Personality Cafe banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife pointed out to me that I sometimes change sentences when reading out loud.

I always preserve the meaning.

I think this has to do with reading the words, processing them and recreating the sentence in my own words to clarify the meaning, and then causing conflicts when I say the words aloud... I usually say my interpretation instead of the actual written version.

Any other INTPs notice this?

I'm pretty sure if I were to ignore meaning and simply repeat the words on the page giving no thought to them this wouldn't happen.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I also do this, and then I always stumble over my tongue when I try to correct myself. It gets quite annoying, and I try to avoid reading out loud because of it.

·
Banned
2,585 Posts
I find it irritating when people read out loud when they are with other people.

When I am with people, I keep it all inside. If I am alone, I might utter a thing or two.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Whether or not one does this most likely has to do with which hemisphere is more involved in processing words. Evidently, if you do this, you're more apt to be left-handed or have descent motor function in said area. Also, I'm willing to bet, you don't 'silently' articulate (concerning motor movements) when you read silently to yourself or when you're typing out some information.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I do that if I think the original phrasing is unclear. If I don't understand what I'm reading aloud, I just read it that way and let everyone else not understand it either, and then I deprecate the book's writer for being unclear.

I think this is extremely unlikely, specially with what you said afterwards.

A small example?
I don't think it's unlikely. You can reword things without changing their basic meaning.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You do that or not?
It's not a Boolean question. You can do it or not depending on the situation.

I do it if I think the phrasing could be improved for clarity or brevity, such as when reading an informational article.

I don't if it's fiction that I'm reading to someone.

I don't do it if I don't understand the text enough to alter it.

I don't if the text is just fine the way it is.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts