Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there beloved ISTJs,
First of, I apologize if a similar thread has been made in this subforum....I'm too lazy to comb through the subforum for it.

I'd like to ask you all if you were ever rebellious as a teenager? This encompasses intentionally going against the authorities and the establishment, or just (intentionally or not) made your parents' lives difficult...because...I dunno...you thought they're 'bossy' and 'controlling' and you wanna do WHATEVER you want!??? ;)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
No, I don't think I ever intentionally rebelled. I occasionally did something that I knew they wouldn't like because I saw no problem with it. And I was the argumentative pouting teenager. But I never really saw a point in rebelling.

I read something good in Dear Abby yesterday. She was talking to a grown women, and she told her that your parents disapproval shouldn't stop you from doing something, but it should cause you to to give it a second thought. Obviously for teenagers, parents disapproval should keep you from doing it at all since they're still in charge of you and deserve your respect (unless it's something ridiculous) but I do believe that they're disapproval should give you a second thought as to whether it's even right to do it.

I got a lot of independence from my parents and I never gave them a reason to think I didn't deserve it.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
I bet ISTJs got into some crazy shit back in the day, probably some stuff like mixing colors with whites in the washing machine or putting their elbows on the dinner table whenever the heck they wanted to.

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
My father has insinuated in the past that he was a bit of a ''troublemaker'' when he was younger... I wouldn't know, though, we don't talk. But it would be hard to imagine
My dad could never front being a "troublemaker", he was always a goody two shoes :laughing:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Nope, nothing rebellious from me. My mom raised five kids by herself, so none of us wanted to give her too much trouble (excepting my little sister, the youngest). She trusted us to behave like adults, and we generally did so. I never has a curfew or too much in the way of rules, but I never really pushed the boundaries much anyway.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
@Kayness--

Everyone rebels. It's part of the process of establishing your own identity. However, not everyone is a rebel. :crazy:

I bet ISTJs got into some crazy shit back in the day, probably some stuff like mixing colors with whites in the washing machine or putting their elbows on the dinner table whenever the heck they wanted to.
I wasn't as wild and crazy as my friends, to be sure. I hung around people that sometimes used drugs and alcohol and tended to live life on the edge, but that wasn't me. Never smoked, drank, used drugs, or had a use for loose women, but I was addicted to going fast. Street racing was the thing that had me hooked and I lived for the Friday and Saturday nights, congregating behind the factories that were closed and had a nice straight road to line 'em up. Some raced for fun, some for money, and some for pink slips. Some just came out to get stoned or laid, but I was there for the thrill of eyeball flattening fast acceleration. Nothing is more thrilling than a car that will do the quarter in less than 12 seconds.

Yeah, but then the cops would come and shut us down. They'ed block the entrances and exits and spend the night just writing tickets for every little thing. Never got busted there, but came close twice. Once I went to the gas station to refuel, and as I'm sitting there, up drives over fifty cops in cars and on motorcycles and heads down to bust everyone. I left and went to a different place - there was about four meeting places throughout the city.

One other time was a bit closer. They caught me in the loop, but I went to the center area where there was a train crossing and turned and drove down the tracks to the next road and high-tailed it outta there. I out ran the cops twice and had several near close calls with getting caught, but was overall pretty lucky.

I was stopped and caught thirty-two times in three years. So they did get their pound of flesh.

Today, I don't trust myself. I'd love, love, love to build a wheel pullin' ten second monster, but it costs a lot of money, and I'd be too tempted to punch it sometimes when I shouldn't. So, I just stick to stock OEM repairs and leave the fast cars and fast driving to others.

After writing this, I'm tempted to erase it...SWMBO knows some of it, but my kids are pretty clueless about their old man.

·
Registered
9,498 Posts
but I was addicted to going fast
^ This, and I still am addicted to it.

There were other things that I did that were extremely rebellious. Some of them I refuse to list in order to protect what little privacy I have left on teh interwebz.

Others are public knowledge, such as the fact that I was pregnant at 19, or that I ended up going to night school to get that LAST credit that I needed to graduate high school (had to have 38; I had 37 and didn't see the point in attending school for an entire semester for ONE CLASS).

... then there was the time that myself and two friends decided to vandalize the girls' restroom adjacent to the gymnasium in high school. The stalls USED to be pink; by the time we were done writing trash about the girls we didn't like in permanent black magic markers, they locked that bathroom for a week and repainted the stalls black. Your tax dollars hard at work.

That same year (tenth grade, FWIW), I egged on a rival and ended up in an actual fistfight. She had been sleeping with my then-boyfriend. The grapevine/rumor mill had it that he'd gotten her pregnant, so my friend (one of my vandalizing partners in crime) and I had the bright idea to roam the corridors in school for a week waving coat hangers around. I assume that some of you will get the reference.

In eleventh grade my aunt had to convince the principal and my guidance counselor to allow me back into school after I'd been expelled for /drum roll/ skipping school. Not suspended, not detention, but EXPELLED. I was such the model of good behavior back then ... NOT!

I was really quite mild and well-behaved until my Pop (paternal grandfather) passed away; he'd raised me from the age of 2 until I was 16 ... and it was after he passed that the "crazy" came out. Basically, for three years (16-19) I did everything that a person should NOT do. Some of them legal, some of them questionable, and some of them well ... you get the idea. Although the one rebellious thing that I DID do while my Pop was still alive (and of course he found out about) was the fact that I'd had premarital sex at 15. He completely blew a gasket and I thought for sure that he was going to skin me alive.

I am so glad that my own daughter is relatively tame in comparison (although nowadays, I'm the fuddy-duddy). She thought that I would completely wig out when she confessed that she'd had premarital sex. Actually, I was glad that she was comfortable enough to tell me about it (so that I could make sure she got to the doctor and got on "the pill"), and secondly, that she'd waited until after she turned 18 to do so.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
^^Reminds me of my sophomore year in high school. Did the locker thing, but I scratched it into the lockers with a knife. Got stupid and smarted off to a few teachers - totally surprised them and me, 'cuz it was so out of character. Skipped a few classes to walk downtown and hang out with some friends at The Joke Shop (had all kinds of cool things). And as I've mentioned before, waiting until the house quieted down and then slipping out to go with friends after parents had already declined permission.

Fights? Good grief. I was picked on in elementary and middle school until I would fight at little provocation. But I was different than the other kids, in that I wasn't going to meet you after school; by then I would have cooled off and no longer wanted to beat your brains in. So my fights were always right here, right now. In front of counselors, principals, teachers, it didn't matter. And therefore I was always busted for fighting. Never got away with it.

FWIW, now I wish it hadn't been that way. Wish I'd have been a little more mature. Asi es la vida.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Ehh sure I did some things that I wasn't supposed to got some lectures and all that gave em the :dry: face and now I'm a fully functional member of society. :wink:

Reactions: Rhee, Sela and niss

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Not when I was a teenager. I was a model student and my teen years were pretty lame.

I had more fun once I graduated highschool. I lived with a strict dress code up until that point (short hair + school uniform), so for a few years in college I walked around in the cliche ripped jeans, metal shirts and a ponytail.

I skipped a lot of my classes, frequented all-night parties and then slept it off at random places on campus. On a memorable occasion I spent my birthday night at a gay bar (never say 'wherever you want, dude!!' when your friend asks you where you'd like to go for your joint birthday bash.) For someone who can't really drink I sure did a lot of bar-hopping.

None of this was done in a spirit of rebellion though. I did it because it was fun. :D

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
yeah I rebelled, because I was surrounded by morons, worst of all were the teachers, thoroughly incompetent people who put me off trying to enjoy school forever, if I had my way they would've been thrown out of their jobs for good and reassigned to a more fitting role in society, like pastry-making or garbage incineration

also, a lot of laws are there to protect people, unfortunately there are a lot of really bad laws, like the DMCA, ACTA and that piece-of-shit legislation they want to have in the United States for endless war

if you don't rebel against the things that are bad for everybody then you may as well be dead or comatose

all the time is reform time!

metal shirts
better stay in during storms, or at least have grounding installed

·
Registered
64 Posts
ISFJ rebellion coming right up...

From 15-16, I went on a...study binge!

I took a huge amount of classes, worked around the clock and if I took less than an A+ I felt like a failure. I lost almost all my friends and pissed off everybody for being a complete brown-nose. Then towards the end of the year I flipped out and cut off all my hair and took two weeks off school. I just went into absolute burn-out.

I also showed a little took much skin, tried to be a goth and acted as superior as possible.

I am so glad I'm not a teenager anymore! :laughing:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I was never overtly rebellious, but I did experiment a bit. If I wanted to go to a kegger, I would tell my parents I was going and that was it. I used to get into it with my parents because I was upfront with them, which used to tick me off because my sisters would crawl out of a window at night to go to parties. I have too much pride to crawl out of a window to avoid being caught. I was never a big partier because I don't like drinking and I never tried drugs. I feared for my safety when surrounded by drunk or high people.

I almost always told my parents where I was going or at least who I was going with for safety reasons. If they didn't like what I was doing, I would consider it, but I didn't always follow their instructions. I did find out that my parents' concerns were usually correct, though.

I had a couple of boyfriends my parents didn't like, but they didn't last long. I've always been fairly modest and I didn't tolerate boys groping me.

I was an excellent student and I never got into trouble at school.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had some minor rebellion, mainly because I was beginning to see that people have some strange fashions and norms that they just go along with and I was questioning this. Having been taught throughout my life to be compliant, however, any rebellion that I did engage in was pretty quiet to the point of often being internal rather than external. It is only now that I am slowly beginning to find the courage to actually go against commonly held ideals that I can see are incorrect.

if you don't rebel against the things that are bad for everybody then you may as well be dead or comatose
Agreed.

·
Registered
254 Posts
After writing this, I'm tempted to erase it...SWMBO knows some of it, but my kids are pretty clueless about their old man.
Niss, I don’t know that there is any shame in telling your older children about mistakes you made in the past. My father is a highly disciplined, religious man and we had a strict upbringing. It was actually a relief when my Dad started sharing stories from his “wild past.” I was better able to understand where he was coming from and appreciate that he was a human being and had made mistakes, too. It also explained the switchblades and brass knuckles we found hiding in an old toolbox…

1 - 20 of 42 Posts