Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Tomorrow I have two interviews, and I'm very indecisive on which place I should work at; it's between working at:

1) An independently owned coffee bar/café.. it's a smaller, intimate place with a positive atmosphere. I will start out on register, and then they will gradually teach me how to make all the coffees, sandwiches etc.

2) A chain outdoor store; think REI, only not as widespread. It's also a smaller store, but definitely bigger than the coffee place. I'll probably be a sales associate/cashier.

They are like one block away from each other, so distance isn't a factor.

I've worked both before; I've done jobs where I have to work with food, clean etc.. and I've also done jobs in retail.

For some reason, I cannot decide; I didn't expect both to contact me for an interview!

My main qualities I want is:

1) A positive place to work where I can help customers, but also have my own space
2) A place that will benefit me going forward; if I move etc, to have some valuable experience that can help me get other jobs.

These aren't long-term jobs; but it's very important that I find somewhere I enjoy working at.. my current job just drags on and I can't wait to leave everytime I work. I'm in a tough season in life, so this is important that I find somewhere uplifting.

Just looking for some advice, to bounce some ideas around etc

·
Registered
784 Posts
I've read a few of your posts, and I think you'd prefer the coffee bar because it's a little more social. Although, I imagine there's more room for growth at the outdoor store.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
It sounds like a coffee bar would do you good. Chains and fast food gets old fast because there is no real connection between you and the customer (plus it’s hecking repetitive).

·
Registered
8,495 Posts
You'll know more after the interviews, I would think, because then you can see who you'll be working with. Good luck tomorrow!!! =) I hope they aren't scheduled for the same time! Good luck!

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you truly value those 4 letters you wear on your sleeve, go with the big brand marketing store. Forget about your personal space- you can have that when you retire...

One of the very mistakes INFJs make, unknowingly, is not putting themselves in intense and harsh environments in order to break through their own limits. If you think small circle, you will be forever limited to that small circle. INFJs need exposure, exposure, and testing in order to fully develop their Fe. All of these exposures will then convert to your subconscious and eventually click someplace down the line.

P.S- not to sound harsh but one of the many reasons why people often give bad career advice is because they fail to expose themselves to as many variables as possible. This is also why so many psychologists today live on paper and feed their patients pills- they have no extensive social networking skills in order to better relate to various personality types.

If you take that coffee house jobs, I will be very upset. You need references, networking, people who will challenge you, the ability to deal with ass-holes, snobs, elite, etc...

If I was your boss, I would make sure I throw you in the fire from day 1. You would thank me in one month's time...

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
If you truly value those 4 letters you wear on your sleeve, go with the big brand marketing store. Forget about your personal space- you can have that when you retire...

One of the very mistakes INFJs make, unknowingly, is not putting themselves in intense and harsh environments in order to break through their own limits. If you think small circle, you will be forever limited to that small circle. INFJs need exposure, exposure, and testing in order to fully develop their Fe. All of these exposures will then convert to your subconscious and eventually click someplace down the line.

P.S- not to sound harsh but one of the many reasons why people often give bad career advice is because they fail to expose themselves to as many variables as possible. This is also why so many psychologists today live on paper and feed their patients pills- they have no extensive social networking skills in order to better relate to various personality types.

If you take that coffee house jobs, I will be very upset. You need references, networking, people who will challenge you, the ability to deal with ass-holes, snobs, elite, etc...

If I was your boss, I would make sure I throw you in the fire from day 1. You would thank me in one month's time...
Honestly, too much exposure at once can be destructive as well. You have expressed strength-centered views like these before, suggesting it to be the way for most, if not all, INFJs to grow, but frankly, true strength can't blossom without the readiness to handle the blows as well. It sounds like voluntary exposure to harsh environments might have been one of the ways for you, but one size doesn't suit all. They have to be ready to take it. It's a huge risk to put people in environments where they're challenged way beyond their capabilities for huge amounts of time. Some people grow well from the experience. Some people are traumatised even further, locked down even tighter, burned out. This is not desirable either. Different approaches work for different people.

--

That said, I think the big-brand, less comfortable one might be your, @FreeSpirit777 go-to choice if you want to challenge yourself. I have great respect for people who do engage in challenging environments, and I encourage it if it's at all within capabilities. Sometimes the more comfortable choice can be the better one, though, in case rest is needed. This choice will be up to you to take - do you think you could use some extensive challenge, or do you think comfort might be more suitable here? Or something in between?

Reactions: NotAlone
1 - 6 of 6 Posts