Personality Cafe banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
People are always complaining that their lives aren't as happy as they want them to be. I recently read a piece that stresses the need to keep our lives simple in order to attain fulfillment.

I feel this article might be on to something, but I disagree that a simple life suits everybody. I know several people who thrive in chaotic situations and environments -- and they wouldn't have it any other way.

What's your take? Has keeping it simple worked for you? Is keeping it simple even possible anymore?

·
Registered
INTP
1,755 Posts
People can thrive in chaotic situations, but they don't do so well in complicated situations. When things get complicated, only misery ensues. Personally, all my depressive and suicidal thoughts have been born from thinking about overly-complicated things that plague modern life. Money, politics, employment, college, relationships, decisions that will affect your whole life... Maybe I'm more easily overwhelmed than other people, but I can't handle it and I often wish I was born into a simpler era of history. I keep thinking my ideal lifestyle would have been as a frontier trapper/trader in the pre-Gold Rush American west where it's just me, nature, my skills and then only deal with people whenever I have to go into town with my collected goods. There would be a lot of hard work involved, but it's simpler and seems a lot less stressful for me ((I love nature anyway and do lots of hiking/camping as part of my free time, so I do know what it's like)). I think a lot of my social, mental and emotional problems are born from living in modern society; keeping it "simple" isn't really possible anymore as everything is demanding, fast-paced and exhausting. I hate it and I wish people would slow down. There is something unhealthy about modern life and it's not surprising mental illness like depression is constantly on the increase, and at its pace will be the most common "disease" in the modern world in the coming years. Schizophrenia is most common in urban areas, where life is at its most complicated.

I also watch as people with more demanding lives than me continuously stress out over things... My best friend is from an Asian family and she has an absurdly high standard for what "success" is, and while she believes it's important, she is also constantly making herself miserable over it. I've been scared for her health due to how much pressure she puts on herself from her university work, and sometimes I think she is destroying herself too much for her goals and "success". She denies it, but I think she is deteriorating as a person more and more all the time since life is too much about work and barely has any time to figure out who she is.

Even in our time that's supposed to be meant for rest, we stress ourselves out with how crazy communication technology and social media has gotten in the past couple of years. Being "connected" with others is both easy and impossible in the modern day because of it. There's high demand for people who maintain positive relationships in all sorts of facets that didn't even exist a decade ago. My dad says I am failing to get a job because I don't network enough and I don't have a cell phone to make me accessible, but I know those things would stress me out hardcore, so I don't do stuff like Facebook or Twitter or whatever else exists now. You're always expected to immediately respond to friends/"friends" these days because of all this technology. Nobody can take it slow anymore; gotta do everything NOW, and all these things make life too complicated for me. I don't want to do it. I can barely handle college, which I've already dropped out once due to severe depression that debilitated me to the point of me being incapable of going and started thinking about nothing besides dying. Sometimes, I still contemplate killing myself because of how complicated life gets and how life can only get more complicated in the future. I just get so overloaded by the way things are sometimes that I can't take it anymore. This stuff makes life feel like a prison.

·
Registered
747 Posts
People are always complaining that their lives aren't as happy as they want them to be. I recently read a piece ) that stresses the need to keep our lives simple in order to attain fulfillment.

I feel this article might be on to something, but I disagree that a simple life suits everybody. I know several people who thrive in chaotic situations and environments -- and they wouldn't have it any other way.

What's your take? Has keeping it simple worked for you? Is keeping it simple even possible anymore?
As someone with minimalist tendencies I like to keep it simple.

But as humans I think our biology works us against us in the happiness department, pushing us to always want the next best thing. We're rarely content with how things are, which would be the key to true happiness.
Yet we're always looking to the horizon, imagining something better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I didn't read the article all the way through (I got bored sorry), but it seems to put more emphasis on not thinking through big decisions causing stress, rather than not living a simplistic lifestyle. It also seems a lot like the author is ranting. I think having a chaotic lifestyle is fine if you know how to manage it correctly, which, unfortunately many people don't know how to do. If you think everything through carefully, and you don't overestimate your own abilities, you should be fine.
Also, living like a minimalist doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a busy lifestyle, it just means you're willing to cut down to the bare basics, and not have a lot of excess possessions (at least that's what I interpret it to be). I know of a minimalist who travels all over the world living out of a suitcase, holding different jobs, learning the cultures of different countries. I'd definantly call that a busy lifestyle, but he likes it, so down with living simple lives.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Sad lives are actually caused by a lack of Go-Gurt. Leading (nonexistent) studies have shown that after incorporating a daily intake of 186,000 mg of Go-Gurt in their routine, people started noticing a startling slant of 36.7% in unhappiness and marginal increases in well-being.

Source

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Happiness is enjoying the Present.

That's what I learned today.
Life is a present.. and the Present is the only part of our time we have control over.
Right NOW we make choices.
So maybe we should just enjoy making choices.. or not making choices.. whatever floats your boat.

I think happiness can surprise us by sneaking up on us, or we can make the decision to be happy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Personally because I didn't take enough actions, but I learned to go with my instinct and stop over-analysing everything. Also, brain chemistry is extremely important but people have bad eating habit so that fucks up their mind (this I learned too lol)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Chasing happiness is futile. Its an energy state in your brain, and as such must be paid for by an equal amount of negative energy.

Acceptance and detachment, combined with less materialism and a simpler lifestyle do lead to a better experience of being, though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
While I can see how a simple life may not be good for everyone, I can see an analogy between the simplicity of our diet and the simplicity of our lives. I'm trying to eat healthier and straying away from foods with added sugar in them, and I've realized that in America at least there's an overabundance in foods that have sugar injected into them (because it's subsidized?) and when we eat too much sugar, we begin to desire more sugar. And this desire (unsuppressed) has almost overshadowed the natural sweetness of the food we eat. And for me, I've realized that it's after taking out the sugar that I've started to appreciate natural sweetness again.

And how this all ties in with life is that the sugar may be the extra things in life that may seem good but not good in it of itself (rather, these things are good because other people are doing it) and this takes away from what is actually important for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.