Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today in Behavioral Science class we took a "stress test" to see how much stress we had in our lives. Questions concerning events in our lives (deaths, change in work, change in lifestyle etc) were asked. Mine turned out to be surprisingly low, however I feel like I'm much more stressed than that. I mean, I usually act pretty calm, but inside it's like I'm having a panic attack whenever I say something sort of weird to a stranger etc. Usually I'm stressed because I"m not living the way I think I should be.

So I guess my questions to all of you are what causes stress in your life? How do you deal with it? Do you feel like you get stressed over little minute things and not bigger events?

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Stress-causers?

Hopelessness, malicious anger, depression, miscommunication, not assessing that potential I know I could see, and seeing lost potential in people that do care and regret their actions, where preventing a misunderstanding could have helped so many more people.

Reactions: refugee and Nasmoe

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
School. All of my friends moving away. Family. Work.

Reactions: refugee

·
Registered
431 Posts
Money, family problems, the future, are probably the 3 biggest ones... But sometimes I'll get instantly overly stressed about the oddest things that most people wouldn't think twice and a half about.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
I generally don't believe in stress to be honest, it weakens your body and your mind. What purpose does it actually serve that helps me get through rough times?

Hey! Someone just cut me off on the road........ oooo I'm fuming angry. Does that change anything? Well it might, I may crash my car into him or make a few choice words, but I doubt they give a fuck (which would infuriate people more).

Ohh my brother is a prick. He's so selfish, blah blah. Okay, is anything changing from my behavior? Well, I may have a headache by the end of it, which I'll likely blame on him.

In the end, stress never really helps you. It just inhibits your ability to control your own thoughts. Now, you should think i'm full of shit at this point and if you don't, shame on you. People will always get a little miffed about something, but you can react to it in different ways. If someone were to say punch me, I'd give a devlish smirk... and then I'd absolutely beat the living daylights out of them. I can honestly say I could do that without stress and may take a little too much enjoyment from it.

Big test coming up? Well, I'd enjoy some relaxing tea, turn on some music and take some time to glance over the material. What if I get an F? -- Well, I know I'm a smart guy, but shit happens. Do I judge myself based on how student #355239 in University is graded by some teacher that is usually only there to use the research facilities at the institution? Fuck noo..

In the end, keep it cool and you'll have far better results, guaranteed. If not, Tylenol is your friend, cancer might be too.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Chronic pain, sleep deprivation, and people who take the bible literally. I take hot baths, go on walks in nature, get high, and right now I'm gonna make myself some tea because it's a good idea.

·
Registered
276 Posts
School! Small everyday frustrations stress me out, too, like paying for something that I know is overpriced (even if I have money) or someone budging in front of me in a line. My procrastination also leads to stress, it's an ongoing effect.

Reactions: Nasmoe

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Let's see, I am...

- Going through a prolonged divorce where I took on all the financial obligations and am therefore working 60 hours or so a week.

- Living with two roommates when I would much rather live alone. Lovely individuals that they are, it can be very draining, especially when I would really rather not talk to talk to someone else...

- Not quite knowing what I'm going to do in the next year, but I do know that I will not be staying where I currently am in life. I need to change something.

- Friends needing help, which really is friends/family making demands of me and my time.

- A whole bunch of random things from work and life and friends and such.

Overall though, my stress had gotten a whole heck of a lot better the last few months. Most of what my body feels is from lack of sleep, which has been chronic since I can't remember when, and a poor diet/exercise routine. My brain has been functioning a lot better and in general my stress is down from the 7/10 I was at earlier this year to maybe a 3-4/10. Not great, but I anticipate that lessening significantly by the beginning of 2011 when I can put the divorce and that part of my life behind me and get past all the additional demands that the holidays put on people in general. :)

Reactions: Jasminepearls

·
Registered
11 Posts
My toddler's father has a pattern of cutting off all contact with us when he has an issue with me that he refuses to talk about. He is doing it now, and I am finally ending it for good. It really, really hurts.

I can't seem to get motivated or be productive in most areas of my life lately.

My toddler has a 50/50 chance of having Hungington's Chorea because his father has it, and no hospital will test him because of the ethical guidelines for testing.

I am having problems eating and sleeping, and am easily overwhelmed right now.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Carrying the burden of my deceased father
My immediate family--they cause a lot of fights and arguments
Knowing that close friends are going through a great deal of pain and there's nothing you can do about it
...Uselessness

Ehh...it was only a quick list but it feels like I'm just whining.

I really don't appear to very stressed. I do my best to hide these things, especially in public. In order to quell what stress I have, I turn to these forums, music, and video games. Talking to friends about it helps tons, same goes for helping or simply being there for other people.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I hate expressing exactly what I need when a task needs to be done, and what I need someone else to do, in a clear and concise manner (for me), and realizing when the task is ongoing that the other person(s) either ignored, disregarded, or pretended not to hear what I said. Then it gets turned on me, like I was being irresponsible. I know I sound vague about this, but it happens to me more often than I'd like, and even people who know my personality try to change it..."You have to be more this way.." when I express frustration that something isn't working out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts