Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
332 Posts
While researching information on consumer psychology, I came across the following article:

It basically states that the urge to acquire products make us giddy -- but once we acquire the product, we get bored and look for the next best thing.

While there is some truth to this, it may be an oversimplification. I know plenty of individuals who spend most of their lives cherishing decades-old mementos.

What is your view on this? Does it not depend on the person and the product?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It's all about the anticipation. We anticipate something and usually embellish it and perhaps project onto it our hopes and desires for said product, and in the end, it's often the anticipation that's better than the actual product itself.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'm really not affected by materialism. I usually go into stores and feel sick to my stomach at the prices, and think about what a waste of money most things would be, because I don't need them. Big glossy ads with pictures of people enjoying themselves are the worst for me. I usually stare at them, thinking that life never looks like that no matter how many new things you buy. That being said, I do make very calculated purchases occasionally if I decide that I would be highly benefited by the purchase. The enjoyment usually lasts for quite a long time after I get over my feeling of nausea at spending the money. So no, I'd say I enjoy items more once I have them. I usually feel a lot of anxiety about whether I'll even be happy about what I bought, whether it will work right etc., before I have it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I think it makes sense. It's a goal to strive for.
Kind of reminds me of 'the chase' people get so obsessed with when pursuing someone.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I like to think that the things that I really go after- sometimes material things, sometimes not- are valuable and want-able because they are important in and of themselves. I spend money on material things, yes, but my greatest wants are wanted because they will improve my life once I have them. A new piano will always sound better than my old one, so it doesn't exactly "wear off". It's not very enjoyable to look at a book on a shelf, compared to reading one that's in your hands. That dish washer will be a pain in the ass to install, but having the dishes do themselves is always going to make me happier.

On the other hand, clothes... Yes, I'll buy them impulsively and with little regard for long-term value. Shopping is fun. I'll still like the clothes afterwards, but not quite as much as I did in the store. That's a fact, but it certainly cannot be applied to every material thing we want. There are different reasons for wanting things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.