Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have found myself strangely fascinated by ENTPs and wanting to know more generally due to the great way they see the world as I do, intuition first; unfortunately as an INTJ I generally have very few opportunities to meet ENTPs in a friendly situation who are not co-workers.

I generally enjoy ENTPs for their energy and ideas but I find they quite often leave me totally overloaded by bombarding me with lots of ideas and discussion on just about everything; which although I enjoy I find incredibly intimidating, forcing me to retreat to sort out what I've just discovered.

My question for you is: Considering that, how can I ensure that my interactions with ENTPs are better managed so that I can steer any ENTPs into a more settled and less taxing path? Is this impossible?

·
Banned
1,048 Posts
not surprised, we're very lovable. :wink:
pick out one of their ideas and ask a question about it. usually it puts me on mind rampage on that topic instead of being as scattered.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yeah, pretty much.

Pick one of those ideas and go with it, we'll be happy to continue with it as well~

I tend to throw out ideas, not only because I have so many, but because I'm waiting for that person to jump on one and become just as enthused about it as I am.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
You want to calm us down? Just tell us to shut up. Seriously, if an INTJ (or anyone I respect, for that matter) was just like, "Hey. You're driving me crazy. Shut up," I would probably listen. It's not the nicest method, I suppose, but it works. The direct, blunt approach is always the most effective.

That said, I approve of this thread. I saw the title and the creator and did a little happy dance. It's about time I get some reciprocation for all of the INTJ love posts I make!

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
You want to calm us down? Just tell us to shut up. Seriously, if an INTJ (or anyone I respect, for that matter) was just like, "Hey. You're driving me crazy. Shut up," I would probably listen. It's not the nicest method, I suppose, but it works. The direct, blunt approach is always the most effective.
I totally agree, if someone tells me to shut up, I shut up, I just hate people that just ramble on and on and on, especially after telling them to shut up, I just don't understand why someone would continue to talk and talk and talk after some has told them to be quiet, but brother believe me if someone tells me to shut up, I shut up right then and their, I don't keep rambling, nope not me, I understand how that is, it really bugs me when someone goes off on someone random topic after you tell them the shut up, like one time I told this guy to be quiet and he just rambled off something about bugs bunny then he ended up discussing whether or not tweety was male or female and if that made any difference in Sylvester's sexual orientation, I mean how random is that, every one knows cats eat birds there is no sexual preference their at all, you don't go to a steak house and only ask for steak cut from a heifer just because you're straight guy or ask for bull just because you're a girl, IT"S FOOD for pete's sake, now if you get abducted by aliens I can see them caring about the gender of who they abduct but, I don't think they eat us, just through examination, ooo, I wonder if they've ever examined bigfoot, that would be interesting, and funny to watch how he would react after waking up, I wonder if he would be paranoid like the humans that supposedly got abducted, lol idk, it'd be fun to watch, I wonder if they have personality types, someone should look into that if we could ever find enough of them or befriend them, mmm the possibilities tied into that, I wonder if cartoon characters have sexual orientations, I'm not sure if I've ever seen a gay cartoon character, Bug's Bunny might have been Bi, all that kissing guys, but maybe he's just touchy feely, he and Yosemite Sam got into fight over train ride with a bunch of bathing suit models, so I know he digs the chickies, hmm, I'm going to have to get back to on this, I got to go, my stomach's killing, I knew I shouldn't had sushi from that place by the bait shop, it looked good tho, oh god...........

:tongue:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know if I could do that; I find ENTPs are generally at their healthiest and happiest when their minds are doing the mental olympics; I would feel quite cruel if I did so. Oh, well at least I know the easy way to catch the attention of an ENTP is to prove them wrong on a topic in a non threatening way, I guess at least I'm armed with some more knowledge than I was before :crazy:

Post Edit: Also sometimes INTJs can be quite emo in an immature way; is there an easy way I can make it easy for an ENTP to forgive this fault? I know that ENTPs can be quite sensitive to the emotions people emit into their environment, I can imagine that seething INTJ angst is extremely offputting and distasteful.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I dont know if I could do that; I find ENTPs are generally at their healthiest and happiest when their minds are doing the mental olympics; I would feel quite cruel if I did so. Oh, well at least I know the easy way to catch the attention of an ENTP is to prove them wrong on a topic in a non threatening way, I guess at least I'm armed with some more knowledge than I was before :crazy:
It would be a useful thing to learn to do, nonetheless. Happy though we may be to continue forever on our merry little rants, sometimes we need a reminder to take a breather!

The second part is definitely true, - "the easy way to catch the attention of an ENTP is to prove them wrong on a topic in a non threatening way" - so you're good to go. Fortunately, INTJs seem to be very good at doing this anyway!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I get super excited when someone wants to talk about things that interest me so I definitely bounce around with regard to topics. Best way to calm me down is to ask questions about one topic in particular and comment on it or to just keep bringing the conversation back to that topic. I know that I go off topic so I wouldn't care if someone gently brought me back to it, or slightly less gently even ; ) Or you could just make it a joke that I'm going off topic and to "focus." But be sure to keep asking questions or sounding interested.

Reactions: InvisibleJim

·
Registered
149 Posts

That said, I approve of this thread. I saw the title and the creator and did a little happy dance. It's about time I get some reciprocation for all of the INTJ love posts I make!

ehh well I have to disagree with this, you see at least for me, being told to 'shutup' is an insult. I find that there is indeed still room for politeness in civilized conversation, and if a member of that conversation is running a bit long, which I always seem to do [i am quite long winded], it is better for the other person to latch onto one of the many ideas I have spewed out and run with that, Entps generally do not control where a conversation goes, we simply run through a million possibilities without realizing we may be overloading someone else, so my advice is to simply use your 'J' and lay down the hammer, but in a polite way as to not ruffle feathers that need not be ruffled.

·
Registered
359 Posts
someone has to have my respect before I will not pounce on them for telling me to shut up...or they will likely never see me again...but I likely wouldn't be talking like crazy to someone who I thought wasn't worth the time anyway....I love my INTJ and wouldn't trade him for all the cake in a fat kid...I love making him laugh...and NEVER EVER have I ever been with someone I would enjoy talking with just as much as having sex with....and that is why INTJ's and ENTP's are good together :laughing:

Reactions: InvisibleJim

·
Registered
550 Posts
This reminds me of a time that I met a (suspected) INTJ guy. I had forgotten about this until now. Because I am normally really outgoing, I don't tend to notice the introverts... unless they decide to be noticed. I met a friend of a friend the other day... and right after I met him... he kinda sunk into the background. We played a pool game together, and there was minimal discussion, but I naturally emit a playful vibe, and he definitely felt at ease with that. When I beat him, I turned to him and said "nice game". He looked at me w/o missing a beat and said in a really low, direct, "go fuck yourself". I laughed so hard because I had NO DOUBT that he was being playful, and it took me by complete surprise. It's my bet that that move would only go over so well w/ an ENTP chick. He didn't say a ton, but when his clever one-liners escaped his mouth, all I could do was laugh and want to hear more!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
When I beat him, I turned to him and said "nice game". He looked at me w/o missing a beat and said in a really low, direct, "go fuck yourself". I laughed so hard because I had NO DOUBT that he was being playful, and it took me by complete surprise. It's my bet that that move would only go over so well w/ an ENTP chick.
Yeah, I think I would love ENTP females. Maybe he was an INTP.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I'll be your friend!! I love INTJ's! You should definitely find yourself an ENTP, it can be a wonderful connection. You must understand that we accept your introversion and occasional gloominess. You make up for it with brilliant intuition and intelligence. In my case, with my closest INTJ friend, it's really an opposites-attract thing. There's a fundamental understanding, but otherwise, we're very different. I'm enthusiastic and uninhibited around him and he seems to find it endearing. And he remains cool & collected, which I always try to disrupt, to no avail. I think the INTJ needs to learn not to be bugged by the ENTP's openness, and also needs to come out of his shell somewhat otherwise it will be too tough. And the ENTP needs to understand the INTJ's nature and let him be that way, although still annoying him within reason. I think it's really just about getting eachother's differences.

·
Registered
550 Posts
How Rude! :confused:
That's exactly it though, it wasn't rude at all. I don't think any response would have told me "I get you" more than that. I don't know INFJ humor, so maybe he was INTP, but regardless, he won me over for sure.

·
Banned
998 Posts
Recently I have found myself strangely fascinated by ENTPs and wanting to know more generally due to the great way they see the world as I do, intuition first; unfortunately as an INTJ I generally have very few opportunities to meet ENTPs in a friendly situation who are not co-workers.
This is very justifiable and normal, in fact. We ENTPs are, after all, rather unique. It is only natural for other lesser beings to be filled with admiration and awe when in our presence, and to have brooding curiosity about us when they're not.

ENTPs follow independence and freedom. As such, they are often the owners of successful small businesses. If you want to meet ENTPs, go to seminars filled with entrepreneurs. Most likely, an above average percentile of the attendees will be ENTP.

I generally enjoy ENTPs for their energy and ideas but I find they quite often leave me totally overloaded by bombarding me with lots of ideas and discussion on just about everything; which although I enjoy I find incredibly intimidating, forcing me to retreat to sort out what I've just discovered.
I would be interested in seeing the conclusions drawn from brain scans done on different personality types while brain storming for ideas. Most likely, you find it intimidating since we can process new ideas at a faster pace than most people. I think that if a study were done, they would find more activity in our creative part of the brain than in other types.

A lot of the time I intimidate people by my mere presence. This doesn't bother me. In fact I kind of enjoy knowing that I am able to have this effect on people. While I can't speak for all ENTPs, I simply vocalize what other people are already thinking. People sometimes get intimidated and offended. Is it my fault that other people are too sensitive to handle the truth?

My question for you is: Considering that, how can I ensure that my interactions with ENTPs are better managed so that I can steer any ENTPs into a more settled and less taxing path? Is this impossible?
It is possible in the short term, but not in the long-term. If it were myself, I might comply to your wishes for a while, if you are a superior, but in the long-run I would get bored and fed up, and I would find a way to terminate any control that superior has over me. I have no idea which situations you are imagining, whether it be in the workplace, an intimate relationship or simply a member of your water polo team. But the principle is the same in each case. We prefer to be leaders, not followers. Personally, I could give a damn if people follow me, but I will not be submissive to someone else. I do things one way, and that would be my way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts