yet it's like 5 is ISFJ and 9, 1 and 2 are in support of INFP. I could really use a bone right about now...:mellow:

honestly, I think that I am an INFP. But the chance is always there for ISFJ, which is why I question it. As for Enneagrams, I feel my results are Wing 9w1..I think.

If anyone does decide to attempt to help, I thank you in advance.

edit: decision paragraph added.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
What does security mean for you? What does it mean to you?

What parts make you think there might be elements of ISFJ you can relate to? Is it just the reciprocation of emotion? Could you expand on that? What do you mean by reciprocating emotion like a mirror when a friend comes your way? Do you find yourself having your own emotions bounced back at you, in a way, or is it more a case of becoming more expressive? Or something else?

How about dealing with stress? How does it manifest, how do you deal with it?

How about when you become unhealthy? What are you like then?

Just a few questions, I don't know if you'll find an answer.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
Tests are inaccurate. People take them sometimes answering questions thinking of what they would want to be like, instead of what they really are like, so end up testing as a wrong type. Some people take them when they are very stressed by life and so are acting out in a manner unusual to them.

Best way to determine your type is to read about the cognitive functions that back up those four letters it spits out at you and decide which ones you can really identify with. Usually the dominant and secondary function is what a person is most familiar using their whole life so when they read their descriptions they can easily understand and identify with them.

So...
ISFJ - introverted sensing dominant, extraverted feeling auxiliary - key defining features: these are conservative people with good attention to detail that strive to please others and mostly keep low profile preferring to avoid the spot-light, they may be overly sensitive to change
INFP - introverted feeling dominant, extraverted intuition auxiliary - key defining features: these are moody creative people for whom self-expression is very important, can be easily emotionally hurt and struggle with being more pragmatic in their approach to life

Functions described in more detail: http://greenlightwiki.com/lenore-exegesis/Function_Attitude

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tests are inaccurate. People take them sometimes answering questions thinking of what they would want to be like, instead of what they really are like, so end up testing as a wrong type. Some people take them when they are very stressed by life and so are acting out in a manner unusual to them.

Best way to determine your type is to read about the cognitive functions that back up those four letters it spits out at you and decide which ones you can really identify with. Usually the dominant and secondary function is what a person is most familiar using their whole life so when they read their descriptions they can easily understand and identify with them.

So...
ISFJ - introverted sensing dominant, extraverted feeling auxiliary - key defining features: these are conservative people with good attention to detail that strive to please others and mostly keep low profile preferring to avoid the spot-light, they may be overly sensitive to change
INFP - introverted feeling dominant, extraverted intuition auxiliary - key defining features: these are moody creative people for whom self-expression is very important, can be easily emotionally hurt and struggle with being more pragmatic in their approach to life

Functions described in more detail: Function Attitude
Vel. After reading up on both of the types, I see your points with the tests and completely agree with them. I can identify with INFP much more than ISFJ, especially after looking back on this summer and how it's affected me emotionally. That being said, I can identify with being different from other people now. That' something I've accepted. Liminality, I've thought about the questions and came up with answers as if it was second-nature to me. You were nice enough to ask, so I will share.

What does security mean for you? What does it mean to you?
Security to me means that I won't have to go out and defend what's mine, which to me, is myself and those I deeply care about's happiness. Knowing that my friends and family are happy helps make me happy.

What parts make you think there might be elements of ISFJ you can relate to? Is it just the reciprocation of emotion?

I like to be there for people, a lot. Probably because I see a lot wrong with people so I'd like to help them as much as I can. In fact, I would go so far as to say that I would do anything for someone that I believe in, which has its proof in my past actions. It is not the reciprocation of emotion, because what I do for others, although it has close to nothing to do with my emotional stand point, they may never do for me.
Could you expand on that? What do you mean by reciprocating emotion like a mirror when a friend comes your way? Do you find yourself having your own emotions bounced back at you, in a way, or is it more a case of becoming more expressive? Or something else?

I'm pretty sure that when people talk to me, they have one of two places to stand: the reciprocator or the conveyor. I'm usually the reciprocator, since a majority of my friends have views. When I do talk with people that don't have their own views, or are still life-longingly unaware (some just got out of high school, others are freshman, I'm a sophomore.) to make their own view points or opinions. Social leeches, I guess you could say. As for being more expressive, I don't really associate my feelings with anything socially, globally or politically unless there is a problem that I can help with in mind. I have to believe that they need my help, not necessarily that I need them to need my help. That sums it up, I'm an INFP, but I'll keep answering.

How about dealing with stress? How does it manifest, how do you deal with it?

Dealing wih stress. In relation to stress with other people, it only manifests when it's constantly brought up, but nothing's done about it. In relation to myself, it stresses me out until I arm myself with a way to conquer whatever problem keeps occuring. It's always knowledge, every time. What can I do to prevent this from happening? How can I improve this? That sort of method.

How about when you become unhealthy? What are you like then?

When I become unhealthy, I tend to treat myself like a dog that has not done anything to deserve that treat it wants. I keep things from myself until I do what I do I need to do.

Just a few questions, I don't know if you'll find an answer.
Before I get off track, I want to thank both of you for your help an inquiries relating to this subject. I really appreciate both of yours' help, it has benefited me more than a lot of other things have :laughing: .Till next time.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
First of all, don't stress too much on account of this. I do at times too, but a bit of a waste of time and i think MBTI can't capture at times the human nature completely.
I heard somewhere that there was a lot of preconceived ideas about INFPs that made them doubt if they were ISFJs, and personally, that could happen too with INTPs and ISTJs. Probably you're INFP, trust the results: i think we can resemble ISFJs a bit at times, but really, we're different from them.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
With regards to emotions - do you find yourself mostly going out of your way to keep others content, do you get stressed out a lot by conflict between people which does not involve you (this type of conflict can be anything from neighbors arguing to war somewhere in Africa), does your mind seem to function like it has an in-built people radar that is always tracking other people in your vicinity? do you have no problem telling others what to do and frequently feel the urge to do so even if you use words like please and thank you? Do you have very good attention to detail, any particular interest in subjects like history or biology or collecting items?

Or does your mind spend most of its time tracking its own emotional state? do you experience mood swings or have other people ever described you as having great emotional depth or moody? can you be very precise in expression of how you feel and frequently want to express how you feel about particular subjects to others? Are you very sympathetic instead of empathetic? Have you ever had tendencies to withdraw into your own dream world once in a while?

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
My values seem to contradict my thoughts for being an INFP as being an ISFJ. I do not see a need to serve others, only a desire to help them see truth, sometimes no matter how long it takes. In fact, I would have never realized this if my close friend hadn't pointed it out: After a bunch of drama was solved and dealt with, I seemed to have a problem with seemingly having no problems. Now that he mentioned it, I think that I put others before myself, but that doesn't seem to differentiate between INFP and ISFJ.
This sounds way more like an INFP than ISFJ. I've read that NF's in general can do the "have a problem with no problems" thing...they're idealistic and on a never-ending search to improve things in their own lives and society in general. That's much too intimidating for simple little ISFJ's. :wink: We just want to make people happy.:happy:

I know I'm generalizing here, but you're definitely striking me as more of an INFP than an ISFJ. However, like scarygirl said, sometimes there can be some strong similarities between the two types.

Reactions: Azure Bass

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
With regards to emotions - do you find yourself mostly going out of your way to keep others content, do you get stressed out a lot by conflict between people which does not involve you (this type of conflict can be anything from neighbors arguing to war somewhere in Africa), does your mind seem to function like it has an in-built people radar that is always tracking other people in your vicinity? do you have no problem telling others what to do and frequently feel the urge to do so even if you use words like please and thank you? Do you have very good attention to detail, any particular interest in subjects like history or biology or collecting items?

Or does your mind spend most of its time tracking its own emotional state? do you experience mood swings or have other people ever described you as having great emotional depth or moody? can you be very precise in expression of how you feel and frequently want to express how you feel about particular subjects to others? Are you very sympathetic instead of empathetic? Have you ever had tendencies to withdraw into your own dream world once in a while?
Hands down, I can relate more to the second paragraph that you stated. Although my mood swings follow a cause-and-effect method. I am sympathetic, but can become seemingly emotionally absent when connecting with another person, being empathetic. I can relate to being precise with expression, and how I feel about particular subjects and relaying it to others. I have to work on that. As for being sympathetic or empathetic, I really don't discern the difference. I just know that when others are feeling emotionally intense, I feel blinded on the inside, and do anything to help in 'the dark.' -- Just looked up the definition for both. I'm sympathetic, and if I ever cross to think about arts, I just hear music or something along those lines, either that or my feelings just become jumbled up and I get 'lost'. It's like a thick fog falling out of the sky, rather quickly, when you're wandering an open field whenever connecting with other people..Like I have a chance to run in their shoes. I do have tendencies to withdraw, or rather convey, into my own dream world once in awhile.

This sounds way more like an INFP than ISFJ. I've read that NF's in general can do the "have a problem with no problems" thing...they're idealistic and on a never-ending search to improve things in their own lives and society in general. That's much too intimidating for simple little ISFJ's. :wink: We just want to make people happy.:happy:

I know I'm generalizing here, but you're definitely striking me as more of an INFP than an ISFJ. However, like scarygirl said, sometimes there can be some strong similarities between the two types.
Aye..Teddy, I'm pretty sure you just established a difference I can relate with. I am a workaholic on the job, was an overachiever in high school, and am striving to make college work even through every single problem I have encountered. I'm pretty sure I'm an INFP now, too. Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Aye..Teddy, I'm pretty sure you just established a difference I can relate with. I am a workaholic on the job, was an overachiever in high school, and am striving to make college work even through every single problem I have encountered. I'm pretty sure I'm an INFP now, too. Thanks everyone.
It's interesting because ISFJ's and ISTJ's are known for being workaholics as well...SJ's in general can be. However, I think for SJ's, it tends to be more of a desire to just do a good job and put everything they have into it because it comes naturally. I don't think it's as much of a personal focus to be the best that they can be on a personal level as much, that's more of an NF trait.

I'm not saying this is true across the board, but I've noticed it some.

What makes you think you're not INFJ? I know they're known for being very focused and driven as well, and they usually do better in school than INFP's (again, generalizing here, you could still totally be INFP).

Reactions: Azure Bass

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's interesting because ISFJ's and ISTJ's are known for being workaholics as well...SJ's in general can be. However, I think for SJ's, it tends to be more of a desire to just do a good job and put everything they have into it because it comes naturally. I don't think it's as much of a personal focus to be the best that they can be on a personal level as much, that's more of an NF trait.

I'm not saying this is true across the board, but I've noticed it some.

What makes you think you're not INFJ? I know they're known for being very focused and driven as well, and they usually do better in school than INFP's (again, generalizing here, you could still totally be INFP).
I think I"m an INFP because I don't have a desire to always do a good job. Sure, I do a good job, but hey; I'm the most responsible of my social circle, and my partners on the job I do are all minors, while I'm 18. AS far as the workforce goes, I hold myself accountable to doin ga good job so my company's not stuck with a complete bunch of imbeciles on the workplace.

As far as school goes, I am a workaholic because I am expected to do a good job; which I don't get A's across the board, but I do appeal to my professors even though I get B's and C's. I'm willing to put forth the effort because where I'd like to go I'd like to be good at what I do. On the other side, I take on a lot of extracurriculars with my time in school. It just adds to the workload, but teaches me skills that I value in the process.

My close friend tells me that I just don't know how to turn off, and sometimes act like black jesus (sarcastic reference to a good friend which is overriden by INFP) and I completely agree. If the situation is dire enough, good friends come first over myself. That's my values at their best, though.

Also. I wouldn't just sit in a room and think "who needs my help today?" If someone needs my help, I'm more than glad to help them. I catch the need before they do sometimes. I'd rather raw a scenic picture, or play bass guitar as badly as I do. Or even pull out the pastels and draw something that seems to make no sense to others.

My point. I think I"m a dreamer because there's this part of me I've never embraced just yet. In addition to aggression, there are the arts. I do have things I can draw with about the arts, I just don't use them. It's like I'm waiting on something. But that's for a different topic. My point is that I think I'm an INFP because of the way my mind works, not the things I do for others.

Reactions: teddy564339
1 - 10 of 10 Posts