Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recommend*

My uncle gave me a hundred bucks to spend on books. I've spent around sixty on the ones I've had an eye on for a while now, but I'm not entirely sure what to spend the last forty on. I like most genres so long as the prose and other elements of the story are not half-assed.

I was originally going to put this in the book forum, but I want answers from an INTP perspective.

NO YOUNG ADULT LITERATURE!

Reactions: this is my username

·
Registered
729 Posts
Well.... if you're interested there's this unpublished novel .... Lol. Just kidding. You specific genres do you like, because "Young Adult" is more vague than you can imagine.

·
MOTM Feb 2010
4,773 Posts
Philip K. Dick

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well.... if you're interested there's this unpublished novel .... Lol. Just kidding. You specific genres do you like, because "Young Adult" is more vague than you can imagine.
I would say speculative fiction, magic realism, cyberpunk, metamodernist, and surrealism are the type of works I read the most.

Philip K. Dick
Good recommendation, but I've read enough of that lunatics work to satisfy me for now.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Starfish by Peter Watts. I think I liked that book a little too much...

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Viktor Pelevin
I think I might buy Buddhas Little Finger, sounds interesting.

Starfish by Peter Watts. I think I liked that book a little too much...
The premise sounds good, the only thing holding me back is, besides the bad ass last line, I didn't particularly like his short story The Things. I guess I shouldn't let one short ruin an author for me though.

Snow Crash, Diamond Age, and/or Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
Fucking thank ye. I always remember that I want to read Snow Crash when I don't have money. Deff gunna buy.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The premise sounds good, the only thing holding me back is, besides the bad ass last line, I didn't particularly like his short story The Things. I guess I shouldn't let one short ruin an author for me though.
I haven't read any of his short stories. He seems to do pretty well in long form, though. Thanks for the tip.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Umberto Eco, Gabriel García Márquez, Jorge Luis Borges and Julio Cortázar for starters.
Love in the Time of Cholera sounds good, I might buy that.

·
Banned
2,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I'm currently on a non-fiction kick, but the last fiction book I read was The Young Lions by Irwin Shaw.

·
Registered
7,657 Posts
I don't read much fiction, but I do like Douglas Adams and Brian Lumley.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Love in the Time of Cholera sounds good, I might buy that.
Oh, it is. And might I also recommend "Chronicle of a Death Foretold"? It's sort of an investigation of a murder but undertaken like 40 years after the fact, and it's very complex and intriguing.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts