Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
"Real Love"
Baer, Greg
"Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error"
Schulz, Kathryn

"Thinking, Fast and Slow in 30 Minutes - The Expert Guide to Daniel Kahneman's Critically Acclaimed Book (The 30 Minute Expert Series)"

Three I have ordered online today myself. A few I may order after these 3 (bearing in mind I am reading 2 right now with 8 more to read still ;) :
The Lucifer Effect: How Good People Turn Evil Philip Zimbardo Dabrowski's Theory of Positive Disintegration Sal Mendaglio Quiet Influence: The Introvert's Guide to Making a Difference Jennifer B. KahnweilerPlus Nietzsche, Tolsey, Dostovesky

·
Banned
1,742 Posts
"The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis

Very easy read...read it in about 3-4 days. In spite of its simple read...very deep.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Flowers In The Attic by V.C Andrews.

I recently just checked it out at the library. I'm not sure if its because I haven't gotten to the weird incest part yet, but I really enjoy it! The first page in the prologue will win you over easily.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Lots of profound thoughts about life and human nature. Any of the classics are good reading...try Dostoevsky or Turgenev. As an English major I read so many books.

Self-help books: Beyond Boundaries by Cloud & Townsend. I feel like this should be required reading for everyone.

And yes, I do love C.S. Lewis!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm sorry; I hadn't even heard of the "medium sensitive person". If you can't find it through a google search, then perhaps there is not book for one yet? I would suggest reading the book you mentioned and just taking from it what applies to your life. From what it sounds like, perhaps it may not all apply, but since you are a sensitive person, you will probably get something out of it.

This makes me wonder how many people read the OP though.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
@humble I'm not a medium but I get what you're getting at. A concise and thorough manual: Denning & Phillips: Psychic Self-Defense (Practical Guide to series)
or Dion Fortune's Psychic Self Defense, a solid classic but with expressed societal views that are decidedly dated and offensive from a modern perspective.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great fiction:

The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon (The Sephardic Cycle #1)

by Richard Zimler

Sold in six countries and repeatedly back to press here in the U.S., The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon is an international bestseller and an extraordinary novel that transports the reader into the universe of Jewish Kabbalah during the Lisbon massacre of April 1506. Just a few years earlier, Jews living in Portugal were dragged to the baptism font and forced to convert to Christianity. Many of these "New Christians", in secret and at great risk, persevered in their Jewish prayers and practiced their rituals, and the hidden, arcane practices of the kabbalists, a mystical sect of Jews, continued as well.One such secret Jew was Berekiah Zarco, an intelligent young manuscript illuminator. Inflamed by love and revenge, he searches, in the crucible of the raging pogrom, for the killer of his beloved uncle Abraham, a renowned kabbalist and manuscript illuminator, discovered murdered in a hidden synagogue, along with a young girl in dishabille. Risking his life in streets seething with mayhem, Berekiah tracks down answers among Christians, New Christians, Jews, and the fellow kabbatists of his uncle, whose secret language and codes at turns light and obscure the way to the truth he seeks. A marvelous read, a challenging mystery, and a telling tale of the evils of intolerance, The Lost Kabbalist of Lisbon compels and entertains.

The Last Kabbalist of Lisbon (The Sephardic Cycle, #1) by Richard Zimler - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

Foucault's Pendulum

by Umberto Eco, William Weaver (Translator)

Bored with their work, three Milanese editors cook up "the Plan," a hoax that connects the medieval Knights Templar with other occult groups from ancient to modern times. This produces a map indicating the geographical point from which all the powers of the earth can be controlled—a point located in Paris, France, at Foucault’s Pendulum. But in a fateful turn the joke becomes all too real, and when occult groups, including Satanists, get wind of the Plan, they go so far as to kill one of the editors in their quest to gain control of the earth.

Orchestrating these and other diverse characters into his multilayered semiotic adventure, Eco has created a superb cerebral entertainment.

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cosmic Trigger by Robert Anton Wilson.

This book is awesome. I recommend it to anyone that is into conspiracy theories, the illuminati, extraterrestrials, psychedelics, syncronicities, or the occult. It's very interesting and will make you think really had about the nature of reality.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Words by Jean-Paul Sartre is my favorite book (along with War and Peace) and I lend it to people as a type of idealized screening process: "maybe the person who appreciates this book as much as I do will understand me". I have yet to meet somebody who understands the appeal. Since becoming aware I'm an infj, I wonder if that appeal is based on my troubled childhood, interest in psychoanalysis, love of metaphors, and desire to become an author. Anyway, I'd be interested what others have thought of this somewhat obscure autobiography.

You have to love a book whose alternate title is "I loathe my childhood and all that remains of it".

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene. Lots of profound thoughts about life and human nature. Any of the classics are good reading...try Dostoevsky or Turgenev!
Ah . I really like Graham Greene, very good English Lit.. I also like the Russian classics. My two cents on this topic are adinge two books that I am currently reading.

1. Hard Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World - Haruki Murakami.

2. The Master And Margarita - Mikhail Bulgakov.

Both of these books are great. The classic Bulgakov is early twentieth century surrealism and the contemporary Murakami is early twenty first century surrealism. If you like this sort of thing, and I don't think that I am alone here, I am sure you would appreciate either of these.

·
Banned
1,928 Posts
Tolstoy's Anna Karenina. Part epic love story, part cautionary tale on infidelity, and part philosophical treatise on life.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Anything by Murakami!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami

Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman (short story collection) - Haruki Murakami

Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu

Tao: The Watercourse Way - Alan Watts

An Introduction to Zen Buddhism - D.T. Suzuki

Quiet - Susan Cain

·
Registered
328 Posts
OP, I wish I knew, but @Blindfolded Miles has probably the best advice on this. I'd guess that if you are unusually sensitive, or sensitive enough that high sensitivity describes something you are somewhat like, unlike many others, that's probably enough that much of it is going to apply to you or else understanding the dynamics of extremes you don't exhibit may still be useful for you. I'm tempted to think the people who named the condition just put "highly" in front of "sensitive" because there has to be some way to distinguish it as something other than wholly common. I wouldn't let the name keep you from reading whatever you can find on the dynamics of this condition. In fact I think I'll join you because it sounds very interesting!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts