Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Reasons People Give You To Motivate You That You Don't Understand

What are some reasons people give to you to do things that you otherwise would be unlikely to do where you just look at them with an "Eh?"

Reactions: Trylle

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Cause you might enjoy it.
You can never know until you try."

Chances are, I've already tried or fathomed something near enough.

·
Registered
INTP
1,752 Posts
"If you aren't going to do it for yourself, at least do it for me!"

No idea how approval from others is supposed to motivate me :l

·
Registered
312 Posts
Someone once said to me: "If you don't do x, everyone will find out about y and then your reputation will be tarnished". I ended up giving this person the proverbial middle finger and we haven't talked since. Everyone did eventually find out but nothing really changed. The friends I had stayed, the users continued to hover around me, and the people I didn't give a f**k about I still don't give a f**k about...

·
Registered
137 Posts
"Clean up your room and then you can continue sitting. You aren't doing anything anyways."
:/

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
A couple of my favorites:

"It'll put hair on your chest."

Translation: This activity is going to suck, and serves no purpose, but you should do it if you're a real man.

"It'll be good for you."

Translation: I have determined what is best for you (when it's probably not), and you should capitulate even if you're not going to enjoy it.

God I hate that one.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
"Do it for your family / kids."
"It's just the right thing to do."
"You'll be happier later."
"God will make it all work out for the best."
"How do you know until you try it?"

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
"It could always be worse." This bothers me to no end, because it's about one of the most depressing things you can say to a person. It's like saying, "I see your problem, would you like to hear mine?" (which consequently, is another method people try to use that makes me want to choke them).

"We all have to do things we don't like." Are you suggesting that by knowing other people are miserable, it will make me more compliant in doing things that I hate? Misery loves company... might as well get the hell out of here then.

"You're so good at this!" I know. I'm good at everything. Doesn't mean I feel like doing it.

"Just think about the future!" I always think about the future. If I don't want to do something now, that's just an issue with the present.

"You're lazy." Any time someone tries to motivate me by insulting my ability/pride/self-worth I am 100% less likely to do it.

"It's easy, anyone can do it!" So? Why should I?

"It's healthy for you." Are you implying I am not taking care of my health enough as is?

"This is just my opinion, but it would be best if you did this." Your opinion does not matter to me.

"If you do this I'll love you forever." Great, I've always wanted to be loved by someone who loves everyone they meet. Just like I've always wanted to have sex with an STD-infested prostitute.

"I'll do something for you if you do this." The non-specific something, yay. You know I could probably convince you to do whatever it is you are offering any time.

"This will make you happy." If I'm hesitating this much, there's a good chance I already know it will not make me happy.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Cause [sic?] I love you."

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
ESFJ Grandmother: You need to be more sociable. You're gonna end up a hateful, lonely bastard like your father.

Funny thing; she equates introversion to hatefulness and a day later my Dad told me he had a girlfriend.

Not to day my Dad isn't hateful in its literal meaning...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts