Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I typically think and think about all things that has to with people and there reactions to things. Since I was a child i can remember I always thought "well I say this or do this then I'll get in trouble, but If I say it this way then I won't get in trouble." Little things like this I tend to think about and I always do things and expecting an outcome and I'm usually right about it not always, but like 90% of time I am. I have whole conversation and scenarios playing in head and looking at outcomes. I do things like if I'm in class and I don't want to be called on I look as if I'm working on something (the problem or notes etc.) and then I won't get called on. This is one of my many things that I do.

So my question is do any of you INFJs do this?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Absolutely! Predicting how the current "audience" will perceive my words or actions and adjusting accordingly is a big part of keeping everyone happy. I have no idea how often I'm right though, as by the time I've finished working out the best response the moment has past :sad:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yes all the time :p I just do it automatically when I am talking or writing to someone, anyone.
And also for things that are not related to people, like planning my day out, making sure I have several fall-backs in case one way doesn't work out (and also coming up with why it doesn't work out).

I read it's just the way infj works. Introverted thinking when together with Ni + Fe

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I was told by a mentor during a series of mentoring session that I seem to always run everything I say through a extra mental check before I say it. I got this description of a subgroup of INFJs from a website
This is also because while they are talking, they are often running what they are going to say through Ti in real time, just to make sure everything is locally coherent.
and I think it is part of it. I'm also checking that what I say will likely be received and understood as intended and if necessary mentally re-phrase myself before speaking.

When writing, I'm either even worse about it, or just simply give up and post whatever comes out as I type, because I just don't have the energy to do the checking. But then I would feel guilty and bad about myself for being so lazy and relying on plain luck to get the communication right instead of trying to perfect it.

I can well identify with asmit127...

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
I typically think and think about all things that has to with people and there reactions to things. Since I was a child i can remember I always thought "well I say this or do this then I'll get in trouble, but If I say it this way then I won't get in trouble." Little things like this I tend to think about and I always do things and expecting an outcome and I'm usually right about it not always, but like 90% of time I am. I have whole conversation and scenarios playing in head and looking at outcomes. I do things like if I'm in class and I don't want to be called on I look as if I'm working on something (the problem or notes etc.) and then I won't get called on. This is one of my many things that I do.

So my question is do any of you INFJs do this?
This isn't just what many INFJ's do. This is what ALL INFJ's. It's basically what defines us. It's our Ni and Fe in action. We basically make great liars, though that doesn't necessarily mean we lie all the time. We omit details vigorously though. Not the same! :tongue:

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I read somewhere that INFJs don't ask questions they don't know the answer to. I forgot where and I forgot how it was exactly phrased. But looking back, it can be true. I predict the different outcomes, and I try to find a way to phrase something to anticipate a certain outcome. I "strategize" ahead of time, so that I almost know where the conversation is headed, or at least where I want it to head.

Note though, I don't predict and strategize about changing someone's feelings - this stuff, I am bad at. I'm okay though with figuring out how to best phrase or ask something.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with what everyone is saying. I totally do think and think before I speak, but still people find it hard to understand what I'm saying. I'm not really good at explaining myself. I don't really lie if I do its for an important reason, but still I typically don't.

Do you think the things we do can be taken as playing mind games with people?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts