Personality Cafe banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I was reading a thread in the Cognitive Functions section of the forum and there was ongoing discussion about how economics was one of those subjects that is naturally suited to the way Ni users think. This surprised me, as I had always thought economics to be a boring subject so never looked into studying it, and I got to wondering what other subjects are out there that would be a good fit.

What subjects have you studied that have come so easily to you that they are almost common-sense? And do you think that these are the sort of subjects that INFJ's should seek out, because they can easily become experts in the field and therefore easily progress the subject further than its current limits and contribute something substantial towards society? Or do you think that we should seek out subjects that we don't naturally understand, in order to grow intellectually?

I'll throw out another subject - sociology. I enjoyed sociology at school, but it was so ridiculously easy for me that I became more interested in psychology because it was a greater intellectual challenge. I've always berated myself for not studying psychology at university, but now I'm starting to wonder if I made a great mistake not pursuing sociology.

I guess another one would be R.E. or theology?

·
Super Moderator
11,229 Posts
I received an AAS in Business Office Administration back in 1996. I did if for feasability. I had two young children at the time. I can do it in my sleep now. I wished I could have done more with English. I wanted more than anything to major in English! Creative writing would have been the direction I would have gone. The head of the English department nominated me for honors english for the next semester, but I was to graduate and had all my classes set up to that end. I taught myself poetry. I guess I could teach myself creative writing. I did take one non-fiction class as an elective. I had a teacher that was horrible, and I am being kind with this statement. I almost walked out of his class. I wasn't the only one who had issue with him. He had a handshake that was like a wet noodle! Psychology would be my second pick, after English that is.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
I think this is better determined by multiple intelligences test than MBTI personality type. Functions are more like mindsets that determine what a person will enjoy, rather than skillsets that determine what a person will be good at.

My favorite subject in school was quite surprisingly math. But it may be perhaps because we had some really cool math teachers who gave us interesting homework instead of bs homework that so many other teachers liked to assign. Other classes that came easy to me where sciences, statistics, arts. In college I took various electives and enjoyed economics and urban studies and city planning. If it wasn't for such a poor job prospect for urban studies majors I might have even majored in that (I guess this can be considered a branch of sociology, studying how people live in cities for better city planning). I have never taken a psychology or sociology classes, but I've read a bit out of some textbooks. To me it sounded pretty much like any other science really - set up experiments or perform or study, then publish your findings and conclusions. I ended up majoring in chemistry and among chemistry classes I performed best in physical, organic, inorganic, and computational chemistry classes. The most difficult subjects for me as the ones that require memorization of a ton of detail - history, biology, and biochemistry classes. In fact biochem was the most difficult for me out of the entire chem series I had to take due to excessive attention to details and nomenclature. Oh yeah another one that came easy to me was computer programming. I took a few classes in it as it was a fad in my ethnic community for both girls and guys to major in this, but ended up getting bored to tears, such that second quarter I could hardly motivate myself to do any work for this class.

303 Posts
my econ teacher said i was a natural, but I also found it rather dull.

Psychology interests me, and i am currently pursuing a degree in Information Systems. I'm not yet sure if I'm suited for that or if i will find that interesting.

·
Registered
INFP
1,042 Posts
I'd say psychology and philosophy are pretty Ni friendly as well. Since all the concepts are interrelated and you got to look into possibilities. But I think that most subjects in and university in general are quite N friendly. Above all you got to understand how things work to plug it in your mental scheme instead of memorizing and forgetting it all the next day.

I'd say macroeconomy was pretty easy to get for me. It's articulated around general concepts and ideas. Everything is quite logical: this variable affect this one and then this other one and so on. Microeconomy was another story since it's more detail oriented but it wasn't that hard.

Been studying administration and you can make links between all the field (hr, marketing, sales, economy, finance, management, operation, accounting, strategy, international trades, etc.) quite easily to build your ideal of the perfect company. It's a bit like a home made recipe: a bit of this and then a bit of that, mix it all together and bam! You got it. Of course this is only useful if you plan to start an economic entity at some point or if you work in an organization involving economic exchange.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Subjects I enjoyed most in college....

Psychology related type subjects and microeconomics -- they were such fun to me!! I didn't care for macroeconomics as much because it was more memorization of policies and a general view. Microeconomics is just more fun to think through..... forces you to problem-solve, which many people can not do, but if I just sit and imagine it in my head it just makes sense.

I feel like such a nerd. :blushed:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Psychology, sociology, religion. All those people-centered subjects I enjoy. I think it also has to do with much of the content is not "set in stone" per say. Many of these areas have theories and different ways of looking at things. There is no one answer for many of the questions. One theorist's idea can be justified just as much as the other (i.e. Marx/Weber, Erikson/Freud etc.). Also many ideas are related and finding connections is what many of the professors at my school stressed on. That is what I really liked about taking those subjects. The Ni can really do a lot with that type of stuff.

I never took anthropology but I think I would have enjoyed it just as much. I ended up majoring in psychology with a minor in sociology. I plan on continuing on to getting a master's in counseling.

Economics? I found it so boring in high school when I took a class on it.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
It's exactly like learning a new language. I have great ability in the written word (it's one of the few things I can do well) and combined with my Ni, it makes writing programs the coolest homework assignments ever.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
The OP speaks of things coming easily to you. I suggest dissociating this mostly from cognitive type. This isn't what type really makes sense to measure. For that, one had best design a career test.

One can maybe obtain info on what careers or topics might typically interest certain types, but interest =/= skill. Also, being a Fi-dom doesn't imply you can't perform the skills associated to Te well.

"I'm very Te" should be a statement about personality type, not about how analytical one is, but very often/almost always this is botched.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I'm sure a lot of Ni doms enjoy economics, although I would think it would be more interesting to your average INTJ than to your average INFJ. However, I'm sure there are plenty of exceptions. Myers Briggs tells you someone's cognitive functions and not what their academic gifts and interests are so I'd never make assumptions based purely on type.

Personally, I'm not a fan of economics, I prefer literature, politics, and history. In college I was an English major.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Algebra. Shocking and elating cause i suck at arithmetic.
Evolutionary biology. it has the entire the world can be expressed in a cell sort of vibe to it. like everything is connected by an underlying rule.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I had natural talent in art, music, languages, religious studies (minus ethics for some reason, found those classes boring) and poetry in school. Depending on the teacher I sporadically did very well in biology and chemistry too. I only took one economics course and did receive the top mark but I'm not really interested in that subject.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts