Personality Cafe banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
No.

There are several positions which are minoritarian are held, for example, in (Anglo-Austro-American) philosophy (realism about States of Affairs [Sachverhalte], non-computational theories of mind, assertion of a positive meaning to linguistic statements about inexistent objects, for example), but these and others are well-documented, well-funded, and so aren't called radical, except either by reasonable detractors, or by people influenced by relics from the history of philosophy like idealist phenomenology (as opposed to realist phenomenology, in the early Husserl, Ingarden, Husserl's earliest disciples, and which is the only phenomenology considered today, except among literary critics, who are not in a position to create coherent arguments in defense of their poststructuralist icons).

However, it has been true that reasonable suggestions have been considered radical at one time, but are now either mainstream, or among the strongly-supported minority views. Kripke's possible-world semantics is an excellent example, it seems to me.

I very much doubt that a view which is "radical" today is anything analogous to, say, something radical in Galileo's time, given the comparatively free access to scholarly texts, and the more-or-less liberal (in the non-political or economic sense) constitution of many Western university departments.

So, instead, it seems to me that there are, on the one hand, a set of ideas which are documented, explained, applied, which have a relative ranking in popularity that shifts somewhat over time, and there's a separate category for outright cranks -- people who claim to disprove Cantor's theorem, or claim to have a solution to P=NP (I see you're a computer scientist from your blog, so I'm including some examples familiar to you), or things of that nature.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
I'm not certain radical would be the best word. When I was younger, I suspected some people didn't take some of my ideas (for solutions) seriously because of age (lack of experience) and gender (females tend to be taken less seriously than males where I'm from).

It seems to me that communicating where I'm coming from is probably the easiest way to implement my solution if I care enough that my solution be implemented. If it's really all that practical and obvious, it should be to others. I don't work in a position where I can really dramatically change the world whether or not one of my ideas is taken seriously. And, the areas where I could make a strong impression on the world are areas where I am in control of all the decision making processes.

The closest I come to this is being in situations where my ideas are so out of the box that others laugh or make fun of what seems to be an unrelated or naive idea (in which I usually don't feel compelled to explain myself).

- - - - - - - -

I do have to say, though, if asked for my opinion about ways to overhaul and improve certain societal systems (prison system, for example), my solution would be exceedingly radical.

Reactions: lib and jtour
1 - 3 of 3 Posts