Personality Cafe banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if I have asked this before...I know I've mentioned it in passing in other comments, but I don't think I've actually posted it....

So my dad is text book ISTJ. I'm pretty classic ENFP (a little more reserved than many, but I've got issues) but my whole life I've really related to my dad. He's always been a good friend. We have the same sense of humor and the same thoughts & views on life, though we often come to the conclusions from completely different angles. My mom (an ISFJ) once told me she was jealous because he and I understood each other more than she and I did. (I get along with her too, but the communication isn't quite as effortless). My dad throughout my life has made many comments about how much in common we have...and yet, I relate to ENFP and he relates to ISTJ. Are we mistyping ourselves horribly or is there a tendancy to relate to your opposite type? I know we have the same functions only in reverse....do any of you really feel a connection with an ENFP?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I understand what you're saying, and close to the same thing happens when I work with ENFPs. Like my boss, we get along real well, have a lot of the same views on life and communicate almost effortlessly, even though everyone says she's tough to get along with. Trying to understand their thought process drives me insane though, even if I had the same conclusion.

You probably aren't mistyping yourselves.

·
Registered
9,482 Posts
My boss is an ENFP and I personally find it VERY difficult to communicate with her. I have to consciously edit what comes out of my mouth when I speak to her, because otherwise she misunderstands what I say or acts offended. It's possible, but VERY difficult (at least for me).

Having said that though, there are times where she's accommodated me. The other night, I called her because I'd requested her help on a school project (I'd emailed her and hadn't heard anything back for over a week). My phone call was only meant to be a reminder; however, she somehow knew that I had ants in my pants because the deadline was approaching, so she dropped what she was doing and answered my questions right down the list, and in order!

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have a female ENFP friend- she is the best friend I've ever had! (Note: I did not say she was my "best friend") I talk with her (on average) two times a week for a half an hour, and I am nearly almost always late for class! (Note: "Late" means being only 5 minutes early for class.) When we can't meet up, I don't take it as an insult (like I sometimes do with others) and I am also not as afraid to cancel on her last minute (Note: "Last minute" means at least 12 hours before the said meeting time.) I know that saying this seems silly, but I've never been so comfortable in a "friends" relationship.
We always connect. We love talking about philosophy, and I trust her so much that I can say anything when I'm around her. Sometimes I don't understand where she's coming from, but we're very understanding and curious of each other, and we ask a LOT of questions! She is my only friend that is "into"/is aware of MBTI, and we find it fascinating that we are opposites. While sometimes I worry about her and her strange non-future-planning ways, I truly believe that she will have the best life possible- that makes me extremely happy.
We've had our disagreements too. But we're extremely accepting of each other- I think that is something that she has rubbed off onto me. We always joke about how we have "nothing in common", but then we spend hours conversing and relating with one another.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts