Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
INTP Female
26,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else remember really insignificant events that have no relation to themselves and appear to be somewhat useless? I was reading the ring tone thread in this subforum, and I remembered something from about five years ago where I was on a bus going home after college, and someone's phone rang on the bus, and these two young women commented on the ring tone - I even remember that they thought it was a bad ring tone and wouldn't have ever used such a ring tone.

Some of these useless memories go back years, even back to when I was in primary school, so early 1990s. What is strange is that I can easily forget about things that have happened in the last few years, yet can remember something insignificant that happened ten years ago.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I very vividly remember a conversation on what subway subs my former friends enjoyed. Meatball and teriyaki, for the record. We were all stoned, as well. :wink:

·
Banned
1,068 Posts
Yeah I remember useless details all the time. Like how my friend once made a big deal about the tastiness of 'snipe' meat. It's a type of bird he used to hunt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Absolutely nothing stays in my mind as well as useless memories or knowledge. Not like I can ever remember anything relevant or important though.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yeah, it happens quite regularly.

I recently recalled watching the Big Comfy Couch with the daughter of one of my mom's friends when I was very young. I also remembered being hit in the face by a rock when my father was cutting the grass (I guess there was a rock in the grass), this was when I was less than five years old. When I saw my sister playing a virtual pinball game on the PC I recalled being in the basement of some family acquaintances playing a real pinball machine. I had to use a stool to see it. There was also a wood burning stove behind me and a loud gas burning furnace to my left. This was when I was 8. Even more pointless is when I remember what the doorknobs looked like and how there was a megaphone installed in the front entrance of a house we visited. I could go on for an eternity recalling trivial things. Ugh.

I can also go through my elementary school group photographs and name nearly every single student. How is that useful? I don't even know what has happened to all of them save two.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am a huge repository of useless information and memories.

Reactions: Fiddler

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Snipe is a non-existent. It is a hunter joke about hunting something not there.

I read somewhere that INTP's are all about connections or something. Maybe that is why the trivial is remembered with the important. Just my guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I can actually remember some memories from when I was still in diapers. I have an easier time remembering pointless things than I do important events or dates.

·
Registered
749 Posts
What's funny is so many things I wonder about myself appear in threads like a day after I ruminate on them. Just the other day at work I was thinking about starting a thread asking if you guys remember every single detail about your friends, including past things you've done with them, when they seem to not remember so well.

I mean I have around 14 core friends, like 3 bests, and some 25 acquaintance-ish friends -- I won't include facebook friends, just the people I hang out with on a regular rotation-- and I know EVERYTHING about all 45 or so of those people. Their jobs, hobbies, and I can tell you just about every semi-noteworthy interaction from years ago that they've all long forgotten. I find that a lot of times I have to hold my tongue so as to not look like a stalker or something, but I'm merely remembering details just from one encounter and it happened to stick.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
When I was about four years old, someone had told me that you could remember something if you concentrated on it. Or something like that. So I made it a goal to memorize the appearance of my dinner plate so that I would remember it for the rest of my life. Although some of the detail has faded, I still remember staring at the hamburger, pink applesauce, and spoon with the bear on it on a paper plate. :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
I remember seeing my brother at the hospital for the first time. He's 2 years and 3 months younger than me. Or at least I remembered when I was younger and now I think that I might've forgotten the actual memory, but only remember remembering if you know what I mean. In my "memory", my dad and grandma look like they look today, but my mom looks like she did around that time (I think). Weird.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My memory is extremely strange.

My childhood for example, I have very vivid memories of certain things (remembering whole bits of conversations, what things smelled like, my surroundings, the facial expressions of the people I was talking to): racing in a tricycle, eating salt-water taffy for the first time, a specific game I used to play with my cousins.....little stuff like that, but an overall memory of what happened in my childhood is nonexistent--it's all blank or muddled.

But getting back to the point, yeah...I retain pointless info all the time. For example, in a 2 minute conversation I remember my uncle telling me the exact recipe for a type of cookie dough and how he'd roll it in sugar and then present it to people that way. 15 years later I recited the exact recipe and circumstance for why he did that. I'll remember little things like dates, a random fact a teacher throws out to the class. Or I notice patterns that are completely boring to everyone except me. I have a really good memory for the dislikes/likes of my friends and boyfriend, if they are complaining or praising about something--I'll never forget, ever.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I know EVERYTHING about all 45 or so of those people. Their jobs, hobbies, and I can tell you just about every semi-noteworthy interaction from years ago that they've all long forgotten. I find that a lot of times I have to hold my tongue so as to not look like a stalker or something, but I'm merely remembering details just from one encounter and it happened to stick.
Yeah, this is my life--exactly.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts