Personality Cafe banner

Real people who inspire ENFPs

10K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Aya the Abysswalker 
#1 ·
Hey all,
Pretty new here so I'm keen to learn more about my fellow ENFPs...

So who are some real life people (preferably people we'll have heard of) who you look up to and find inspiring?

#2 ·
For myself, other ENFPS :D Ahaha and good-hearted comedians....Andy Rooney, philosophers of an older age....and anyone who comes from an unexpected place and stands up for a cause, changes things, and overcomes hardship in the face of adversity in their own unique way through honesty and sheer drive.

And also this baby octopus c:

#3 ·
Jesus
Taylor Swift- because shes like me, but she actually does stuff and people like her. She was the first celeb I could actually relate to, and the first musician I really liked. Other than all the lovey dovey stuff, we are very similar. Or the image she projects to the public.
Hermione Granger- I always loved how resourceful she was, how she had read every book and how she knew so much stuff. She also seemed to have alot of self discipline. If I was more like her, I think I could be very successful.
Gok Wan- Hes a really great guy- he's sweet to women, but hes obviously not trying to get into their pants, because he's gay, he has great style, and hes overcome so many things, like being Gay and being overweight. He was someone who didn't always have a lot going for him, but is very successful now.

#6 ·
Rick Allen (Def Leppard)

Jayceon Taylor (The Game)

Rosie O'Donnell

There are more, but I'll add them later, lol. I'm feeling lazy right now x)​

#8 ·
So who are some real life people (preferably people we'll have heard of) who you look up to and find inspiring?

Uh oh, watch out. Rambling and adoration may or may not lie ahead.
Generally, I'm inspired by people who are creative, sensitive, intelligent and empathetic.... who have overcome their own personal "demons" in order to be successful and happy(ish). I guess @SehnorFrio put it well - the people I'm most inspired by have been through a lot and are still awesome people.

Stephen Fry

So by the age of 20, Stephen Fry had attempted suicide, been arrested and locked up for stealing credit cards and chucked out of almost every school he was ever in. However, he got in to cambridge and turned his life around. Despite all of his personal problems with depression and such, he's become extremely successful. Also, he's just incredibly intelligent. I could listen to that man talk for weeks on end, his anecdotes are always funny and entertaining, and his insights are always great too.
When I saw him at QI live, I would have eaten my own hat had I had one on. He's pretty much my #1 role model/inspiration

Daniel Johns

Man, this guy is fucking good. His songwriting, vocal and guitar abilities are awesome... he's an amazing performer. And he's also a dedicated supporter of animal rights, campaigning for peta and being vegan for several years. Despite his musical success he was almost dead from anorexia by the age of 19, and once he recovered that he was hit with a rare case of arthritis which left him bedridden for over a year. Since then, he's released several successful albums and turned his life around. He was never super famous in the USA... but you still might know him as the lead singer and guitarist of the Aussie band Silverchair.

Russell Brand

Heaps of people have heaps of shit to say about him. I don't really care though. I like that although he was a self loathing, self harming, bulemic heroin addict... he overcame all of it and made a wildly successful career for himself. I'm not a huge fan of his stand up and from what I've seen, he doesn't really act (Just gets roles and is himself), but I think he's a very intelligent, empathetic human being and I have a lot of respect for him. I also like that he's vegan. His autobiography was a wildly entertaining and interesting read.

So they're my top three people I think are amazing. I'm sure the list would be a lot longer, if I had time to read the autobiographies of more people.

The next few people, I greatly respect, and they all inspire me, but I'm not quite as completely enamoured simply because they haven't overcome such extreme "demons" as the ones above. Still, I love them.

- Danny Elfman. Rocker turned soundtrack composer extraordinaire. You'll know his music even if you don't know his name. He wrote the theme song for The Simpsons, and did soundtracks to movies like Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands

- Chuck Palahniuk. Seriously eye opening writing, especially to my little brain when I first read his stuff at 15. Life changing. You may know him as the writer of Fight Club

- Joaquin Phoenix. Great actor and animal rights activist. Enough said! Brother of River Phoenix, won awards for his roles in movies like Gladiator and Walk The Line.

#10 ·
Eek, for some reason I was convinced that this list was only people who were still alive. I concur with your list...

My number #1 dead inspiration is Debusy. He smashed up conventional tonal harmony and wrote incredible music. All of his conposition mentors said "this is all wrong", and technically, it was... It "shouldn't" so pleasing to the human ear if you go by the rules of conventional tonal harmony used throughout the baroque, classical and romantic eras... But somehow, his works are some of the most evocative, imaginative and beautiful pieces written in the history of western music (in my opinion!)

#18 ·
My current obsession is with Aldous Huxley for his theories:

Thomas Paine for his words:

Alfred Lord Tennyson for his poetry:

Andy Warhol for his art:

Jean-Luc Godard for his films:

Will Ferrell because he's funny:

Gaspard Ulliel for his dimples:

Bjork for her awesome possum-ness:

iamamiwhoami for her eccentricity (Jonna Lee):

Bamf to the max. All these people put together would create a cosmic explosion, dang. I've noticed I'm a fan of INxPs... Also, I'm a huge fan of Einstein, he doesn't need a picture because he's too cool.

#19 ·
THREAD RESURRECTION #2 YOLO

Cause I'd love to know who inspires you all but I'm a thrifty kinda gal so didn't think it's worth making another thread.

In addition to the people I listed this last year, I give ye:

Paloma Faith
For being fiercely individual, having a fantastic voice, writing awesome songs and (A more personal one) for being beautiful and not too thin. And some of her songs are super fun, but others are deadly serious and beautiful. Pretty sure we have an ENF on our hands...

If you care to listen but are impatient like me, skip to 0:40secs.

Lana Del Rey
She gets shit for being too "indie" or "hipster" but the thing is, she's genuine as they come. She writes beautiful poetry which she sings with a voice that isn't that great but is still beautiful because of the way she feels. She's also said that her whole aim in life is to make it art.

Also, she makes her music videos cause she collects old film and they're...just casually...fantastic.

Also, ones you've no doubt heard of:
Socrates
Winston Churchill
(Crazy bastard he is!)
And a little unexpected - she doesn't inspire but I do admire - Demi Lovato.

#20 ·
I'll probably do a bigger list once I get home but there are two persons that I must list now, one dead one alive.

Howard Philip Lovecraft
Despise being so attached to his hometown and uncles that lead him to leave the woman he loved; he never stopped amazinging with his writing. Inspired by his own nightmares, depression, tragidies and eventual illness, he created one of the most amazing lores in the History of Literature and is listed as one of the fathers of sci-fi. The creatures and the fear that he created in his stories is not comparable to anything that I have ever read, not even to Poe himself (one of his biggest influences) and as an inspiring writer he is my main inspiration, even though I don't write horror or the macabre.
He had such an influence and impact that there movies, games, books and comic books inspired by his tales and ne of my other favourite writers, Neil Gaiman, is strongely inspired by him and has written about his tales.
He was so amazingly strange that he'll, probably, fascinate me until the day I die.

Edmund McMillen
I've commented many times on this man, but I don't feel like I've fully explained myself.
Edmund has born into a family of extremely regillious family, who questioned him and even despised him throughout his life. With the age of 11 his sexuality was question by his parents, though and because of his age, he failed to understand why they thought that homosexuality is considered wrong by them. He spend his childhood drawing and devolped a rather original and dark way to draw cute things.
Later in life, he became a game devolper for flash games which the most sucessful game was Meat Boy, which was later relased on XboX Live Arcade as Super Meat Boy!. He was the creator and mind behind Team Meat and their games, being the creative mind behind the lore of both SMB! and his most sucessful game The Binding of Isaac.
His dark twisted humor, his open way to explain that he was inspired by his own life to create such games and his passionate and yet calm way to talk about everything made me fall in love (in the most paltonic way a fan can do) with his man and being doomed to buy his games until he no longer makes them.

#23 ·
I'll probably do a bigger list once I get home but there are two persons that I must list now, one dead one alive.

Howard Philip Lovecraft
Despise being so attached to his hometown and uncles that lead him to leave the woman he loved; he never stopped amazinging with his writing. Inspired by his own nightmares, depression, tragidies and eventual illness, he created one of the most amazing lores in the History of Literature and is listed as one of the fathers of sci-fi. The creatures and the fear that he created in his stories is not comparable to anything that I have ever read, not even to Poe himself (one of his biggest influences) and as an inspiring writer he is my main inspiration, even though I don't write horror or the macabre.
He had such an influence and impact that there movies, games, books and comic books inspired by his tales and ne of my other favourite writers, Neil Gaiman, is strongely inspired by him and has written about his tales.
He was so amazingly strange that he'll, probably, fascinate me until the day I die.
Ok Aya. Please tell me what I ought to read to introduce me to such an inspiration, and also what I ought to read of Mr Gaiman's.

Silly me, never getting around to reading fiction. I know I'm missing out.

Eartha Kitt. Conceived by rape and tossed around from guardian to guardian as a child. Grew up into this massive bad-ass. Highly talented, spunky as all hell, always spoke her mind. I love her.

Thank you, I am now in love.

#21 ·
John Lennon, Gandhi, Tha Dalai Llama, Mother Theresa, MLK Jr., and I'll toss Rosa Parks in there too. :)

#22 ·
Eartha Kitt. Conceived by rape and tossed around from guardian to guardian as a child. Grew up into this massive bad-ass. Highly talented, spunky as all hell, always spoke her mind. I love her.

There are plenty of others, but I don't feel like digging through my mind for them right now.

#26 ·
Eddie Vedder: He's got an amazing voice, writes beautiful songs and he is incredibly handsome :D . I love how down to earth, inteligent and deep he is. He also never wanted a bigger attention and live close to his values, he really makes music with his heart and what he makes fulfils him and it is beautiful to see something like this. Really big insipartion.

Greatist song in the world! He sings it with so much passion and with all his heart, I don't think I've ever seen better live performance of anything.

Reactions: fguewriter
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.