Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering how many INFPs have found that most of the reading they do is non-fiction material?

I do read a lot, and I enjoy fiction books, but it usually takes a particular circumstance, unless I consciously make the decision to crack it open to finally finish it (been "reading" The Bell Jar forever). Whereas I go to the Library with the intention of getting one book, and I wander through the non-fiction section and end up with three or four instead.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
i have equal attention to fiction and non-fiction equally, what's the main selling point in reading anything is the absurdity, craziness, surreal, and the eye opening qualities of the book. but typically i try and keep it with non-fiction, as that's where the bread and butter of the world is to be had when searching for something interesting in light of ignorance on whatever subject.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I've only recently started to wander into the non-fiction section in the library/book store. I've always read fantasy/sci-fi, historical fiction, and books that can transport me to a different world and time. I've used books and reading as a way to escape the here and now. Lately, I have not needed that as much and so I have been able to read some non-fiction, especially as related to mental-illness.

Reactions: amethyst_butterfly

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm pretty much a non-fiction reader. I just want to know more and more about things and how they emotionally affect me. My life and the history that came before it is the best story I could come up with

·
Registered
183 Posts
I favour fiction a lot. There's absolutely no limit to stretching your imagination to the extreme when it comes to fiction books. I try to read non fiction but i get bored really soon. I don't know whether that's a sign of immaturity or I just hate the real world so much. The only time I have ever read non fiction books are biographies of certain artists like Yanni, Marilyn Manson etc. Similar to the fiction world, these people have also stretched the limits to people's imagination in the real world. I find stuff like that really interesting.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I mainly read non-fiction books with an informational/science/art/psychology slant. I've never actually gotten into fiction books for some reason. I mean, I find some of it very fascinating...it's just..........there's been so much fiction in my head for so many years, that non-fiction books help keep me grounded sometimes, lol. I like fiction books that have real-life application, allegorical fiction that I can learn from.

·
Registered
101 Posts
After reading nothing but fiction for my literature classes, I don't think I will ever be able to return. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with fiction I'm just burnt out. Being the history buff that I am I can't seem to get enough of non-fiction

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
Mostly non-fiction for me. Even the fiction I read has to depict real life fairly accurately and meaningfully (romances, adversity set in past centuries). There might be a general 4w5 non-fiction preference.

·
Registered
752 Posts
^lol Firagaaa.

I prefer fiction one hundred fold. I have nothing against non-fiction, but I find it easier to immerse myself in a imaginary world that's more or less completely different from earth. Fiction can be pretty crazy and weird sometimes, but I find that it can teach you a lot about life and other qualities in a completely different way that you may or may not expect. It's unique.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I mainly read non-fiction books with an informational/science/art/psychology slant. I've never actually gotten into fiction books for some reason. I mean, I find some of it very fascinating...it's just..........there's been so much fiction in my head for so many years, that non-fiction books help keep me grounded sometimes, lol. I like fiction books that have real-life application, allegorical fiction that I can learn from.
This is the reason for me, too, I think. I just spoke to my friend yesterday about what I like about fiction (which is what started this thread), and I said I had a problem with not reading fiction because I like what you can interpret from it, and what things in the book can symbolize to you or relate back to yourself somehow.

I've been trying to read some unfinished fiction books, though, because before I read non-fiction I didn't read a lot. I do get immersed into the story when I read fiction, and I read for a while, but then it sits under my non-fiction books for the next few months. :sad:

·
MOTM Dec 2012
12,239 Posts
mostly non-fiction. but i love fiction because it opens the door to my imagination.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I read little other except fiction in the context of books. Despite the institutionalised "writing structure" I find that non-fiction can follow an "anything goes" role where everything and anything is possible where the imagination permits.

I can stay grounded entirely with boredom or fatalism, I don't need non-fiction material for that. It's really only non-fiction if I'm currently more interested in academic pursuits.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I have not read much of non-fiction. I love the fictional world so much more. I don't want to read about "reality" in a way if that makes sense (probably not), I love the fantasy or the made up thing that fiction has for some reason so much.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I like both but i tend to read Fiction more. When i read Non-fiction it's usually on the internet and shorter. non-fiction isn'tas deep, cause unless it a biography they don't go deep into emotions, Fiction is alot more first hand and i generally like that

·
Registered
917 Posts
More often than not I find there are more good non-fiction books opposed to fiction. But a good fiction book when I find it is much more satisfying.

I love a book that takes a deep look at life, and follows important aspects of life. I also like one that helps you better understand the relationships you have with other people.

I just love finishing a book and that I feel so moved by it that it makes me think about life differently, or helps my outlook in a positive way. I also enjoy that it takes a new look at society that I never thought about.

·
Registered
72 Posts
More often than not I find there are more good non-fiction books opposed to fiction. But a good fiction book when I find it is much more satisfying.

I love a book that takes a deep look at life, and follows important aspects of life. I also like one that helps you better understand the relationships you have with other people.
I relate to what you say. I think that diaries and autobiographies are ideal for that, and also more poignant than fiction, as you know that it actually happened. I'm now reading the diaries of Anaïs Nin and find them really fascinating.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Both! As long as they're both great reads and are eye-opening, then I'll read it. :)

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
I prefer to read non-fiction books such as self-help books and physchology books. When I was in higschool I read the lord of the rings trilogy. I think that is the only fiction book that I enjoy reading. I also read other romance novels. Now for some reason I am not interested in reading fictions books that much and all I want to read is books that can help understand myself and others better and improve myself.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I see this is an old resurrected thread, but I'm happy to hear there are lots of non-fiction readers here, because it wasn't until college that I started to appreciate fiction or read fiction for my own pleasure. I go in and out of phases with fiction but I'm always into non-fiction. Its a stereotype of INFP's to be 'bookish' so I was wondering if I was abnormal for not always being glued to a novel. I guess not! :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts