Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
ENTJ
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it weird that I usually relate more to ISFJs than ENTPs?
I almost never identify with ENTP characters, or ENTPs around me, but I relate strongly to ISFJs.
For example, before I even knew about Myers-Briggs, I related strongly to Jay Gatsby, Captain America, and John Watson. I now believe them all to be ISFJs....>> ISFJ – Page 2 – The Book Addict's Guide to MBTI:
In each character's film, I chose them out of all the others to be the closest to my own personality, even though they are my dual type.

Is there a reason for this? Has anyone else ever experienced something similar?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
But I thought that was between two people of opposite types, not one person?
Because wouldn't that be your shadow functions that's your "dual type?" (In my case, INTJ)
Your dual type, in mbti terms is the one with all opposite letters. In your case INTJ is your shadow

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
how do you know you are an ENTP, if you think you're really similar to people you think are ISFJ? or vice versa, why do you think those people are ISFJ if they're so similar to you and you're ENTP? etc. lol

·
Registered
ENTJ
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not relating to a personality type could be a sign that you have mistyped yourself.
[email protected]

I've done a lot of research and taken multitudes of tests that have led me to the conclusion that my cognitive functions are in the order of Ne > Ti > Fe > Si, and not Si > Fe > Ti > Ne.
It's just in behavior that I relate to them, I suppose. Which is what I find to be odd.
So perhaps it's just that I perceive myself to act more ISFJ, when in reality I act more like my own type. I don't know. I'm just rambling xD

·
Registered
16 Posts
I kind of agree, most other INTPs I meet I don't agree with much. But that's just the nature of us have strong opinions on things, and when they aren't the same we tend to argue. But I am still friends with those people

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
What truly matters is whether you relate to the TYPE or the PEOPLE (or characters). I can relate to behaviour of the ESFJs I know but it's more of "I wish I was this good with Fe and I see where you're coming from." rather than "This is so me!". If you know you would act exactly the same way in their place, it could be a sign of being mistyped. But if you can relate to them on a hypothetical level, then it could be due to attraction to their functions.

·
Registered
In my own world :)
6,598 Posts
I think that if you are an XNTP female, you might find SFJ traits showing up, simple because XSFJ is how females are encouraged to behaved from early childhood on. You may be accommodating, subconsciously, in your behavior, to what others expect out of you without realizing it, while you might be only consciously aware of the resulting behavior. It may not necessarily be the reason why you relate to ISFJs, but it's an idea. When I'm in work mode, I relate a lot of ESTPs, because I work in an auto related industry in which ESTPs have an advantage, so I put on my "shadow persona" to fill a need to respond to what others expect out of me, with making a conscious effort to do so.

I always say, humans are pretty fluid, you're not going to act Ne-Ti 100% of the time. That's just the functions you're the most comfortable and confident with. But how you actually operate on a daily basis fluctuates a lot. I find, for myself, I relate a lot to INFJs, ENFJs, ISTPs, and ESTPs, a lot, and some individuals of other types I will relate to more than my own, it depends on shared interests, values, etc. So that might be a factor. Also being a 9w8 might be a factor. 9's tend to more introverted SJ types.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've done a lot of research and taken multitudes of tests that have led me to the conclusion that my cognitive functions are in the order of Ne > Ti > Fe > Si, and not Si > Fe > Ti > Ne.
I've realised that functions and MBTI does not necessarily have a correlation. I'm INxP (slightly more feeling than thinking) but my dom functions are Ne-Ti rather than Fi-Ne or Ti-Ne. That doesn't necessarily make me an ENTP.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
What do you mean by "relate"?

I don't think it's uncommon for your dual type to have some sort of appeal. In the lens of MBTI, it's "opposites attract" in the sense that the two complement each other. My parents are INFP and ESTJ. My mom helps my father dream and take chances. My dad forces my mom to stick to a timeline and budget and stay on track. My INFJ sister married an ESTP. He forces her to relax and experience the present. She forces him to work toward the future.

As an INTP, I'm drawn to a lot of ESFJ characters--Jessica Fletcher (Murder, She Wrote), Elle Woods (Legally Blonde), Cher Horowitz (Clueless), Peter (White Collar)--not because I'm like them, but because they're so unlike me. I don't know if I could ever have the ESFJ's self-possession and ability to juggle all sorts of personal information. I can have a hard time with INTP characters simply because they tend to make the same mistakes I do (for example, Mozzie's neuroticism on White Collar). But I definitely self-identify with other INTPs more than ESFJs.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 sp
5,324 Posts
I agree it depends on exactly why/how you are relating to those characters. Sometimes I do relate to characters that are not the same type as me in the sense of values or things they've gone through and stuff, but of the characters that I see myself in, I don't think any of them would be considered ESTJ.

·
Registered
ENTJ
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that if you are an XNTP female, you might find SFJ traits showing up, simple because XSFJ is how females are encouraged to behaved from early childhood on. You may be accommodating, subconsciously, in your behavior, to what others expect out of you without realizing it, while you might be only consciously aware of the resulting behavior. It may not necessarily be the reason why you relate to ISFJs, but it's an idea. When I'm in work mode, I relate a lot of ESTPs, because I work in an auto related industry in which ESTPs have an advantage, so I put on my "shadow persona" to fill a need to respond to what others expect out of me, with making a conscious effort to do so.

I always say, humans are pretty fluid, you're not going to act Ne-Ti 100% of the time. That's just the functions you're the most comfortable and confident with. But how you actually operate on a daily basis fluctuates a lot. I find, for myself, I relate a lot to INFJs, ENFJs, ISTPs, and ESTPs, a lot, and some individuals of other types I will relate to more than my own, it depends on shared interests, values, etc. So that might be a factor. Also being a 9w8 might be a factor. 9's tend to more introverted SJ types.
Thanks! Yeah, that makes sense.

·
Registered
ENTJ
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What do you mean by "relate"?
I mean that normally, if I'm watching a movie or reading a book, if there's an ISFJ present, that's the character I normally identify with. It's not always the case, but it's happened enough times that I started to wonder why that was.
But it's probably just a type 9 sort of thing.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I mean that normally, if I'm watching a movie or reading a book, if there's an ISFJ present, that's the character I normally identify with. It's not always the case, but it's happened enough times that I started to wonder why that was.
But it's probably just a type 9 sort of thing.
Tests and celebrity types can be misleading. The main feature of ENTP is Ne or Extraverted Intuition. Do you experience it in your daily life?

·
Registered
ENTJ
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Tests and celebrity types can be misleading. The main feature of ENTP is Ne or Extraverted Intuition. Do you experience it in your daily life?
I'm fairly certain I do. I'm always looking for new tidbits knowledge to add to my "database" that I can use in debates and conversations. And I'm always creating new things, but I never stay on one project for too long; it bores me, since I'm always coming up with new projects to start on. That sounds pretty Ne, right?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I'm fairly certain I do. I'm always looking for new tidbits knowledge to add to my "database" that I can use in debates and conversations. And I'm always creating new things, but I never stay on one project for too long; it bores me, since I'm always coming up with new projects to start on. That sounds pretty Ne, right?
Intuition is an unconscious process and not a conscious one.

Intuition gives outlook and insight; it revels in the garden of magical possibilities as if they were real. [“The Psychology of the Transference,” CW 16, par. 492.]

In intuition a content presents itself whole and complete, without our being able to explain or discover how this content came into existence. Intuition is a kind of instinctive apprehension, no matter of what contents. … Intuitive knowledge possesses an intrinsic certainty and conviction. [“Definitions,” CW 6, par. 770.]

Intuition – Jungian definition

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I mostly relate to xxFP characters, especially INFPs. Of course, the character I relate to the most is obviously Tetsuo from Akira. Other INFP characters I relate to include Fujino from Kara No Kyoukai and Rika from Higurashi. As for other characters I relate to, Shiro from Deadman Wonderland is an ESFP, Ryuuga from Beyblade is an ISFP (I could see him as an INFP), and Lucy from Elfen Lied is a broken ENFP, and when I say broken, I mean reversed functions, so effectively an ISTJ, which would be the closest thing to me relating to a type opposite of mine. Actually, now that I think about it, I do relate to Cerea from Monster Musume, an ISTJ, just because I have big boobs but I can't help it and I just want a serious non-slutty relationship.

However, most of my favorite characters who I don't relate to but just think are cool (and would have a crush on during my preteen years before I stopped being a rabid fangirl) are ISTJs. I've been crazy for Sesshomaru from Inuyasha, Kratos from Tales Of Symphonia, and the list goes on. Yamada from the Akira manga was even so cool that I drooled, despite the fact that he happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time on the wrong side and Tetsuo made him explode into blood. But as for ESTJ characters, there just aren't that many of them. The only major one I can think of who is even remotely attractive is Mello from Death Note, and while he is cool, I just prefer lone wolf ISTJs.

But speaking of ISTJs, my mom's one, and her favorite Disney characters are usually ExxPs, especially Timon from the Lion King, who I have seen typed as different kinds of ExxP. She says she relates to him because he's clever.

Reactions: autsdraws
1 - 20 of 20 Posts