Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're supposed to be masters improvisers, and that's true, but a lot of times I catch myself rehearsing for something I'm going to say. Like last night, I was going to donate blood, just out of boredom, and when I was a feel meters from the hospital I started answering the possible questions in my head because I wanted to project confidence (I'm obsessed with projecting confidence ). But It wasn't a rational thing, I didn't say to myself 'Let's rehearse', I just did it without thinking.

How often do you rehearse what you're going to say? Which function do you think makes you do this more often?

·
Registered
ENFP, 7w6
2,123 Posts
Sadly, for those around me, I seldom ever think before opening my mouth, let alone rehearse. I will run though formal presentations ahead of time, but that's about it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Depends on the person I guess. Not everything is specific to type. E's tend to not rehearse what they say and just blab it out. I's try to think about it a bit. That's just in general, every situation warrants it's own response. Some things I'll practice and others I just go with it and see what happens.

·
Registered
738 Posts
@StaggerLee lol I "rehearse" all the time. Could be the "P" because there are sooo many possibilities of things to say, we just want to come out with the most perfect possible answer. Then again, maybe it's the "N" part, because we're always running waaay ahead of the show, thinking of what "might happen". And maybe the two conspire together...

·
Registered
9,800 Posts
Rehearse, heh, what is that ;) I can remember when i was a kid , if i knew i was getting into trouble i may have gone through the best scenario in my mind to weasel my way out, other than that, i can`t think of a time i have. Not always a good thing thou, foot doesn`t always taste so good in mouth ;)

·
Banned
4,611 Posts
I rehearse the crap out of things. Well, certain things. Anything that rides on charm, I'll count on charm to win for me -- and charm usually sounds better and more natural when it's unrehearsed. But if there's some emotionally complex situation that requires being subtle/careful, I'll do a lot of thinking beforehand about how to best approach it.

·
QUEEN PEEN
9,303 Posts
I rehearse sometimes, especially if it's a conversation that's important in my mind. I will plan shit out and even write down things that I wanna say on occasion :p It really depends on how much importance I place on the situation.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Rehearsing, oddly enough, is paramount to good improvisation. The more situations that you can quickly and comfortably navigate, the more "space" you have left in your mind to think on your feet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts