Personality Cafe banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ti is often seen as being analytical, dissecting, good at clarifying thoughts, understanding how things work behind in the logical realm, etc. (this is overly generalized but you get the idea)

Is Fi any similar regarding the emotional side of feelings? I can see how it works similarly (through reasoning) with feelings in the context of morality or meaningfulness, but what about those?

I was thinking about how to me concepts of friendship or love or (…) are quite vague in a sense. I feel strongly about them, with certitude, like a “sharp” feeling - but the “definitions”, the categories, are somewhat vague. It’s a bit hard to explain, but for example friendship: I feel like I would need a different word to qualify my relationship with any of my friends, because I like them differently, on so many different levels, and I just can’t feel ok to just categorize them all under the “friendship” tag; sometimes it overlaps with love, sometimes it overlaps with other things.
Another example would be how in sadness I also might feel beauty, or meaning, or something somewhat positive, and in a sense the term “sadness” is a bit limited and not satisfactory.

I’m aware that most of these have more to do with emotions than actual Jungian feelings. But I wonder if any relate, or on the contrary can clearly feel those distinctions? Do emotions have a clear boundary to you?

Maybe that’s a wrong analogy and what I feel is lacking in me would rather be the emotional counterpart of Te rather than Ti (categorizing in such way being more Te-like than Ti-like)?

·
Banned
5,314 Posts
Any emotion elicits a physical response. To me anger feels a lot different from annoyed & sad feels completely different from sombre, while one could argue these emotions are closely related. So yes I can dissect my own feelings pretty well, I can perfectly describe whatever it is that I am feeling. That might be down to my well developed Fi, but I also believe that the older you get and the more emotions you experience you become more adept at recognizing & describing all emotions.

Emotions do not have clear boundaries though. There is not a line where happy ends and ecstatic starts all of a sudden, emotions are on a spectrum (for me at least, I can't speak for the inner world of others). What I also experience sometimes are 'emotional whirlwinds' which is basically multiple emotions flowing through my body. Those are sometimes confusing and I definitely need a lot more time than usual in order to figure out what I am feeling exactly. This, for me, is proof that emotions do not have clear boundaries. They are on a spectrum, they are connected AND they mix sometimes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts