Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....here is a question for all the cerebral types:

What would you rather regret, something you did....or something you didn't do?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I always say I would rather regret something I did than something I didn't do, but then I do sometimes end up regretting the things I've done! I tend to think though that things usually work out for the best, sometimes something can look like a bad move but it turns out to have repercussions later on that you value and wouldn't have happened otherwise. Like I wanted to move to Canada when I was in my early 20s, and I sort of regret not doing that, but my mum died when i was only 23 and if I'd moved away I would have had even less time to spend with her so it all worked out in the right way really.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Something I did, duh. Much rather have more experiences with some misfires, than be cautious with some misfires, simply put.

·
Registered
286 Posts
It depends on what I did/didn't do. Like would you rather regret cheating on a test, or not cheating on a test and failing the semester, resulting in the disappointment of your loved ones? In this case I'd feel more regret in what I did do. Or not telling someone that everyone was planning on humiliating them after school or telling them and loosing the trust of my 'friends.' In that case I would feel regret for what I did not do. I would rather regret a decision that effected me negatively than a decision that effected others negatively.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Something I didn't do. There's a lot of things I wished I could have done but never had the courage or will power to do. I could be different from where I stand today.

Sure I have many things I regretted doing, but I'm learning from them. Making mistakes makes me wiser.

4,757 Posts
I always regret doing things because I'd rather not do something than take the risk of doing something.

·
Registered
224 Posts
That's a tough question! But really, I think whatever you've done in your past is ancient history so there's really not much point fixating on it. For stuff you never did, though, all you can do is wonder, What if?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hands down, something I did.

When I graduated high school, I promised myself that I'd live my life in a way that I'd have as few regrets as possible. A dozen years later, I regard that decision as one of the best I've ever made. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone, get my hands dirty and really strive to reach my goals. My regrets are positive ones, if that makes any sense. It's much easier for me to live with the thought of, "Even though I failed, at least I did my best" verses, "I wish I had done this...".

Has it been easy? No. Has it been worth it? Undoubtedly!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Haha, I have done some very stupid things that I tend to feel worse about than the stupid things I didn't do. But, I guess the 'right' answer is to prefer for the things you regret to be things you've actually done. Stand up to that bully, take that risky job on another continent, kiss that pretty girl and the consequences be damned. 'Better to have loved and lost' etc. etc., we've heard it so many times we should know it by heart. I wish I was half that brave.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Depends on the severity of both items in question.

For example:

Which of the two things would you regret more:

Murder or Not going to college?

(Ask yourself if it would depend on whether you were caught too).

This is too vague a question for me to really answer with any certainty.

BUT I will say I'm going to try to live my life so that I regret nothing!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would rather make awesome decisions and regret neither. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts