Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I while back I more or less settled on being an ISFP. However recent reflection and input from other users has me thinking I use Ne quite strongly, which an ISFP wouldn't. I've filled in some questionnaires (parts of them anyway, I took a few different ones and filled in the bits I could answer best). What are your thoughts on possible types or stand out functions?

1. Is there anything that may affect the way you answer the questions? For example, a stressful time, mental illness, medications, special life circumstances? Other useful information includes sex, age, and current state of mind.
Currently not in a stressful time, no mental illness, I'm a 20 year old female currently feeling relaxed (if a little bored).

2. Study these two images here and here. Which one do you prefer and why? How would you describe it?
The first image is of the sea at night. The first things that strike me are the colours and symmetry of the photo. The sea and wet sand is acting like a mirror so it reflects the deep blue night sky as well as the orange glow over the horizon and vivid green of the aurora borealis (or aurora australis I suppose it could be). Even the small waves mirror the angles of the wispy clouds in the sky. It looks very quiet and peaceful and I imagine taking this photo from on top of a cliff or sand dunes, surrounded by coastal plants like marram grass with a gentle, cool breeze making everything sway ever so slightly.

The second image is of a woman (a headless woman) eating a croissant and a coffee. I imagine she's having a late breakfast/brunch on a Sunday in early Autumn (judging by the dress she's wearing). Words like 'cozy', 'memory' and 'comfort' spring to mind. Whereas the first photo is cold and vivid, this one is neutral-warm and gentle. The colour scheme is very natural, whites and browns with some colour coming from accents of deep red, but even that is dulled and dusty. There's nothing vivid or overly eye catching about this photo. The croissant looks yummy. I would say it's not a very well composed photo, I can see what the photographer is trying to achieve in adding an apple (I think it's an apple? Something round and dark red anyway) to the scene to echo the same shade of red on the womans dress but it looks a bit random and could be better incorporated to the composition. Personally I would've shot this image at a different angle too...

I prefer the first image as I think it's better composed and it gives me a sense of being out in the open, it reminds me of what it's like to be stood on the edge of a cliff with a clear sky and sea and everything looks endless.

3. What kind of person would you LIKE to be? Why? What kind of person would you NOT want to be? Why?
I would like to be someone who is confident, has a calm energy to them (I think my energy comes across as nervous energy most of the time), has a clear idea of what they want to achieve, is consistent in the things they do and can work towards a goal without getting fed up of it half way through. In a word the person I want to be is strong.

I would not like to be timid and a pushover. Conversely I wouldn't want to be cruel and a bully either. I wouldn't want to be one of those people who lives so much in the moment they disregard the future, but neither would I want to live so much in the future I disregard the present moment. I also wouldn't want to be one of those pompous, up their own arse intellectuals who think they're better than everyone else.

4. Do you think there are any differences to how you described yourself and how people actually perceive you? How do you think others would describe you? If there are any discrepancies between these two that are you are aware of; do you know why exactly that is?
I think it really depends on who you ask as to what description you would get. Some would say I'm loud, some would say I'm quiet. Some would say I'm outgoing, some would say I'm intensely introverted. I've been called shy, confrontational, competitive, funny...I think the biggest influence is how long I've known someone. When I first meet someone, I make an effort to be bubbly, chatty and friendly however the longer I've known them the quieter I am as I know they won't think I'm ignoring them. I tend to be very changeable depending on the day, I think there are a few key points to my personality that are consistent but the rest seem to change to my environment. A lot of what is consistent is internal so from an outside perspective I probably seem very unpredictable

5. Please describe yourself when you are in a stressful situation?
It depends- is this stressful as in a crisis or extended periods of pressure? In a crisis I’m pretty good but during long periods of stress I just shut down and retreat. I often use fiction (books and TV and films) to distract myself from stresses and have a very vivid imagination so can carry this escapism into my regular activities through daydreams. I reckon if I could piece together the jumble of daydreams and ideas (and had an ounce of patience!) then I’d be a decent author.

6. Describe your relationship to socialization. How do you perceive one-on-one interaction? How do you perceive group interaction?
It’s an interesting one. I tend to seek out one-on-one interactions but like group settings so I can retreat from the conversation when I want to and things don’t get awkward. I’m not great at sustaining conversation. I very rarely have conversations as a group. If I had to choose between the two then I’d choose one-on-one. That’s my approach to relationships in general- I tend to come and go, don’t make much of an effort to hold on to friendships, I easily make new ones in a new place but don’t feel any kind of attachment to those people. That’s reserved for close family and pets.
I often feel a random need to withdraw from people. I HATE feeling trapped or obligated to do things. This is getting away from the question but one of the stand out things in my personality is how changeable I am. Wanting to do one thing one day, another the next. I think I am actually very fickle and flighty and have to force myself not to give into those urges or else I’d get nowhere in life. I tend to have all these ideas on things I COULD do, things that LOOK fun and I could be successful at and happy doing…but once it gets real, once I have to start making commitments, I suddenly no longer want to do it because I think ‘what if I’m missing out on something better? What if this isn’t as great as I thought?’ and then I want to run away and start over with something new.
Actually being a author appeals to me because when you write, you can write about anything, essentially BE anyone and do anything you like. Then when you feel like it you can just snap out of it, try something new. I think that’s why I retreat into fiction when I’m stressed as well- because I can become immersed in another life, be someone else, with different problems.

7. Describe your relationship to society. What are the elements of it you hold important or unimportant (e.g. social norms, values, customs, traditions)? How do you see people as a whole?
I tend to fit in with society. I find people that do weird things to stand out annoying and I try not to be too judgemental but to be perfectly honest I am a little wary of people who don’t fit with the standard of ‘normal’. I would never say anything horrible against them though, appearances can be deceiving. Just because someone looks scary doesn’t mean they don’t have a heart of gold. Likewise just because someone looks nice doesn’t mean they are. I’m being truthful in saying my knee-jerk reaction is to distrust things that don’t fit with the norm but I always remind myself to be tolerant and that I’m in no place to judge when I don’t know anything about a person. As a whole? I find people annoying, but tend to like them okay as individuals

8. Describe your relationship to authority. How do you perceive authority? What does it mean to you, and how do you deal with it?
Authority is just people. They have families, lives, ambitions and faliures, fears and history. I often find myself talking to people in authority as equals (although far more politely and less casually than I would a close friend). I don’t just automatically respect someone although often to be in a position of authority they have earned it. That doesn’t stop the occasions when people abuse their position of power though. I am respectful towards people in authority but not scared of them nor do I always think they’re right. And I get annoyed when they try and use their position to make me do things in a ‘you should do this because I told you to and I’m above you’ kinda way

9. What is it that you fear in life? Why? How does this fear manifest to you both in how you think and how you act?
Never feeling content and happy. I often experience a feeling of restlessness and it manifests in my reluctance to commit to things for fear of missing out on something better or more enjoyable. I’m also scared to commit to things because I don’t want to feel stuck or trapped in them.
I’m also very anxious of the unknown. Especially when it comes to new places and travel, I spend weeks making travel plans, making sure times and finances are sorted, thinking what could go wrong and how I could prepare in case that happens, looking at station layouts etc etc. I tend to be drawn to the same places and what’s familiar.

SCENARIO QUESTIONNAIRE

SCENARIO 1

FOCUS ON YOUR FEELING PROCESS HERE

You are in college and this semester both you and your roommate end up in the same class together. You and your roommate get along fairly well and the living situation works but you aren't particularly close. You both typically do your own thing and are rather indifferent to each other. As the semester progresses you excel and become one of the top students in the class whereas your roommate is struggling significantly to grasp the material. The professor assigns a fairly challenging take home test that is a significant portion of your grade. He/she makes it clear that while it is open book, students are to work alone. Later your roommate comes to you begging for help after struggling with the test most of the weekend. You have already completed the assignment and he/she isn't asking to copy your answers, just to help tutor and mentor them as they struggle to complete the test, so there is no way your professor would ever know. However, this is the first time your room-mate has asked you for help this semester. He/she makes it clear that how they do on this test could mean the difference between passing and failing this class.

- How do you respond to your roommate’s request and why?

I help them. Them succeeding isn’t going to affect how well I’ve done in my own work, the tutor isn’t going to find out if we don’t tell them, they don’t want to cheat (to be honest even if they did want to cheat, providing the grades were simply a percent and over a certain percentage was a first etc etc and it wasn’t on a curve, I wouldn’t really give a damn if they cheated as long as we didn’t get caught. Uni/college is a load of b*llocks anyway!). Plus it’s the first time they’ve asked, it’s not as if they’ve been asking me to do their work all semester. It’s one test that could make them fail the semester and I’m not an all-knowing genius- somewhere along the line there’ll probably be something I’m struggling with or behind on and they’ll be more inclined to help me if I help them on this occasion.

- What sort of things in this scenario stand out to you as far as having a strong influence on your decision making and why?
Well the difference between passing and failing was the major one (if I were in their position I’d really really want someone to help me)! As well as this being the first time they’ve asked, making it an exception rather than their general behaviour.

- Describe the flow of your decision making process.
Will it affect my grade? – How important is the test? – Will we get caught? – Will it have any future benefits for me?

SCENARIO 2

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your boss calls you into his/her office in order to assign you to a new project. He/she gives you a choice between two.

Project 1 is a rather broad, expansive project covering multiple areas of company operations. It has the potential to have a very significant impact on company operations but it would require a collective effort and an extensive amount of group work where you would be logically thinking through the project together with the group of individuals your boss has also assigned to it.

Project 2 has a much more specific and narrow focus and would require a significant amount of in depth individual analysis to work through the problem. You would be working alone and the completion of the project may or may not have much impact on company operations. However, after complete the process and problem you were working on will be streamlined and fundamentally understood.

- Which project appeals to you the most, as it relates to the way you prefer to logically process information? Why?
Project 1 as I can look at how all different departments are affected, rather than just tunnelling deep into one specific area

- What sort of things in this scenario, across either project, stood out to you as having a strong influence on your decision? Why?
Project 1 appealed to me as I wouldn’t be stuck studying the same thing and could have a bit of variety, as well as not having to look too deeply into any of the subject matters. It also has the most impact, why would I spend a load of time and energy doing something that isn’t going to have much of an effect? The only thing that doesn’t appeal to me is the collaboration bit as in group work people rarely pull equal weight and there’s almost always someone that lets the team down

SCENARIO 3

FOCUS ON YOUR LOGIC AND THINKING PROCESS HERE

Your college professor has assigned you to a group project with 3 other individuals. All 3 of these individuals have a good strong work ethic and desire to contribute to the overall success of this project. You are at the first meeting of your group and the other members are tossing around valuable ideas as to the nature and direction of this project.

- Describe your behavior in this situation as you process and think about the ideas they are presenting.

I’d sit back and listen to their ideas, maybe write a few down and from their ideas start building up a bigger picture, maybe mix some ideas together, tweak them based on my own opinion then once I had a clear idea of what we should do I’d share it with the group

- Describe what major influences drive this behavior.
I like to have a clear idea of what I’m doing before I start doing it. I’m also really bad at staring projects (too many ideas and possibilities) but if someone gets the ball rolling then I can happily take charge (and often do!) and finish the project really well.

SCENARIO 4

FOCUS ON THE SOURCES YOU DRAW NON-PHYSICAL ENERGY FROM HERE

It has been a very long week and you feel mentally and emotionally drained, but good news! It is Saturday and you have nothing significant that needs to be done. You FINALLY have some free time to yourself to recharge your batteries and do whatever you want.

- Describe what sort of activities would help you to recharge. What would you enjoy doing after a long week and why?
Either just spending the day in bed in my pyjamas, eating junk food and reading/watching films or going for a walk in the countryside away from all my stress. Forests, moorlands, mountains or the coast…it all soothes me but makes me feel energetic at the same time.

- What sort of things do you feel you draw non-physical energy from doing?
Nature and beautiful things. They make me feel inspired to create and feel less stressed.

SCENARIO 5

FOCUS ON THINKING VS FEELING HERE

You have a meeting with your college career counselor to discuss potential careers that interest you. He/she offers you a list of the following careers and asks you to pick your TOP 3. He/she asks you to take money out of the equation. Imagine all of these careers received equal compensation. Focus instead on where you would truly feel most happy and fulfilled.

Artist, Scientist, Actor, Engineer, Musician, Lawyer, Counselor, Entrepreneur, Teacher, Manager, Psychologist, Computer Programmer / Analyst, Clergy, Child Care, Medical Doctor

- What were your top 3 choices and what aspects of these careers appeal to you?

1. Artist- because I’m good at art and naturally drawn to aesthetic things (read: I'm very shallow :L of all y values I think aesthetics is probably right up there at the top). I’d have to be freelance rather than commission though.

2. Psychologist- I’m pretty good at understanding people (although the need for a degree puts me off- my friend does a psychology degree and the degree looks dull).

3. Teacher- none of the others appeal to me and in theory being a teacher is very rewarding (however I’m pretty sure the reality is that is stressful and a lot of work to be underpayed for such an important job). I also feel like my own school experience pushed me towards a path I didn’t want to take and there wasn’t much consideration towards what would make the students happy (just how we needed to get good grades to beat the other local schools in the league tables) and if I were to become a teacher I’d be a bit more sensitive to the fact that just because a kid is intelligent it doesn’t mean they have to become a doctor or lawyer. Or if a kid is good a sport but struggles with more academic things, they shouldn’t just be labelled as ‘athletic but dumb’. Although I think I’d want to treat the kids as individuals more than large classes would allow.

- Was it difficult or easy to pick only 3 and why?
It was easy, most of those careers didn’t really appeal.

- Prioritize the aspects of your career choices that influenced your decision, what things mattered most to you
Enjoyment was first (why I picked artist as no 1) and fulfilment was second. A job might be tough but if I can find justification for it then I could stick with the training and day-to-day struggles. One of the difficulties I have in life is that if I don’t see the point of something then I struggle to do it and see it as a waste of time. I had difficulties in school/uni because of this.

·
Banned
5,331 Posts
Is this a fair enough assessment of how other people see you?

You are usually lively, gregarious, and sociable, with a large circle of friends. You are interested in almost everything and bring a zest to life that draws people to you. At the same time, you value depth and authenticity in your close relationships and direct great energy to creating and supporting open and honest communication.

You hate routine, schedules, and structure, and usually manage to avoid them. You are verbally fluent, even in extemporaneous situations. However, when your deepest values need expression, you may suddenly become awkward and express your opinions with uncharacteristic intensity.
Does this resonate?

You tend to be warmly enthusiastic about many kinds of leisure activities, including imaginative play possibilities that go beyond the conventional. You are often active and people focused in sports and gatherings. You may appreciate art and be an amateur performer. You need lots of stimulation and try to bring elements of play into your work. Leisure options for you may include reading fiction, playing an instrument, acting in civic theater, writing poetry or songs, attending performances and films, and dancing.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this a fair enough assessment of how other people see you?

You are usually lively, gregarious, and sociable, with a large circle of friends. You are interested in almost everything and bring a zest to life that draws people to you. At the same time, you value depth and authenticity in your close relationships and direct great energy to creating and supporting open and honest communication.

You hate routine, schedules, and structure, and usually manage to avoid them. You are verbally fluent, even in extemporaneous situations. However, when your deepest values need expression, you may suddenly become awkward and express your opinions with uncharacteristic intensity
No, I would say lively and gregarious is the exception (when I'm hyper, which is a good but draining experience) rather than my day to day state. I'm not particularly social and have a very small circle of friends (but I wouldn't say they were particularly deep connections. Middle ground- they know me better than a shallow acquaintance would, for example). I do have an interest in many things although my interests tend to come and go. Only a few have stuck with me (the main ones being art, photography and fitness). I am big into honest and open communication though, I agree with it on that point.

I actually quite like routine, I fall into my own daily routine naturally. I hated working shifts when I worked in retail because there wasn't any routine, I would be working different times each week and wouldn't know very long in advance when I was working so it was hard to plan my time around work. When it comes to structure...I think it's important as long as no one is breathing down my neck over it. I am very much NOT verbally fluent! In an email I can be very eloquent but when it comes to speaking I'm just awful.

Does this resonate?

You tend to be warmly enthusiastic about many kinds of leisure activities, including imaginative play possibilities that go beyond the conventional. You are often active and people focused in sports and gatherings. You may appreciate art and be an amateur performer. You need lots of stimulation and try to bring elements of play into your work. Leisure options for you may include reading fiction, playing an instrument, acting in civic theater, writing poetry or songs, attending performances and films, and dancing.
I think warm enthusiasm is a good way to describe it. Not sure what entirely is intended by 'imaginative play possbilities that go beyond the conventional' though! My hobbies are pretty generic (drawing, swimming, TV). In sport I'm generally more goal focused and at social gatherings I'm generally more... 'is it time to go home' focused...I appreciate the skill of art but am absolutely not a performer of any kind. I guess I do need a fair bit of stimulation or I get bored. As for those leisure activities, I DO enjoy fiction and taught myself to play the piano but I have never (nor ever ever had any interest in) acting, poetry, performance or dance (I did take dance lessons when I was a kid and apparently I was good technically but just didn't have the freedom or emotion in it. I was always more interested in it as a means to keep physically fit and I did actually try the dance society when I first started uni but I don't really 'get' it. Like with swimming or running, you aim to improve your times, get faster. There's clear goals. With dance...you're just moving around a room?)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok here I am!
Taking a quick look, what was that particularly made you doubt ISFP?
I see definitely a lot of Fi here, so much I would say it's in the dominant position, and you didn't even consider logic a lot, I'd say that this puts Te as an inferior function!

The problem, now, is to decide between INFP and ISFP!
I watched some time ago a very good video, IMO, don't know what other members think about it, or if it's professional enough, I'll link it

Let me know what you think about it!

There was a passage were you mentioned that you won't live too much into the present to miss the future, while you'd like not to be focused too much on the future to discard the present, I think that is some kind of struggle deriving by S - N functions in the middle (I'd say, especially based on what you said in the other paragraphs, something deriving from a Se - Ni contrast as Aux/Tert functions, but don't take it for granted!)

So, to wrap it up, I see definitely Fi there pretty high in the stack (especially about this strong need of independence and not being caged up in circumstances) and I would say ISFP was a good type, but, again, I kinda suck at this and I'm still learning xD
Hope it helped! Lemme know how's it going your self-discovery!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
@KillinIt

"I tend to fit in with society. I find people that do weird things to stand out annoying and I try not to be too judgemental but to be perfectly honest I am a little wary of people who don’t fit with the standard of ‘normal’. I would never say anything horrible against them though, appearances can be deceiving. Just because someone looks scary doesn’t mean they don’t have a heart of gold. Likewise just because someone looks nice doesn’t mean they are. I’m being truthful in saying my knee-jerk reaction is to distrust things that don’t fit with the norm but I always remind myself to be tolerant and that I’m in no place to judge when I don’t know anything about a person."

Open-minded Sensor.

"I HATE feeling trapped or obligated to do things. This is getting away from the question but one of the stand out things in my personality is how changeable I am. Wanting to do one thing one day, another the next. I think I am actually very fickle and flighty and have to force myself not to give into those urges or else I’d get nowhere in life. I tend to have all these ideas on things I COULD do, things that LOOK fun and I could be successful at and happy doing…but once it gets real, once I have to start making commitments, I suddenly no longer want to do it because I think ‘what if I’m missing out on something better? What if this isn’t as great as I thought?’ and then I want to run away and start over with something new."

Perceiver (with slightly unhealthy tendencies but overall you seem in control - I guess the "unhealthy" seems normal for a 20 year old actually lol).

I still don't see Feeling much... so xSTP, and I still think ESTP>ISTP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts