Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which book would you recommend being an INTP? Preferably if it changed your perspective about the world or something big.

I recommend 1984. Despite being ponderous to read, it talks about a perfect system and it´s cool to read about it.

·
Banned
339 Posts
Anything by Dostoevky. He totally changed the way I look at people and the world.

Reactions: FranklTheTankl

·
Banned
339 Posts
I have "The Karamazov Brothers" but haven´t read it, do you recommend me to start there?
I wouldn't suggest starting with The Karamazov Brother, because it's his last work and it's quite complex. You can start with Memories from the Underground and Crime and Punishment.

Reactions: FranklTheTankl

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't suggest starting with The Karamazov Brother, because it's his last work and it's quite complex. You can start with Memories from the Underground and Crime and Punishment.
Thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
24 Posts
no waaay, i came here to recommend 1984. intps eat that shit up. my favourite author is chuck palahniuk. i STRONGLY recommend fight club, invisible monsters, choke, lullaby, haunted and pygmy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dracula - Bram Stoker

Wouldn't have expected it in a million years. Sort of read it because there wasn't much else to read for me at that point in time, but that one blew my socks off. Not a classic for naught.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
The world is absurd: Catch 22

All the big questions get addressed:

Who is Spain?
Why is Hitler?
Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

And if you think those aren't big, there are some that aren't even bigger.
I bought Blood Meridian last week, specificially because you talked about it two or three times. And now this... It's all a lie...

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I bought Blood Meridian last week, specificially because you talked about it two or three times. And now this... It's all a lie...
No lie, just a mood swing.

Still, let me know what you think of Blood Meridian. You know, after you get around to reading it.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Marcus Aurelius - Meditations (this one really did convert the way I think about people)
Jonathan Haidt - The Righteous Mind
Richard Dawkins - The Selfish Gene
James Gleick - Chaos: Making a new science
Terence McKenna - Food of the Gods
Terence McKenna - The Archaic Revival
Anything from Aldous Huxley
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
Ernest Becker - Denial of Death
Niccolo Machiavelli - The Prince

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No lie, just a mood swing.

Still, let me know what you think of Blood Meridian. You know, after you get around to reading it.
I liked Blood Meridian because a lot of the western historical stuff in there, but it was just a little too dark for my taste. I liked the Lonesome Dove four book series(not the movie sequel) because even though it was dark in it's realism there was still something else to it.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I liked Blood Meridian because a lot of the western historical stuff in there, but it was just a little too dark for my taste. I liked the Lonesome Dove four book series(not the movie sequel) because even though it was dark in it's realism there was still something else to it.
The darkness was the point, for me anyway. The historical western stuff was secondary. Attempting to convey the innate dark side of human nature, the ugly bits of the collective unconscious. Lots of tarot symbolism in there too, archetypes in the Jungian sense. The Judge being the most obvious of these.

Judgement (reversed): Refusal of self-examination

Dig deep! Look at it! Look! That's the part of you that really, really enjoyed Goodfellas and chuckled inside when Joe Pesci said, "Make that coffee to go."

I don't want to spoil anything for @NipNip other than to say it's worth translating the Latin, the Spanish, looking up what The Four of Cups symbolizes, etc. No, I'll save him a bit of work: Four of Cups = Apathy

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
@NipNip

Some people say they can't bring themselves to finish reading it. Not because the writing is particularly difficult but because it's so brutal, violent and depraved. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
@DarkBarlow I agree. And obviously since I loved that and a few other similar scenes in Goodfellas, I can't deny most of us have that darkness to us. Won't say any more about the book since NipNIp is going to read it. It's one I read once, and was glad I did for multiple reasons, but did not keep it in my library to read again at some point in the future.

Sidenote: Favorite scene in Goodfellas was Pesci's "I'm a funny guy?" bit.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts