Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stack of nonfiction that I will be reading over the summer and I'm sure there will be more added to it. Now I've been thinking about taking notes as I read and I was debating on wether or not this would be a waste of time. I don't have a particularly bad memory but I do seem to remember things better and for a longer time when I do write some thoughts out. This isn't for school or for work it's just me wanting to learn more things and possibly figure out what I want to do for the rest of my life. May as well just call it a hobby of mine. What do you think?

·
Registered
647 Posts
My suggestion would be to read this book:

How to Read a Book

Despite it's over simplistic title, it explains how to get the most out of reading non-fiction. It's amazing and completely changed the way I read. I've had it for 10 years and I still pull it out and review it sometimes.

·
Heretic
ESI 5w4 9w8 2w1
10,691 Posts

How to Read a Book

Despite it's over simplistic title, it explains how to get the most out of reading non-fiction. It's amazing and completely changed the way I read. I've had it for 10 years and I still pull it out and review it sometimes.
Nice!
This is going to help me too! :)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Note-taking is worth it if it helps retain your memory IMO, especially with nonfiction. As long as you make them concise the benefits should outweigh the time consumption.

Reactions: sBel90

·
Registered
796 Posts
Myth: There is never an inappropriate time to take notes.
Fact: There is never a time when note-taking is a bad thing, regardless of how inappropriate it is.

So take the notes. ​All of them.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
@SaltySacChad Hey sounds good. I've tried it before, got tired and gave up. Don't force yourself to do it when you get sick of it. What I would do is keep a journal where I record all of my thoughts of what I read and how it relates to my life or the real world.

·
Registered
647 Posts
@SaltySacChad Hey sounds good. I've tried it before, got tired and gave up. Don't force yourself to do it when you get sick of it. What I would do is keep a journal where I record all of my thoughts of what I read and how it relates to my life or the real world.
The problem with this approach is that your notes won't always reflect what the text actually says, only how it made you feel and how you applied it at that point in time.

It really depends on the depth of study you want to do. I'm a bit OCD about my notes because I read books in groups by topic and make comparisons between them.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
The problem with this approach is that your notes won't always reflect what the text actually says, only how it made you feel and how you applied it at that point in time.
Which is why I love annotating fiction, because that's what's interesting to read from myself later.

Righteous Anger: A Crash Course Via Ancient Literature: THE SUITOOOORSSSS (Odyssey)

The freeloading jerks!
You licentious pigs!
SHUT UP just shut up
YOU LIAR shut up now shut up
SHUT YOUR FACE
You dishonest cheating SCUM
[We fear no man,] You will fear the gods!
[kings might as well be tyrannical butchers] Or lying, cheating sacks of-
*after a suitor wishes death on fav character/Telemachus* YOU DID NOT
[These men will plot to have you [Telemachus] killed by treachery] THEY BETTER NOT

·
Registered
647 Posts
@Owfin,

That was incredibly funny. :laughing:

Reactions: Owfin

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
I find taking notes helps me retain information, so if you want to know the book well it's a good idea! It can take a lot longer to read a book though, and with fiction it might lose the escapism factor it's designed to have!

·
Registered
402 Posts
I think that you should trust INTJ's above all, hahaha.
Don't take notes, they ARE a waste of time. just train your memory, everything will be easier.

I trained my memory by memorizing about 100 pages of the most complex book I own, after that it was just reading something for one time and I memorize it.

I did this in contrast to me not memorizing details, which is a trait of the INTJ I guess. This helped a lot.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I think that you should trust INTJ's above all, hahaha.
Don't take notes, they ARE a waste of time. just train your memory, everything will be easier.

I trained my memory by memorizing about 100 pages of the most complex book I own, after that it was just reading something for one time and I memorize it.

I did this in contrast to me not memorizing details, which is a trait of the INTJ I guess. This helped a lot.
Asking an iStj to not memorize details (no matter how minute) is like asking them to stop breathing.

·
Registered
992 Posts

How to Read a Book

I always laugh when I see the name of that hyperlink. Otherwise, I always take notes when they are presented and read them later to refresh. I have an ok memory, but I'd like to be even better still. Learning is mentally stimulating, can be annoying when I'm not ready for it though.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
I usually write notes in the margins of books. It helps when I go back to read them at a future date, and it provides a sort of time capsule for how I thought when I read it. I like to write things like paraphrasing of what the author said (pithy statements are a specialty of mine), words of shock or surprise to attract my attention later (Wow, I can't believe! is something that's gone in some books, for example), and general thoughts as sort of mental bookmarks (What did he mean here?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts