Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm oldish and when I was a kid there were no personal computers, imagine that.

I was consumed by reading... anything I could get my hands on. Even when I was out roaming the town I lived in or playing sports, I still had a book in my back pocket. I was reading things way out of my league or comprehension, Ayn Rand at 6 years of age for example. By the time I made it to grade school I had already consumed every single book that was required reading, right up to Grade 12. So yeah I was freakish about books and acquiring information about the world around me.

Jump ahead several decades, and I still read like a fiend, but in a different way...endless magazine and online articles, covering all my hobbies and interests. But I can't seem to sit down and read an actual book anymore. I joined a book club for a year a few years ago and spent more time dating it's participants than reading.

It scares me, books were once my good friends. HBO, AMC, being online like now, movies, walking, sports, hobbies, bars, parties, friends, falling asleep when trying to read in bed, have all killed off books.

How often do you all take the time to read books? Besides required school texts, actual books read for pleasure.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ayn Rand by 6?!?! Damn.

I agree with what you said about everything killing books. I hate that, and I try to read books... I can't say often, but I do. I read maybe three books a year, on average. I love reading. I love it a lot. I just... the damn computer gets me. At least I read stuff while I'm on it?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I read books every now and then. I mean, I have tons to choose from too. Basically when I get bored from the laptop is when I read for pleasure. And if the book is interesting enough I might just stay away from the computer. At least they are trying to save trees nowadays though:

I wonder if those things can do any damage to your eyes...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Luckily the beast called TV has little power over me.

Unluckily the one called Internet does.

Luckily I read stuff all the time in said internet.

Luckily I still LOVE to read books

unluckily I hardly have time to do entertainment reading at the moment. Right now I'm reading [stalled on] the second book of the wheel of time. Great series so far.

As a younger kid I read every book I could get my hands on. I loved reading. I read my first 1000 page book in elem school. But I am totally addicted to it and cannot control it once I start a good book. During such a time my social interactions drop off a cliff as well as time dedicated to studying.

I'm incredibly jealous of you, I would honestly love to grow up in a time before computers, where books were more...prevalent...ore at least more in the forefront.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^ excellent.

The internet seems to be the common denominator for us all. I tell myself the same thing, well at least its reading and I'm saving trees, but I still get this odd feeling about it.

My brother is a high school english/history teacher, an entj. He doesn't own a cell phone, is rarely on the net. Whenever I see him he always eventually mentions that he averages 5 books a week. Literary classics from around the world. I pretend not to hear him and change the subject, but later his words always make me feel a jealous/guilt combo. I remind myself that yeah but I know way more stuff about the world today than he does, and what's going down, because I've never missed a day of Digg. I've seen all the cool movies and know of endless obscure foreign flicks. But when the dust settles within my rationalizing brain, I feel like he's on the righteous path and I'm on the cheap thrills addhd crack path.

·
Registered
470 Posts
My brother is a high school english/history teacher, an entj. He doesn't own a cell phone, is rarely on the net. Whenever I see him he always eventually mentions that he averages 5 books a week. Literary classics from around the world. I pretend not to hear him and change the subject, but later his words always make me feel a jealous/guilt combo. I remind myself that yeah but I know way more stuff about the world today than he does, and what's going down, because I've never missed a day of Digg. I've seen all the cool movies and know of endless obscure foreign flicks. But when the dust settles within my rationalizing brain, I feel like he's on the righteous path and I'm on the cheap thrills addhd crack path.
Oh my goodness. I don't even know him and still feel incredibly intimidated.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haha, being an entj , he'd love to hear that !

Interesting tidbit of info. " Fahrenheit 451" is popularly believed to be about the evils of book burning and state censorship, but it's not what the author Ray Bradbury intended. When he wrote the book , TV was rapidly emerging and he felt that it was destroying people's interest in reading literature, and it upset him greatly, the people were the bad guys not the state.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Sad to say, I never read books (regardless of required text from University :D).

Throughout my life I've probably read maybe 3 books from beginning to end.
One was "Ender's Game"
NumBa Two was "The Art of War"
3 was "The Peaceful Warrior"
-
Rarely do authors have a writing style that captivates me enough to keep reading beyond a few pages (if that). Additionally, it's rare there will be a topic that I can actually spend a few hours completely focused on.

For general reading, I prefer opinion pieces from non-experts (ie: forum users), the kind of people you will interact with in the everyday world. Some thoughts may be naive and not well thought out, but that's sometimes what makes it interesting. In the same breath, I generally only like quick and to the point type of writing. So magazine articles are usually optimal for me, I like to think I can fill in the blanks for anything that's not specifically mentioned.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Occasionally I will pull out a book from the library and start reading it...but of course, I wind up not finishing it by the time it's due. I think part of this is due to not having a good source of light in my bedroom...at any rate, I still do read a lot of fiction on the internet.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
whoa, ayn rand at 6. i began harry potter at 5 but that’s not nearly as impressive and i probably didn’t understand half of what i was reading. in the fourth grade my class was required to take a standardized reading test that deemed my reading comprehension at "beyond" twelfth grade levels, whatever that means. university level??? yeah right, bs reading test. regardless, i'm still rather bamboozled by this as i was definitely never some kind of child prodigy and was/is an average math student. i dunno.
i’ll counteract this horn-tooting by informing you of my current dismal math mark: 52%. yes! i am sew smrt. this neanderthal can’t do high school math. anyway:
i kept scoring way beyond average in language arts. after a bizarre parent teacher conference wherein my excited fourth grade teacher unsuccessfully attempted to persuade my parents to let me skip a grade, i was handed the lord of the rings box set. the rest is history.
loljk, i hated lord of the rings and to this day find it mundane. sorry if lotr is your thing.
hmm, i don’t know how to put this. i do like to read, but i don’t tend like escapist fiction, if that’s the right term. i think i heard it in class once but wasn't really paying attention so i'm probably misusing it. i don’t like storytelling for the sake of storytelling, or books written solely to amuse the reader. they're fun once in a while but they're not my favourite. i like reading weird books. the kind someone could read over and over but never pinpoint the true meaning. i really like haruki murakami. then again, i lent my friend a book of his called kafka on the shore which she affectionately deemed "the most godawful piece of 'literature' i've ever read" so i don't know if my opinion on books counts for much. :B
alas, since my acquisition of this laptop i haven’t (voluntarily) touched a book for a good 4 months. oops. maybe i should pick up kafka on the shore again.
i don’t know why i typed all that. oh well. the end.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
When I was younger and there weren't any computers around I pretty much ate books. Now things are different: I gather most of the information I need to fulfill my curiosity-addiction from the internet. Sometime ago I did read a lot of graphic novels and I just ordered all of the stuff by Kafka just to get back into books again. I then remembered that I love reading books; it is my computer that eats away my reading time. Most of the time I do read is on the train... To bottes: I enjoy Murakami!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Luckily the beast called TV has little power over me.

Unluckily the one called Internet does.

Luckily I read stuff all the time in said internet.

Luckily I still LOVE to read books

unluckily I hardly have time to do entertainment reading at the moment. Right now I'm reading [stalled on] the second book of the wheel of time. Great series so far.

As a younger kid I read every book I could get my hands on. I loved reading. I read my first 1000 page book in elem school. But I am totally addicted to it and cannot control it once I start a good book. During such a time my social interactions drop off a cliff as well as time dedicated to studying.

I'm incredibly jealous of you, I would honestly love to grow up in a time before computers, where books were more...prevalent...ore at least more in the forefront.
Ditto and ditto and ditto to all of the above and I don't know whether to warn you away from WoT or push you faster to read it. In books 3-6 the pacing picks up and it's really hard to put the things down then 7-8 they sort of stall and it takes a while to start getting momentum again. But, um, that's not what this thread is about, is it? :blushed:

Anywho, I have loved reading since I discovered that it was actually a useful skill somewhere around the age of seven. I went from not even caring to read anything to gobbling up books and reading "beyond high school" level by the time I was nine. I would average about 2-5 books a week, usually two YA books and one or two adult books. During the summer and breaks that would easily double or triple.

I miss that. I have had so much trouble sitting down and reading anything the last two years. I've read only a handful of books, though The last five days or so I have at least managed a few chapters of a new book. I haven't even read the last two books that were released LAST fall in two of the series I've been reading for years. The closest to reading a new novel I've come is fanfiction, some of which really are novel length and quality. (Two books from my primary fandom are longer than ALL the HP books put together.) But... reading on the computer just isn't the same.

I miss my books. My goal right now is to read at least one or two chapters a night before bed to help ground me and bring me back to what I remember were some of my happiest memories growing up.

Book for the next week or two: Eat, Pray, Love (too highly recommended by a friend who has been helping me to broaden my genre horizons)
Next in line: How to Kill a Rockstar (have to borrow this one from my friend mentioned above)
Then: Ender's Game (If I don't start with Ender's Shadow which I've been told was more intriguing if you like character studies)
Then: Start/finish The Gathering Storm and then Towers of Midnight (Shit! That comes out next week, I'm so far behind! *wails*)
I still have An Echo in the Bone to read too. :unsure:

Reactions: Stillwater

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You read Ayn Rand at 6 and you didn't give up on literature?:confused: Or turn into an INTJ?:confused:

I think there should be laws against exposing kids to those books at that age.
Not only at that age, her books should be forbidden anyhow.

Nah just kidding, I just very much dislike her philosophy. I've actually only seen the Mike Wallace interview from 1959 and I was very much turned off by what she was babbling about.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Not only at that age, her books should be forbidden anyhow.

Nah just kidding, I just very much dislike her philosophy. I've actually only seen the Mike Wallace interview from 1959 and I was very much turned off by what she was babbling about.
Yeah, that interview was weird. She admitted she saw love as a "kind of business transaction" and that "most people are not worthy of love", although she went on to say that they could "earn it". Ugh.

But I guess I should read her books before casting judgment on her as an author. I did read part of The Fountainhead in the library once though, and it was dreadfully dry...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Not as much as I'd like to. I don't have the discipline down yet to pull myself away and continue reading through something day after day, I have a hard enough time staying on track for other things in my life and I'm usually burned out on reading words from being on the internet much of the day. Most books I've read are ones that I started and literally couldn't put down until I was done.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Yeah, that interview was weird. She admitted she saw love as a "kind of business transaction" and that "most people are not worthy of love", although she went on to say that they could "earn it". Ugh.

But I guess I should read her books before casting judgment on her as an author. I did read part of The Fountainhead in the library once though, and it was dreadfully dry...

The "people only do things for self interest" made me question things a lot, and the problem is, it is not falsifiable. It is only what people make of it, it is a matter of opinion, you just agree or disagree and I just happen to value compassion over egoism.

I don't wanna turn this thread into an Ayn Rand thread; just let me post this little cartoon I stumbled upon yesterday:

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I do much of reading but not as much as I would like too. I can go months without reading but then again I try to read at least one book a month and I usually do that or more. It depends on the mood I am in mostly. Most years I finish about 20-25 or more books. I don't know if that is much or not.

Books have always been my friend and it kinda sucks how little time I spend with them now, I used to read so much when I was younger. Now I spend too much time on the computer. I still love reading very much though and it is one of my favorite hobbies.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts